Your Old Stadium

This article was published back in February, but for anyone who hasn't seen it; some cracking photos of Dens going as far back as 1950s.

image.jpg

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/picture-gallery-dundee-fc-s-dens-park-through-the-years-1.843079#poll

Posted this in the Dundee thread but for anyone who'd be interested and wouldn't check that thread:

image.jpg

image.jpg

and my fave

image.jpg

Quality thread.

Would give anything to get to a match in our old stadium.

Seen a good few games at Broomfield. I liked it.

It and Cathkin both had a wee hoose in the corner. Very quaint!

That's a cracking photo.

No offence to East Fife but your present ground is an abortion!

Don't think that you will find many (if any) East Fife fans who would disagree with you!!!

The Nou Bayview is a very neat and tidy ground indeed, which has better facilities both for the fans and for the playing staff, it can also boast of having one of the best playing surfaces in the country, which it certainly does and which is a claim that could never be made for dear old Bayview Park, but what is abundantly clear is that it has no community heart and that no affection has ever been held for it since it's construction and probably more importantly, is that despite the numerous attempts that have been made, it has no soul, that obviously stayed behind when the bulldozers moved in at Wellesley Road!!!

What a loss for east fife, original Bayview looks a perfect neat and compact ground. If you'd just stuck your new stand in at the old ground it would have still been one of the best grounds outside the premier league today. (And probably better than most in the premier for many of us!).

They really did tear the heart out of so many clubs in the late 90's- early 2000's in Scotland with the ground changes and 'improvements'.

Perhaps the perfect example of the "Them & Us" attitude that has always pervaded the atmosphere at Bayview (both Old and Nou) with regard to the Directors and the Fans, in my time supporting them!!!

In 1971 the Board decided to treat themselves to some nicy comfy, warm facilities by constructing the First (and only) self-contained "Director's Box" in Scottish Football!!!

directorsbox1.jpg

directorsbox3.jpg

directorsbox5.jpg

But it took them until 1980-81 to get the Terracing into a safe state for fans,it wasn't always the glorious, sweeping concrete steps you see in the photos above, while the Directors were passing out the brandies and cigars in their "Box", the fans were still risking life and limb on substandard terracing like this...

bayviewcrumble.jpg

Didn't the Steedmans have the same sort of Directors box at Kilbowie? Jim McLean had his own personal box at Tannadice too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't the Steedmans have the same sort of Directors box at Kilbowie? Jim McLean had his own personal box at Tannadice too.

Think it was a social club behind one of the goals at Kilbowie and Cove Rangers also did the glassed in directors box thing in the Highland League. Can remember the decayed wooden terracing at Bayview being in a terrible state back in the early 80s to the point of being genuinely unsafe to walk over. May have helped explain why there were more Hamilton Accies supporters on it than East Fife ones, which was never a good sign given the visiting Accies support in those days was typically using one bus and a minivan at the time.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone enlighten me as to why Cove are plying at other grounds this season?

Their ground doesn't meet licensing. Pitch is too narrow I believe. Quite how jumping from ground to ground does meet licensing I've no idea

Think it was a social club behind one of the goals at Kilbowie and Cove Rangers also did the glassed in directors box thing in the Highland League. Can remember the decayed wooden terracing at Bayview being in a terrible state back in the early 80s to the point of being genuinely unsafe to walk over. May have helped explain why there were more Hamilton Accies supporters on it than East Fife ones, which was never a good sign given the visiting Accies support in those days was typically using one bus and a minivan at the time.

Ah, the glory years...

Their ground doesn't meet licensing. Pitch is too narrow I believe. Quite how jumping from ground to ground does meet licensing I've no idea

Check out who the new president of the SFA used to play for and you'll understand why an unusually lenient degree of discretion may be applied in their case on issues like this.

Maybe a bit deeper than that in terms of favouritism, because if another club had been involved they potentially could have been booted out of the Highland League completely over this issue, because there is no abeyance type system like in the juniors. They will eventually have a new ground on the outskirts of Aberdeen (in an out of the way Distillery type location a long way from being close to anywhere) that should fit licensing by all accounts, but it will be interesting to see how quickly that actually happens.