Your Old Stadium

I think that there is a current amaetur team called Leith Athletic, playing at the higher end of the Edinburgh amateur leagues.

Ah, that may explain it then. I have seen the occasional games of football on the Links but wasn't sure if an amateur team or whatever played there as well.

There was a game circa 2004 between Pars and Motherwell at EEP ('Well won 3-0) and a fan somehow clambered up on to the North Stand (the wee one along the touchline) roof. The highlight of the afternoon for the home fans in attendance!

it?

Cheers that will be the one mate. I wasn't there but I remember lots of posters on steelmen online talking about it at the time. I'm sure there was pictures as well

Post-war plans for a Leith St Bernard's FC would have played out of Woods Park, which I think was out towards Portobello.

Sir Alick of Milne told me that Woods Park was where Sir Harry Lauder Road is now and was used by Junior club Portobello Thistle.

Anybody got any memorobilia of old grounds? I have a shower tap rescued from the ruins of Victoria Park, Newtongrange after the stand was demolished. It was probably touched by greats such as Willie Bauld and Dave McKay in its time. I also have a sink tap from Dunbar's Countess Park and a wee souvenir of the East Terrace at Easter Road.

Cheers that will be the one mate. I wasn't there but I remember lots of posters on steelmen online talking about it at the time. I'm sure there was pictures as well

I was there and it was funny - especially once he dropped his breeks :) As he climbed down the drainpipe afterwards, there were 4 of Fife's finest standing there waiting for him :)

that's the reformed Leith Athletic Football team- they started off as amateurs and had youth teams playing at Leith Links. The club were accepted into the East of Scotland League after a merger with the existing Edinburgh Athletic and played at Civil Service's ground at Muirhouse for a number of seasons before conning persuading Edinburgh Council to let them use the new astroturf pitch at Meadowbank and thus 1) going back to Leith Ath's old home and 2) becoming our lovely little neighbours, bless 'em.

Excellent information that, ta!

You have to wonder how the likes of leith athletic and St Bernard's could afford to move about so much. Cheers for the info btw HJ it's brilliant hearing about these old clubs

They seldom owned their grounds... although I think St Bernard's did latterly as they'd the club, a seperate stadium company and a seperate grandstand company (Charles Green would approve).

Most were rented from the local authority, or from entrepreneurs who also ran whippet racing or pedestrianism.... Royal Gymnasium's origins were mentioned last night; Marine Gardens opened in 1909 with buildings resited from the 1908 'Scottish Exhibition' at Saughton; etc.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/lost-edinburgh-the-marine-gardens-1-3082648

2469693018.jpg

MarineGardens3.jpg

MarineGardens4.jpg

marine_gardens.jpg

3473067417.jpg

Murrayfield is Scotland's only other great stadium, and it has hosted some football in recent years. Here are some shots of its evolution. Couldn't find any aerial shot of the late 1980s with the old Main Stand and the new East Stand opposite but the ends still open.

rugby-union-five-nations-championship-sc

hqdefault.jpg

Murrayfield%20-%20Fullflow.jpg

357578.jpg

0_buildings_-_murrayfield_stadium_1zm12.

Luckily I was usually in the corner and there were urinals of reasonable quality in the open air behind the corner.

I remember as a school kid going to use that lavy during a derby.There was a chap getting his Gary Locke sucked by his lady friend.I was told to Fu*k aff yah wee Cu*t.

Are there any pictures of the 1952 SC Final where we played Motherwell with a Non-OF related record attendance?

Footage a bit grainy. Kilmarnock lifts the cup fir Motherwell in front of 136,000 spectators.

Sir Alick of Milne told me that Woods Park was where Sir Harry Lauder Road is now and was used by Junior club Portobello Thistle.

Anybody got any memorobilia of old grounds? I have a shower tap rescued from the ruins of Victoria Park, Newtongrange after the stand was demolished. It was probably touched by greats such as Willie Bauld and Dave McKay in its time. I also have a sink tap from Dunbar's Countess Park and a wee souvenir of the East Terrace at Easter Road.

I've got a chunk of the old Firhill shed terracing sitting somewhere in my mum and dad's attic. Who knows who could have spat, pished, or spilt bovril on it?

Match day programme

post-1545-0-15970800-1390573068.jpeg

Some Dees getting behind their favourites in the club's first FA Cup Final. Actually theyvcould have been at the Easter Road semi against Third Lanark :P butbyou get the idea.

post-1545-0-89622500-1390573100_thumb.jp

Motherwell ran out 4-0 winners after a goal-less first half. Dundee also had a goal ruled out. So Motherwell had the open-top bus parade and commerative team pics. However only ten years later Dundee would go on to win the league.

post-1545-0-97270600-1390573127_thumb.jppost-1545-0-96018200-1390573086.jpeg

Loving this thread.

In an era where I've grown up with the logo brick stadiums, it's nice to see grounds in their former guise.

Easter Road always amazes me with how it used to be.

With regards to Easter Road, can anyone tell me the reason that one stand has always had a corner cut off? I'm guessing when it was rebuilt the top corner was shaped as a tribute to the old terrace, but why did the terrace have that shape?

With regards to Easter Road, can anyone tell me the reason that one stand has always had a corner cut off? I'm guessing when it was rebuilt the top corner was shaped as a tribute to the old terrace, but why did the terrace have that shape?

Do you mean why both the end stands have a slight 'chink' out of the top tier on the lefthand side?

(S)

easterroad3.jpg

(N)

easter-road4349l.jpg

AFAIA, it's just since the streets behind both stands come too close to have them full height all the way over? Same reason the terraces had to 'dip'.

(S)

Easter_Road_old.jpg

(N)

EASTER%20ROAD%20STADIUM.jpg?imgmax=512

We ended up at a railway shunting yard down south somewhere!

The lights were spaced just as you would expect a football pitch.

We ended up at a railway shunting yard down south somewhere!

The lights were spaced just as you would expect a football pitch.

Can't believe you made the same mistake twice tbh