Your Old Stadium

The Tannadice and Hampden pictures are superb.

I miss the old "giraffe" floodlights at Tannadice. The shorter ones at Dens are still there, but the instantly recognisable outline as you cross the bridge from Fife will disappear forever if they come down. It's not so much an issue with satnav, etc now. But looking for the floodlight pylons used to be great way of finding the stadium if you hadn't been before!

I miss the old "giraffe" floodlights at Tannadice. The shorter ones at Dens are still there, but the instantly recognisable outline as you cross the bridge from Fife will disappear forever if they come down. It's not so much an issue with satnav, etc now. But looking for the floodlight pylons used to be great way of finding the stadium if you hadn't been before!

Whether the story's true or apocryphal, over the years this supposedly led some fans headed for Easter Road across to Meadowbank...

EDIT: And if I'd actually read the next post instead of hammerring on with a reply, evidently it's still happening today.

Edited by HibeeJibee

A mate and I did that for County's Scottish Cup trip to Easter Road. Ended up at Meadowbank Stadium.

We ended up at a railway shunting yard down south somewhere!

The lights were spaced just as you would expect a football pitch.

A mate and I did that for County's Scottish Cup trip to Easter Road. Ended up at Meadowbank Stadium.

It was the White City stadium. The other one was The Albion dog track. St Anthony's junior ground is also in the photo to the left of the gasometer. Tinto Park (Benburb) was close by but not in this photo I'm sure. Prob out of shot to the left.

Cheers for that I remember someone telling me about the White City being near Ibrox and being part of the M8. Can't remember ever seeing St Anthony's ground but knew it was close to Ibrox so thanks for clearing that up. Never knew about the dog track!

I was at a game at Benburb years ago classic old ground.

I would like to state on the record that this is a magnificent thread.

41056730745.jpg

Main Stand being enlarged after the sale of Ian St John and Pat Quinn. The framework shown is the same nowadays and the floating box at the front of the frame is where the TV cameras and commentators go.

3746991678_749142a405.jpg

The Knowetop end, that is now the Davie Cooper stand. I can just about remember being able to look over it (from the Main Stand) and see the Ravenscraig works before the new stand was built.

Fir%20Park%209.jpg

Apparently the Davie Cooper stand was a scaled down version of the away stand and the architect allegedly forgot to make the front overhang thing smaller and is the same size as the one on the away stand :lol:

2l8i4au.jpg

East stand with optional roof seating. All there to see the Pride of Lanarkshire.

Rod, do you know when the last pic was from? Is the No. 4 Tam Forsyth?

Edited to add: Great thread, especially for wee auld yins, and thanks to QLP for starting it.

Edited by The_Kincardine

sounds like the Millerhill marshalling yard. Ironically enough Hearts had a scheme to move to Millerhill in the 1990s.

I miss old floodlight pylons- Hibs had a system called "Drenchlighting" and the style where the lights were angled towards the pitch seemed to have been, according to Simon Inglis' seminal book "The Football Grounds of Great Britain", a particularly Scottish feature. Two English grounds were notable for having Scottish style floodlights- Ashton Gate and the Goldstone Ground.

I think having lights on top of stands is a bit crap tbh- at Starks they have done a sort of compromise, building a new stand and keeping sort of half pylons on it but it looks a bit weird.

post-12982-0-71047800-1390498002.jpg

angled lights at Palmerston.