Your Old Stadium

The only help I could give to dating the top photo is that is the law monument was unveiled in 1925,to no little controversy, so after that and obviously before the shed in the 50s. I think,but I could swear to it, that the arklay street allotments were from the 40s.

When I was a kid going to these grounds I was in awe of them, even if it was a shit hole. Of course as a wean I never saw them as shit holes.

Mags, out of interest have you any/can you link to old pics of Firhill? My grandfather talked about going 'tae the dugs' at Firhill but that was aeons ago.

I miss old floodlight pylons- Hibs had a system called "Drenchlighting" and the style where the lights were angled towards the pitch seemed to have been, according to Simon Inglis' seminal book "The Football Grounds of Great Britain", a particularly Scottish feature. Two English grounds were notable for having Scottish style floodlights- Ashton Gate and the Goldstone Ground..

Yep.

Basically "floodlighting" (as was) had vertical gantries with bulbs tilted down towards the pitch.

94873199_55d6543af7_z.jpg

"Drenchlighting" tipped the whole gantry down towards the pitch.

1314270926_large.jpg

It was a Scottish firm which pioneered "drenchlighting".

I can't remember their name - Alexanders? - but it's covered in some detail in:

4.jpeg

Cheers for that I remember someone telling me about the White City being near Ibrox and being part of the M8. Can't remember ever seeing St Anthony's ground but knew it was close to Ibrox so thanks for clearing that up. Never knew about the dog track!

I was at a game at Benburb years ago classic old ground.

Slightly off track but I believe this is Benburbs last season at the old ground before moving to a new one.

Mags, out of interest have you any/can you link to old pics of Firhill? My grandfather talked about going 'tae the dugs' at Firhill but that was aeons ago.

I don't, BUT if you look at posts 45.47 and 50 of this thread from Jagfox and Reid respectively there are plenty good ones there.

tynie1991-2.jpg

Away fans were usually on the other terrace at the other end but I remember us being put on that terrace for some reason one time. It was the infamous 'Hand of Robbo' match. I seem to remember it was very foggy that night.

Tynecastle had probably the worst toilets I've ever know. No toilets would have been better. In fact you couldn't really describe them as toilets, 'underground pish dungeon' would be closer to the true.

tynie1991-2.jpg

Away fans were usually on the other terrace at the other end but I remember us being put on that terrace for some reason one time. It was the infamous 'Hand of Robbo' match. I seem to remember it was very foggy that night.

Boghead's were none existent. Lol

Tynecastle had probably the worst toilets I've ever know. No toilets would have been better. In fact you couldn't really describe them as toilets, 'underground pish dungeon' would be closer to the true.

tynie1991-2.jpg

The toilets in the old Gorgie Road end under the terrace were awful. I usually used the ones up the back of the terrace which was little more than a wall with no drain either. The smell of of stale beer mixed with pish on that end was certainly unique!

The old bogs at Brockville under the stand at the edge of the away end were just a glorified sewage pit.

Thesedays the problem with going for a pish at halftime is not the horrid conditions of the toilets, but the fact you might die of smoke inhalation. I'd hate to be bursting for a pish if I had asthma.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Cathkin Park - then, now & model (all shot from roughly the same place).

thirds_v_stmirren_5april1959_01.jpg

cathkin20.jpg

4519556145.jpg

Makes you wish you had taken a Brownie camera with you when you were young!

Cathkin, Muirton, Anfield, Shawfield etc. all gone

I just missed out on the old EEP having attended my first games in the east(away) stand whilst the norrie mccathie and possibly part of the north stand were completed. It's incredible to think how different my experiences of my first games are from those only a couple of years older than myself.

I believe the general consensus of the Celtic game is shock that somehow only one person died. Far too many people in the one place with many willing to take big risks to see a football match.

On the whole are we better off debate, I think the answer is absolutely yes, the facilities the modern fan enjoys are far better than what existed 20 years ago, tho it would be good to have standing areas.

It's interesting to note that most clubs seemed to prefer curved terraces but nearly everyone has put in seated stands that are square/parallel to the pitch.

EEP with terracing was magnificent. As a wee boy, I used to stand at the front of the terracing near to the cage at the halfway line. Even with a crowd of 4-5000, the place could look full and produce a superb atmosphere. I still dearly love the old place but, back then it was magnificent. With the slight curves behind each goal, I used to compare it to Wembley when I was 7 :lol:

Two videos of Firs Park. The second one shows it after Shire moved out - very sad. The ground has just been left to rot away which is a real shame as on the few occasions I went to see the Shire there, it was an enjoyable place to watch fitba'.

Edited by Larbert_Par

Never a Scottish League ground, but an interesting story from Edinburgh.

In Victorian times there was a gasworks between the Royal Mile and Calton Hill. It closed and on the site a football ground was built - notably used by Edinburgh Emmet Juniors. Big crowds were attracted, courtesy its city centre location. In 1926 it was compulsory purchased and turned into the corporation bus garage, latterly the Waverley underground carpark.

A few years ago this was demolished, and after much legal wrangling is to be used for the 'Caltongate' development. Today the site is bordered by: the Royal Mile (S); Council HQ beside Waverley station (W); East Coast Mainline (N); and Canongate kirkyard (E).

hole+in+the+canongate.jpg

'Tight' fans used to watch for free from the curve of Regent Terrace on Calton Hill.

In those less PC times, it was known as the "Jews Gallery".

caltongate_site_aw240209_2.jpg

489_article_wide.jpg

0_around_edinburgh_-_caltongate_new_stre

Incidentally the Motherwell? team bus which got jammed under a railbridge recently did so at the foot of New Street, between the gapsite and the council HQ building.

Edinburgh Emmet were successful Juniors averaging 2000 in the years before they lost Bathgate Park (named after a bailie - councillor - who helped them obtain the gasworks site).

Edited by HibeeJibee

Makes you wish you had taken a Brownie camera with you when you were young!

Cathkin, Muirton, Anfield, Shawfield etc. all gone

Isn't Shawfield still going strong although just no longer for football?

tynie1991-2.jpg

The Gorgie Road end toilets were nothing compared to the horror of the ones under the School End you can just see the entrance in the middle of the uncovered section.

Luckily I was usually in the corner and there were urinals of reasonable quality in the open air behind the corner.

Terracing meant that you could watch the game surrounded by the kind of people you wanted to. An extreme example was towards the back of the School end, near enough to the roof to shuffle in if it rained, where there was a small Gaelic speaking enclave