Your Old Stadium

Royal Gymnasium ?????

There is a small display to St Bernard's in Clerk's Bar, Dundas Street. (fine ales can also be purchased). The gates to the bridge could still be seen (and probably still can- haven't been down that way for a while) a few years ago.

post-12982-0-58241100-1390523686_thumb.j

the City Cup- as seen at Gretna 2008 this season..

A few action pics with the old covered North terrace in the background.

post-1545-0-69636300-1390523913_thumb.jp

Donnie McKinnon outjumps a certain Alexander Ferguson in front of a packed crowd against Rangers in the late 60s.

post-1545-0-83866000-1390524011_thumb.jppost-1545-0-74765400-1390524026_thumb.jp

A 1969 fixture against Raith Rovers. Slightly sparser crowd but still decent compared to these days. In the picture on the right Jimmy Bone prepares to take a throw-in.

One former SFL 'ground' which still survives is Whitestone Park in Peebles.

Was (is) a public park, which I'm surprised was acceptable for SFL even in the 1920s.

3239199_df90b4ab.jpg

17999_image_photo.jpg

WhitestonePark%20(Peebles%20Rovers).JPG

More work has recently been done on the stand, with 2 dugouts built-in (either side of the central steps) and a 'Peebles Rovers FC' sign on the roof.

One former SFL 'ground' which still survives is Whitestone Park in Peebles.

Was (is) a public park, which I'm surprised was acceptable for SFL even in the 1920s.

Underlines the astonishing overreach of the old Third Division. Increasing from 40 League sides to 56? They ended up with teams in places like Shotts, Sanquhar, and Clackmannan. Most of them were barely more than public park sides, and never stood a chance when they had to travel long distance (Montrose and Lockerbie probably the most extreme) and meet matchday guarantees of £15 (the equivalent of 300 paying adults before meeting other expenses like wages and maintenance).

Some have survived though, namely East Stirling, Queen of the South, Montrose, and Brechin City (who finished last in the first season of the Third Division but somehow survived, despite an attempt at one point to bring another Brechin team into the League - can you imagine Brechin having more League sides than Aberdeen?)

Last night of the shed at Firhill in season 93/94.

attachicon.giffirhillshed1.jpeg

attachicon.giffirhillshed.jpeg

Some Jags fans didn't want to leave.

attachicon.giffirhillshed2.jpeg

attachicon.giffirhillshed3.jpeg

They did eventually. Look out for the phantom fox in this last photo of the shed ;)

attachicon.giffirhillshed4.jpeg

Saw many a cracking game under that shed when I would sometimes go with a Thistle supporting mate!

Rod, do you know when the last pic was from? Is the No. 4 Tam Forsyth?

Nope sorry, it was a google images effort.

fjno2e.jpg

Brilliant picture. I can just about remember that part before they tore it down for the offices that are no there. It should have been preserved! I can also remember buying tickets from a window next to the main entrance in the Main Stand. Don't know why it wasn't pay at the gate? There were old shirts and pendants in there too. Anyone?

Nope sorry, it was a google images effort.

Brilliant picture. I can just about remember that part before they tore it down for the offices that are no there. It should have been preserved! I can also remember buying tickets from a window next to the main entrance in the Main Stand. Don't know why it wasn't pay at the gate? There were old shirts and pendants in there too. Anyone?

I can remember the house right next to the main stand (think it may have been the one that stopped the full main stand extension) selling stuff like old programmes, so the club must have owned it at some point. Also there was a portacabin outside the main stand which sold a very limited amount of merchandise. In fact I don't even think they sold the kit. My first motherwell shirt was purchased from the sports shop in the town centre.

Then the shop was moved under the stand, just at the entrance to the enclosure underneath the main stand. Also sold tickets.

Your right about preserving the old turnstyle entrances . Shame no one at the club had the fore site to keep them and even move it elsewhere at the ground.

Taken from David Ross's excellent book "The Road of the Crowd", and presumably quoting some official publication - these are the capacities of Scottish football grounds at the outbreak of the Second World War.

How some of those grounds were ever passed for these sorts of crowds is incredible.

Any St Mirren fans who attended Spartans v St Mirren a few years ago will no doubt gulp in astonishment at the figure for Edinburgh City's wee City Park.

First Division

Pittodrie, Aberdeen......... 42,000

Cliftonhill, Coatbridge..... 28,000

Recreation Park, Alloa...... 20,000

Gayfield, Arbroath.......... 15,000

Somerset Park, Ayr.......... 28,000

Celtic Park, Glasgow........ 95,000

Shawfield, Glasgow.......... 55,000

Central Park, Cowdenbeath... 35,000

Brockville, Falkirk......... 35,000

Douglas Park, Hamilton...... 30,000

Tynecastle, Edinburgh....... 60,000

Easter Road, Edinburgh...... 35,000

Rugby Park, Kilmarnock...... 35,000

Fir Park, Motherwell........ 38,000

Firhill, Glasgow............ 70,000

Palmerston Park, Dumfries... 12,000

Ibrox Park, Glasgow........ 100,000

Muirton Park, Perth......... 30,000

Love Street, Paisley........ 50,000

Cathkin Park, Glasgow....... 45,000

Second Division

Broomfield Park, Airdrie.... 28,000

Glebe Park, Brechin.......... 5,000

Boghead, Dumbarton.......... 15,000

Dens Park, Dundee........... 40,000

Tannadice Park, Dundee...... 25,000

East End Park, Dunfermline.. 20,000

Bayview, Methil............. 20,000

Firs Park, Falkirk.......... 12,000

City Park, Edinburgh........ 30,000

Station Park, Forfar........ 10,000

Old Forthbank, Stirling..... 10,000

Old Meadowbank, Edinburgh... 22,000

Links Park, Montrose........ 10,000

Cappielow, Greenock......... 25,000

Hampden Park, Glasgow...... 183,388

Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy..... 35,000

Royal Gymnasium, Edinburgh.. 40,000

Ochilview, Larbert........... 8,000

If you want to get an idea of what it was like on a full terrace. When you're sitting in your seat complaining of no legroom imagine two other people sharing the space and the same at every seat round you.

There is a small display to St Bernard's in Clerk's Bar, Dundas Street. (fine ales can also be purchased). The gates to the bridge could still be seen (and probably still can- haven't been down that way for a while) a few years ago.

attachicon.gifcity cup.jpg

the City Cup- as seen at Gretna 2008 this season..

My Grandad worked in Stockbridge and used to tell me about when St Bernard's played in the area. He was a Hibby but he sometimes watched St Bernard's.

Recreation Park in 1928

post-175-0-73524000-1390558224_thumb.jpg

Leith athletic seemed to be ground whores hibeejibee mentioned about 4 different ones

Speaking of fans on the roof I mind hearing a story of a fan on the roof in the late 90's verses Dunfermline away I think. My memory is sketchy tho any 'Well fans remember?

Great thread btw

Leith athletic seemed to be ground whores hibeejibee mentioned about 4 different ones

Speaking of fans on the roof I mind hearing a story of a fan on the roof in the late 90's verses Dunfermline away I think. My memory is sketchy tho any 'Well fans remember?

Great thread btw

There was a game circa 2004 between Pars and Motherwell at EEP ('Well won 3-0) and a fan somehow clambered up on to the North Stand (the wee one along the touchline) roof. The highlight of the afternoon for the home fans in attendance!

Speaking of Leith Athletic, when I lived in Leith I was just on Leith Links and there was a wee pavilion of Leith Athletic's there, though I'm unsure if it is ever used - perhaps HibeeJibee has information about it?

Underlines the astonishing overreach of the old Third Division. Increasing from 40 League sides to 56? They ended up with teams in places like Shotts, Sanquhar, and Clackmannan... Some have survived though, namely East Stirling, Queen of the South, Montrose, and Brechin City (who finished last in the first season of the Third Division but somehow survived, despite an attempt at one point to bring another Brechin team into the League - can you imagine Brechin having more League sides than Aberdeen?)

Aye. When formed with 16 clubs it included Queen of the South (Dumfries), Nithsdale (Sanquhar), Mid Annandale (Lockerbie) and Solway Star (Annan) plus Peebles from the Borders, Montrose and Brechin, Galston from Ayrshire, Dumbarton Harp - so thus a second club from Dumbarton in the leagues - and various central belt clubs.

There was an application from Arbroath Athletic... but 2 clubs in Arbroath was a step too far!!

Leith Athletic replaced Dumbarton Harp, who'd resigned, in the second season. Division then fell apart in the third season.

Speaking of Leith Athletic, when I lived in Leith I was just on Leith Links and there was a wee pavilion of Leith Athletic's there, though I'm unsure if it is ever used - perhaps HibeeJibee has information about it?

Leith Athletic's youth wing is based on Leith Links.

They've nothing to do with the original Leith, they were formed in the 1980s.

Leith Athletic of today - they play off Meadowbank 3G which (interestingly enough) is on the site of Old Meadowbank, the rest being under the velodrome - were formed by Leith Athletic youth clubs taking over Edinburgh Athletic in 2008.

Edinburgh Athletic played at Muirhouse, beside Civil Service Strollers.

Edinburgh Athletic were previously Manor Thistle, who played at what's now Jewel & Esk College out toward Dalkeith.

Manor Thistle had origins in a Marchmont solicitors team.

It was much, much worse than that. None of the clubs could ever settle in one place.

Edinburgh City played at:

Marine Gardens (Portobello) 1928 - 1931

New Powderhall (Broughton) 1931 - 1934

back to Marine Gardens 1934 - 1935

City Park (Pilton) 1935 on

Leith / Leith Athletic played at:

Hawkhill (beside Easter Road) 1887 - 1890

Bank Park (?) 1890 - 1894

back to Hawkhill 1894 - 1895

Beechwood Park (?) 1895 - 1899

again back to Hawkhill 1899 - 1900

Chancelot Park (Warriston) 1900 - 1904

Old Logie Green (Broughton) 1904 - 1916

back to Chancelot Park 1919 - 1923

Wardie Park (Newhaven) 1923 - 1924

New Logie Green (Broughton) 1924 - 1926

New Powderhall (Broughton) 1926 - 1928

Marine Gardens (Portobello) 1928 - 1936

Old Meadowbank (Lochend) 1936 - 1947, redeveloped post-war

New Meadowbank (Lochend) 1947 on

St Bernard's played at

Stockbridge Public Park (Stockbridge) 1878 - 1880

Royal Gymnasium (Stockbridge) 1880 - 1889

Old Powderhall (Broughton) 1889

New Powderhall (Broughton) 1889

New Logie Green (Broughton) 1889 - 1901

back to New Powderhall 1901 - 1902

back to Royal Gymnasium 1902 - 1917

Old Logie Green (Broughton) 1919 - 1924

Tynecastle (Gorgie) 1924 ... during autumn Hearts, Hibs and St Bernard's all shared Tynecastle with Hibs playing Friday teatime

back to redeveloped Royal Gymnasium 1924 on

Post-war plans for a Leith St Bernard's FC would have played out of Woods Park, which I think was out towards Portobello.

Edited by HibeeJibee

There was a game circa 2004 between Pars and Motherwell at EEP ('Well won 3-0) and a fan somehow clambered up on to the North Stand (the wee one along the touchline) roof. The highlight of the afternoon for the home fans in attendance!

I think that there is a current amaetur team called Leith Athletic, playing at the higher end of the Edinburgh amateur leagues.

Hard to imagine now that East End would be used for a Scottish Cup semi final. I imagine it must've been close to a capacity crowd?

Official figure was 16,560 for the semi-final. Was my first one and still had the ticket stub up until a few years ago but I've somehow managed to lose it.

I saw a few weeks ago the United subscription TV service advertising highlights of it. Would love to see them and was hoping they might find their way onto YouTube.

It's almost painful looking at some of these old photos as so many great memories of brilliant grounds. The reasons for redevelopment were well intentioned but we've lost so much from the game. It can't be the same for kids starting out on their football travels these days. You felt so much more part of the action I felt than you do now.

that's the reformed Leith Athletic Football team- they started off as amateurs and had youth teams playing at Leith Links. The club were accepted into the East of Scotland League after a merger with the existing Edinburgh Athletic and played at Civil Service's ground at Muirhouse for a number of seasons before conning persuading Edinburgh Council to let them use the new astroturf pitch at Meadowbank and thus 1) going back to Leith Ath's old home and 2) becoming our lovely little neighbours, bless 'em.