Your Old Stadium

Its crazy seeing the Ross County photos and actually seeing quite how "big" they've got in such a short space of time. I imagine ICT will have a similar sort of look about it

Ibrox - at the back - and the 2 stadiums which used to stand beside it. Don't know much about Glasgow, so no idea what the other 2 got used for. Anyone elaborate? One is now the (extortionately over-priced) Rangers matchday car park.

5ot9hv.jpg

Speedway possibly. My Dad goes on about watching a speedway team called the White City Tigers and it was down somewhere near Ibrox Park.

Speedway possibly. My Dad goes on about watching a speedway team called the White City Tigers and it was down somewhere near Ibrox Park.

I'm sure the stadium at the front of the picture is the White City Stadium which hosted speedway and stock car racing. I think the M8 runs through it now.

The stadium in the middle will be either Benburb or St Anthonys old ground.

Edited by cowdenbeath

post-12982-0-96074300-1390432633_thumb.j

My first away trip was to Stirling Albion's Annfield ground for Stirling Albion v Meadowbank Thistle in May 1987. It was actually the last game on grass before the Binos put in a 1G(?!) plastic pitch. I tried to nick a bit of the pitch but a polis told me to keep it for the training. Feck knows why.

I remember there was sleet the first half in the open terracing, we swapped ends with the Binos fans to the covered terracing and it came out sunshine! Thistle lost 3-1 but we promoted that day thanks to other results going their way.

I revisited the ground for Thistle's first ever reserve match a few years later and then for an utterly ridiculous New Year's Day game c.1990. It was howling a gale and the ball blew all over the pitch. Stirling got a penalty which had to be retaken twice- Thistle goalie Jim McQueen saving all 3 attempts. The game finished 0-0 not surprisingly.

Forthbank is dull by comparison...

Another case of nearby neighbours... Hampden (and Lesser Hampden) with Third Lanark's Cathkin Park to the north - which was of course itself home to Queen's Park before they moved into Hampden. Then more pictures of Hampden, as it develops over the years.

SPW019491.jpg

hampdenpast3.jpg

preview_picture2.jpg

1078527.jpg

TGSE00321_m.jpg

764212_640x360.jpg

Many more aerial grounds in this thread:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/195565-aerial-shots-of-football-grounds/page-1

I'm sure the stadium at the front of the picture is the White City Stadium which hosted speedway and stock car racing. I think the M8 runs through it now.

The stadium in the middle will be either Benburb or St Anthonys old ground.

It was the White City stadium. The other one was The Albion dog track. St Anthony's junior ground is also in the photo to the left of the gasometer. Tinto Park (Benburb) was close by but not in this photo I'm sure. Prob out of shot to the left.

What a fantastic thread this is. I remember the old uncovered bucket seated Gorgie Road end at Tynecastle - we played there on the final day of 96/97 when the demolition had begun for the new stand to be built.

dafc.jpg

dafc2.jpg

EEP_CLAD_8.JPG

EEP_CLAD_7.JPG

wallpaper22_1024x768.jpg

k3kw21.jpg

The bottom one is v Celtic in 1968; We'd won the Cup, Celtic had won the league. It was EEP's record attendance but there was estimated to be an unofficial crowd of 30,000 plus. Fans were up on the roof / floodlight pylons trying to see the game, and I'm sure a Celtic fan tragically fell and died that night.

I just missed out on the old EEP having attended my first games in the east(away) stand whilst the norrie mccathie and possibly part of the north stand were completed. It's incredible to think how different my experiences of my first games are from those only a couple of years older than myself.

I believe the general consensus of the Celtic game is shock that somehow only one person died. Far too many people in the one place with many willing to take big risks to see a football match.

On the whole are we better off debate, I think the answer is absolutely yes, the facilities the modern fan enjoys are far better than what existed 20 years ago, tho it would be good to have standing areas.

It's interesting to note that most clubs seemed to prefer curved terraces but nearly everyone has put in seated stands that are square/parallel to the pitch.

Was Cathkin Park originally called Hampden Park, when QP played there?

Yes. Sometimes called "Second Hampden" for that reason (the current being "Third Hampden" and a railway line and bowling club occupying "First Hampden").

Worse still this Cathkin Park - which survives today in ruins - is itself "New Cathkin", the "Old Cathkin" being Third's original home.

It's interesting to note that most clubs seemed to prefer curved terraces but nearly everyone has put in seated stands that are square/parallel to the pitch.

Between the wars many clubs flirted with greyhound (and even cheetah!) racing, athletics meets, and so on in order to boost income... Plus I suppose a curved terrace has greater front metreage than a straight one, so you can get more people in.

Fast-forward to the 1990s and maximising capacity is less of an issue. People want to be close to the pitch. And stands require more ground, e.g. at Dundee, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline etc. their new end stands eat-up the space.

I remember thinking how odd it was that Firhill had a curved terrace at one end, yet the other was square to the field!!

Edited by HibeeJibee

It's been said before but people loved a bunnet back then didn't they?

Some if those old stadiums look brilliant. Would be great to see safe-standing introduced as terraces look like they'd be great fun.

So much seems I have change around the stadiums as well. There's fields around Easter Road in 1 picture ffs :lol:

Here's another pic of our ground to add to the collection. Taken from the side of the old East Terrace.

post-43327-13904429353689_thumb.jpg

Few more pictures of Dens of old.

1945 against Rangers:

dens45.jpg

A corner kick being taken in 1936:

11ht5iu.jpg

Our much derided Main Stand when we attracted big crowds, looked fantastic:

120812-SOCCER-SET-THE-SCENE-SS-PI_201212

1962 the year we won the league:

dens_0.png

Frustratingly, pictures from RCAHMS seem to be blocked from upload on P&B. However, it'll open on this link:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/images/l/DP041913/

and there you see the loch and Easter Road Stadium as it was just before the East Stand was rebuilt in 2010.

Incidentally, the 3G pitch at the bottom of the picture - in Leith Academy playing fields - is on the old Hawkhill Park, one-time SFL venue of Leith Athletic. Another example of Scottish League grounds only a long goalkick apart.

Cheers, HJ.

I shall mount an expedition forthwith. Are the natives peaceable? I shall require their services as bearers and suchlike.

Here's some footage of the game at Telford Street when Caley drew with St Johnstone in 1992. I think that was the first time a top flight team had failed to beat a non-league team in the Scottish cup. 5,500 was the crowd, probably one of the biggest crowds at Telford Street

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1390469267.996944.jpg

1947 Brockville

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1390469295.562895.jpg

Near the end of the old girl

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1390469327.062994.jpg

Now what stands there.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1390469349.012628.jpg

New stadium with full 2 star FIFA rated pitch and surrounding blue outline.

I like the Falkirk stadium.....looks great although an old style covered terrace enclosure opposite the main stand would set it off nicely! ;)