The Office (US)

Mr. Brightside

On 20/06/2019 at 17:10, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've started watching this. It's fucking hilarious. 

This was on the Paramount freeview channel for two weeks, two episodes a day every weekday. It disappeared after that, then I found them showing one episode at half six on a Sunday morning or something equally ridiculous. Shite state of affairs.

On 30/07/2020 at 22:36, Bairnardo said:

Just started this.

Does it get better? Cos I dont like it at all yet

The pilot is basically a direct lift of the original Office. Then when it got picked up for its first season it only had 5 of its own episodes. That's not really enough for most US sitcoms to find its own voice and supporting cast of characters that make 22+ episode seasons work.

By the second season i'd say it gets a lot better than its beginnings.

On 24/10/2018 at 07:14, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

As someone who absolutely loved (and still watches regularly) the UK version, I cannot believe I've waited so long to watch this US one.
Currently half way through series 7, and its amazing.
Echo what everyone said regarding Dwight, one of the best characters ever to grace a comedy screen.
Creed, Kelly and Kevin are also absolutely brilliant also.
The fire drill is probably one of my favourite parts of any TV series I have ever seen, along with the lip sync intro to series 7.

I fucking love that folk are just discovering how great the US Office is. 

On 26/10/2018 at 17:42, Sliced Bread said:

I got the DVD box set for Christmas last year, pretty much the only reason I still own a DVD player. It does go badly downhill towards the end but series 1-5 stands up as one of the best sitcoms ever imo. 

I think it gets a bit of harsh treatment from folk. It defo goes downhill a bit but the Dwight story line alone is worth the last few seasons. I think it's a fucking masterpiece.

On 30/07/2020 at 23:29, Bairnardo said:

The first episode was a carbon copy, almost word for word of the UK one. It is getting  better though already

I think season 1 is basically a copy of season 1 of the UK version but with a few Americanism twists. Season 2 it explodes into it's own and only on a rewatch do you really appreciate what they did with "their" word for word version of season 1.

I am battering through it just now and watch about 5 episodes a night after the wean goes down. It's so great.

As soon as Steve Carell leaves you can stop watching. Towards the end there are some terrible characters, ridiculous plotlines and a general exaggeration of everything (e.g. Kevin gets more idiotic with every season).

When it was at its peak (S2-4) it was the best thing on TV, but it really lost its way. Compare that to 30 Rock which was incredibly consistent in its quality of output.

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I fucking love that folk are just discovering how great the US Office is. 

I think it gets a bit of harsh treatment from folk. It defo goes downhill a bit but the Dwight story line alone is worth the last few seasons. I think it's a fucking masterpiece.

I think season 1 is basically a copy of season 1 of the UK version but with a few Americanism twists. Season 2 it explodes into it's own and only on a rewatch do you really appreciate what they did with "their" word for word version of season 1.

I am battering through it just now and watch about 5 episodes a night after the wean goes down. It's so great.

Absolutely right man.

Loved it. Could have done without the Robert California guff though 

On 21/07/2020 at 16:23, bernardblack said:

Excellent podcast out now...”oral history of the office” from the fella that plays Kevin Malone.

Interviews from the creators, directors, cast and Ricky & Stephen Merchant etc

I didn't know this but I literally just started "the Office Ladies" pod with Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsley.

Guest bernardblack
I didn't know this but I literally just started "the Office Ladies" pod with Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsley.

How is it? It’s next on my list.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ach wasn't a fan of the character sorry, felt it was just a bit too similar to Michael but more slapstick.
I think that was the point. Could be over thinking it but I always thought it was a deliberate nod to Michael but also showing that he wasn't that bad a boss.

Of course, it could haven't just been a chance to let Ferrell piss about for a days filming lol

• 2 months later...