Your Old Stadium

I remember as a young teen being at East End Park , on the terracing at the segregation fence and the netting above was empty before the match , by half time it had darts , golf balls and all sorts in it .

Loved going to East End Park - great atmosphere. Seem to remember the uncovered terracing behind the goal being ultra steep.

Ibrox - at the back - and the 2 stadiums which used to stand beside it. Don't know much about Glasgow, so no idea what the other 2 got used for. Anyone elaborate? One is now the (extortionately over-priced) Rangers matchday car park.

5ot9hv.jpg

The two stadiums (not Ibrox (yet)) are gone.......the near stadium is where the M*8 now runs and the other is where there was a high rise until recently.

Check it out on google satellite maps.....you'll see the gas holder is still there.

This photo is apparently from 2 January 1956, when Hibs & Hearts drew 2-2.

It was the last time Easter Road accommodated over 60,000, with 60,812 in attendance.

Remarkably, the highest attendance was before the east terracing was expanded, with 65,840 attending on the 2 January 1950.

Compare that with Hibs' finally selling out the newly completed stadium, with 20,106 in attendance on 2 January 2014.

2198871889_65288d9d9b_zpsc4eefb86.jpg

Easier to fill a stadium at a time when both Hibs and Hearts had great teams. I'd love to go see a game then, even if it meant being half-suffocated and getting my leg pissed on....

Mags, out of interest have you any/can you link to old pics of Firhill? My grandfather talked about going 'tae the dugs' at Firhill but that was aeons ago.

No pics Kincardine but some news clippings regarding the dugs at Firhill. http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/Greyhounds

Fans on the roof of the stand - holy shit, can you imagine that these days with H&S, no smoking, no drinking, no standing, no enjoying yourselves rules, overseen by yellow jacketed stewards and plod in a control box with CCTV at their fingertips? Well, I say overseen, unless it's Celtic visiting in which case they can do what the fcuk they want. I digress though - in all seriousness, imagine that these days.

Say you're a, oh, let's say a St Mirren fan, sitting in our West Bank, looking directly across to the main stand and player's tunnel. Suddenly you spot a bloke on the main stand roof - you'd be pointing and saying to your mates 'Fcuk sake, there's a bloke on the roof!' - the game would be stopped, players taken off. Plod would have a helicopter overhead in jig time and the fire and rescue service would send a high reach appliance.

In the photo above there's hunners' of folk up there - probably having a puff and pulling a half-bottle out of their hip pocket.

My, how times have changed.

To be fair, some of them were probably there to see Motherwell....

Fans on the roof of the stand - holy shit, can you imagine that these days with H&S, no smoking, no drinking, no standing, no enjoying yourselves rules, overseen by yellow jacketed stewards and plod in a control box with CCTV at their fingertips? Well, I say overseen, unless it's Celtic visiting in which case they can do what the fcuk they want. I digress though - in all seriousness, imagine that these days.

Say you're a, oh, let's say a St Mirren fan, sitting in our West Bank, looking directly across to the main stand and player's tunnel. Suddenly you spot a bloke on the main stand roof - you'd be pointing and saying to your mates 'Fcuk sake, there's a bloke on the roof!' - the game would be stopped, players taken off. Plod would have a helicopter overhead in jig time and the fire and rescue service would send a high reach appliance.

In the photo above there's hunners' of folk up there - probably having a puff and pulling a half-bottle out of their hip pocket.

My, how times have changed.

Check out the guy nonchalantly stood on the roof! :blink:

EEP with terracing was magnificent. As a wee boy, I used to stand at the front of the terracing near to the cage at the halfway line. Even with a crowd of 4-5000, the place could look full and produce a superb atmosphere. I still dearly love the old place but, back then it was magnificent. With the slight curves behind each goal, I used to compare it to Wembley when I was 7 :lol:

I liked the old East End Park as well. The open terrace for away fans was a joy in the sunshine and United usually took a decent support there.

The best atmosphere would've been the Scottish Cup semi against St Johnstone. United had the home end that day and the place went wild when Big Dunc slammed in the winner. Arguably his finest moment in a tangerine jersey.

I liked the old East End Park as well. The open terrace for away fans was a joy in the sunshine and United usually took a decent support there.

The best atmosphere would've been the Scottish Cup semi against St Johnstone. United had the home end that day and the place went wild when Big Dunc slammed in the winner. Arguably his finest moment in a tangerine jersey.

Hard to imagine now that East End would be used for a Scottish Cup semi final. I imagine it must've been close to a capacity crowd?

I remember particularly the games with United in the First Division of 95/96 - big crowds at both with excellent followings from Tannadice. Though whenever United (and Dundee for that matter) have visited EEP they've always brought a good support with them.

I don't care if it's misty eyed nostalgia, the football just seemed much, much more fun with the older style grounds. I must confess going to places like Arbroath and Brechin this year, which I doubt have changed In many years, has been a big reason as to why I'm enjoying watching the Pars as much as I am presently.

I loved ICT and Ross County's grounds (I still enjoy the chance to go to both) but they just don't seem anywhere near as good now they've had to put seats in.

Taken from David Ross's excellent book "The Road of the Crowd", and presumably quoting some official publication - these are the capacities of Scottish football grounds at the outbreak of the Second World War.

How some of those grounds were ever passed for these sorts of crowds is incredible.

Any St Mirren fans who attended Spartans v St Mirren a few years ago will no doubt gulp in astonishment at the figure for Edinburgh City's wee City Park.

First Division

Pittodrie, Aberdeen......... 42,000

Cliftonhill, Coatbridge..... 28,000

Recreation Park, Alloa...... 20,000

Gayfield, Arbroath.......... 15,000

Somerset Park, Ayr.......... 28,000

Celtic Park, Glasgow........ 95,000

Shawfield, Glasgow.......... 55,000

Central Park, Cowdenbeath... 35,000

Brockville, Falkirk......... 35,000

Douglas Park, Hamilton...... 30,000

Tynecastle, Edinburgh....... 60,000

Easter Road, Edinburgh...... 35,000

Rugby Park, Kilmarnock...... 35,000

Fir Park, Motherwell........ 38,000

Firhill, Glasgow............ 70,000

Palmerston Park, Dumfries... 12,000

Ibrox Park, Glasgow........ 100,000

Muirton Park, Perth......... 30,000

Love Street, Paisley........ 50,000

Cathkin Park, Glasgow....... 45,000

Second Division

Broomfield Park, Airdrie.... 28,000

Glebe Park, Brechin.......... 5,000

Boghead, Dumbarton.......... 15,000

Dens Park, Dundee........... 40,000

Tannadice Park, Dundee...... 25,000

East End Park, Dunfermline.. 20,000

Bayview, Methil............. 20,000

Firs Park, Falkirk.......... 12,000

City Park, Edinburgh........ 30,000

Station Park, Forfar........ 10,000

Old Forthbank, Stirling..... 10,000

Old Meadowbank, Edinburgh... 22,000

Links Park, Montrose........ 10,000

Cappielow, Greenock......... 25,000

Hampden Park, Glasgow...... 183,388

Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy..... 35,000

Royal Gymnasium, Edinburgh.. 40,000

Ochilview, Larbert........... 8,000

Never a Scottish League ground, but an interesting story from Edinburgh.

In Victorian times there was a gasworks between the Royal Mile and Calton Hill. It closed and on the site a football ground was built - notably used by Edinburgh Emmet Juniors. Big crowds were attracted, courtesy its city centre location. In 1926 it was compulsory purchased and turned into the corporation bus garage, latterly the Waverley underground carpark.

A few years ago this was demolished, and after much legal wrangling is to be used for the 'Caltongate' development. Today the site is bordered by: the Royal Mile (S); Council HQ beside Waverley station (W); East Coast Mainline (N); and Canongate kirkyard (E).

'Tight' fans used to watch for free from the curve of Regent Terrace on Calton Hill.

In those less PC times, it was known as the "Jews Gallery".

Edinburgh Emmet were successful Juniors averaging 2000 in the years before they lost Bathgate Park (named after a bailie - councillor - who helped them obtain the gasworks site).

post-12982-0-02843800-1390522680.jpg

a Victorian print - the Gasworks site was where that hooer of a chimney is... after the New Street bus garage was demolished excavation work revealed parts of the old gas works and archaeologists did a dig there. Funny to think that tow Edinburgh football pitches made way for bus garages- Marine Gardens and Bathgate Park.

Having left Bathgate Park the Edinburgh Junior FA made its home at Meadowbank on the site of the current pitch and grandstand. The tradition of crude amateur football on the site is continued to this day by the famous Edinburgh City FC...

post-12982-0-24883600-1390522998_thumb.j

I spotted this old "welcome to Dens Park" at the back of a dugout at Dundee Violet a few years ago

post-12982-0-08922000-1390523082_thumb.j

post-12982-0-59504800-1390523134_thumb.j

Seats from the old Love Street being reused at Threave Rovers. Is that your old seat in the pile?! Love Street seats have also been recycled at Meadowbank Stadium.

Structures from Hamilton Accie's Douglas Park were also re-erected at Glenafton and Auchinleck Talbot.

Royal Gymnasium ?????

It was originally a Victorian version of Alton Towers, located in Stockbridge, an affluent area of Georgian and Victorian houses north of the New Town. When did you last ride a Giant Sea Serpent? Take a swing on 'Chang', the giant seasaw? Or escape the Prince Alfred Wreck?

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/lost-edinburgh-the-royal-patent-gymnasium-1-2937055

http://gillonj.tripod.com/

0_edinburgh_1867_entertainment_gymnasium

0_edinburgh_1867_entertainment_gymnasium

canonmills-photo.jpg

Later the ground was cleared and a football stadium built for St Bernard's. They rotated the pitch 90 degrees after WWI by shifting the earth banking.

Site was sunk below street level. Latterly the grandstand was accessed by a small bridge.

http://kgvsy.wordpress.com/history/

st-bernards-post-ww11.jpg

st-bernards-pre-ww12.jpg

st-bernards-pitch-post-ww1-sketch-george

After St Bernard's folded during WWII the grandstand was sold to Leith Athletic and re-erected at Old Meadowbank.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/final-curtain-st-bernards-fc-play-their-last-match-edinburgh-16-may-1942-1-1135514

Royal Gymnasium was turned into a public park, although part of it became industrial ground of some kind and is now an RBS car park (IIRC).

Fact for the day: during the Second World War the East of Scotland Cup, colloquially known as the City Cup, was stolen in a burglary at St Bernard's ground. In 1947, when workmen were clearing the terracing, it was found buried in the embankment.

It is still in competition today, and currently held by Gretna 2008, who defeated Berwick Rangers in last season's Final.

Edited by HibeeJibee