Your Old Stadium

Absolutely brilliant thread. brilliant pictures so far :thumsup2

post-33481-0-54453900-1390384986.png with the old pavilion pre war

post-33481-0-33316900-1390385012.png ariel view pre redevelopment

post-33481-0-11179400-1390385033.jpg another ariel view

post-33481-0-27581800-1390385055.jpg before the main stand was redeveloped 1960's i think

post-33481-0-56049200-1390385224.jpg main facade 1960's again

post-33481-0-07642200-1390385248_thumb.j main facade with tram. looks 1950's my favourite of all these pictures

post-33481-0-43055600-1390385271_thumb.j Inside looking from east end of stadium

Fir%20Park%209.jpg

Apparently the Davie Cooper stand was a scaled down version of the away stand and the architect allegedly forgot to make the front overhang thing smaller and is the same size as the one on the away stand :lol:

Is this the stand that was sinking in one corner? As you look at the stand, it does appear to slope off to the right. I suppose that it was propped up in some way to prevent it sinking further?

This photo is apparently from 2 January 1956, when Hibs & Hearts drew 2-2.

It was the last time Easter Road accommodated over 60,000, with 60,812 in attendance.

Remarkably, the highest attendance was before the east terracing was expanded, with 65,840 attending on the 2 January 1950.

Compare that with Hibs' finally selling out the newly completed stadium, with 20,106 in attendance on 2 January 2014.

2198871889_65288d9d9b_zpsc4eefb86.jpg

Is this the stand that was sinking in one corner? As you look at the stand, it does appear to slope off to the right. I suppose that it was propped up in some way to prevent it sinking further?

I'm not aware that it was sinking, the pitch has a slope which slopes down to the dugouts. It's also visible on the away stand (look at the wall at the bottom getting taller). Wasn't a stand at Airdrie United's ground sinking?

220px-Fir_Park.jpg

Another of Fir Park.

firparkpast3.jpg

I dunno about that, but isn't it true that Aberdeen were doing the opening of the Dick Donald at one side, while they were pumping concrete underneath the other side?

This photo is apparently from 2 January 1956, when Hibs & Hearts drew 2-2.

It was the last time Easter Road accommodated over 60,000, with 60,812 in attendance.

Remarkably, the highest attendance was before the east terracing was expanded, with 65,840 attending on the 2 January 1950.

Compare that with Hibs' finally selling out the newly completed stadium, with 20,106 in attendance on 2 January 2014.

2198871889_65288d9d9b_zpsc4eefb86.jpg

There was apparently a Hibs/Queens reserve game in the 50's that drew in circa 27,000

Truly mindboggling by todays crowd levels!

What did your clubs' old stadium look like? What are your abiding memories of the old place? Are you (honestly) in a better position the way things are now? Or would you prefer to go back to the good old days?

It would also be interesting to see your memories about visiting the grounds that other fans mention too.

As for Rugby Park - here's some crackin' pictures of how it used to be...

vzc9cg.jpg

0,,10284~9228817,00.jpg

1544964657_bd658f6cd0_o.jpg

90sR%20Park.jpg

I have only fleeting memories of the old place, but we are most definitely better off now. Yes, the 'new' Rugby Park is far too big for our needs, and the leg-room is ridiculous in all stands but the Frank Beattie, but it's home.

Yes the old Rugby park was far better than the Lego stands you have now, (you need as good a knee protection as a choir boy) the old seggie fence was entertaining on derby day! But one of my favourites was two Ayr fans fighting one & other while rolling down the terracing over at the shed with the big Johnnie Waler sign on the roof. I think it was over George Burley's tatics.

Easter Road opened in 1893, the old Main Stand being built in 1924. 'Back' of the East Terrace was built during the 1950s.

Easter_Road_old.jpg

Couple of questions - What direction was that taken from? Is that a body of water in the top-left corner? If it is, what was called and what happened to it?

Fantastic thread. I'm sadly old enough to remember all the older ground iterations (although I never went to Muirton).

Team by team:

Aberdeen: The beach end at Pittodrie was quite good for a sing song actually and not really comparable to bucket seat type things you get now (and I can't remember anyone actually telling you to sit down). The celebration after Kirk scored up there in 91 was mental and I've still got a weird dent on my shin caused by those solid bench seat things that they had in there :)

Celtic: The old Parkhead was ok - a lot better for an away fan than now actually - but in my time going there, it was always pretty empty against us, so not a brilliant atmoshpere compared to most other grounds.

Dundee: Dens was always a bit run-down feeling to me - we were usually on the terracing where the away stand is now although I do remember being in the bench seated bit behind the other goal a number of times - not sure why..

United: I liked Tannadice as it was quite a unique place - the terracing was fucking steep though. Never a happy hunting ground for us in those days, so can't remember walking out happy to many times.

Hibs: Never a fan of Easter Rd in the terracing days - possibly as it was an intimidating place to go with 'Well in those casual-y days.....

Hearts: In every thread about best grounds/away days, etc - I always say Tynecastle - but pre-redevelopment it was my least favourite - an utter shitehole. One of the grounds that you got no cover - and I remember a couple of real soakings there (the cup game in the late 80's where we were 3-0 down at h/t and drowning in the away end still ranks as the miserable I've been at a game). Unlike a lot of grounds in those days, there wasn't even the consolation prize of decent banter between the supporters as the hearts fans that would be up for that were in that big dark shed. Delighted to see it bulldozed.

Inverness: ICT weren't a thing in those days - and we never played Caley or Thistle (or Clach) in my time watching 'Well (or if we did, I don't remember/didn't go).

Killie: Liked Rugby Park a lot actually - although never quite got the spare acre of grass behind the goal - sad to see it go.

'Well: The Old Fir Park was where I grew up and I've got hugely fond memories of standing in at the fence in the covered terracing (where my season ticket seat has been since 1991). It was a standard old school ground I guess - but you got a decent atmosphere in there with only 6 or 7 thousand. The current setup doesn't have my affections to the same extent as it's well past it's sell by date and if we do move, I'll not be too bothered.

Partick Thistle: Wasn't at the old Firhill that often due to being in different divisions most of the time - no strong feelings either way.

Ross County: Was never in the old ground as the clubs never met until last season.

St Johnstone: Never in Muirton although I was going to games when it still existed

St Mirren: Liked Love Street - it was a huge terracing at the away end - but like Fir PArk, followed the "template" that I liked best.

My favourite old ground isn't in the top flight now - East End Park. I loved that it was terracing on three sides but was mostly covered. If they had extended the roof round behind the goal at the away end, it would have been perfect for me....

Easter Road opened in 1893, the old Main Stand being built in 1924. 'Back' of the East Terrace was built during the 1950s.

Easter_Road_old.jpg

Couple of questions - What direction was that taken from? Is that a body of water in the top-left corner? If it is, what was called and what happened to it?

North looking South.

The water on the left is in Lochend park,hence the Lochend Brazil.The bridge of doom is just out of picture on the right.

What did your clubs' old stadium look like? What are your abiding memories of the old place? Are you (honestly) in a better position the way things are now? Or would you prefer to go back to the good old days?

It would also be interesting to see your memories about visiting the grounds that other fans mention too.

As for Rugby Park - here's some crackin' pictures of how it used to be...

vzc9cg.jpg

0,,10284~9228817,00.jpg

1544964657_bd658f6cd0_o.jpg

90sR%20Park.jpg

I have only fleeting memories of the old place, but we are most definitely better off now. Yes, the 'new' Rugby Park is far too big for our needs, and the leg-room is ridiculous in all stands but the Frank Beattie, but it's home.

I loved that place as a kid but I was buzzing watching the new stands getting built.

Got good memories standing on the Rugby Road end then latterly on the East Terracing during the promotion years.

Beating Ayr in the Scottish Cup being one of them, as was beating Dundee in the Quarter Final in 1994 on a rain lashed RP.

Stood on all 3 ends (was in the Johnnie Walker end for the Hamilton Promotion game) and it was a cracking ground.