Your Old Stadium

What did your clubs' old stadium look like? What are your abiding memories of the old place? Are you (honestly) in a better position the way things are now? Or would you prefer to go back to the good old days?

It would also be interesting to see your memories about visiting the grounds that other fans mention too.

As for Rugby Park - here's some crackin' pictures of how it used to be...

vzc9cg.jpg

0,,10284~9228817,00.jpg

1544964657_bd658f6cd0_o.jpg

90sR%20Park.jpg

I have only fleeting memories of the old place, but we are most definitely better off now. Yes, the 'new' Rugby Park is far too big for our needs, and the leg-room is ridiculous in all stands but the Frank Beattie, but it's home.

^^^ my first away ground.

I think there was a fence just to the left of the shed and we were behind the goal to the right of the main stand. It also had the old scoreboard in the home end, where letters corresponded to fixtures in the programme. Got beat 1-0 :(

It was 115 year ago we moved from Carolina Port to Dens Park and it was about 15 year ago that we updated our two stands behind the goals to have a more 'modern' look. Our much criticised Main Stand is a listed building I believe, having been built by the renowned architect Archibald Leitch. Here's one of his stadium plans:

img271.jpg

As you can see, the back of the Derry still looks much the same, but obviously contains a stand now and the Main Stand is still standing today.

Here's a picture of the stadium not long after the Main Stand was built I believe:

2vs5f6a.jpg

Thjose pictures of the east terrace at Easter Road are superb, must have been excellent watching them game from there when it was full. The redeveloped Easter Road is my favourite ground in the country, and if you could get those corner filled in a bit it would be even better.

The old shed at Rugby Park looks excellent also, kind of like the cowshed at Cappielow only bigger. Must have been a tremendous atmosphere in there.

Thjose pictures of the east terrace at Easter Road are superb, must have been excellent watching them game from there when it was full. The redeveloped Easter Road is my favourite ground in the country, and if you could get those corner filled in a bit it would be even better.

The old shed at Rugby Park looks excellent also, kind of like the cowshed at Cappielow only bigger. Must have been a tremendous atmosphere in there.

The fence Jagfox mentions was erected about 2/3 of the way down the side, making the Scoreboard End the bigger, and the half-covered Johnnie Walker the smaller end. And yes, there were some cracking tines to be had at old RP. I'm the opposite to QLP, by the way. Those pictures are "Home" to me, and the new stadium has never felt the same.

^^^^ this

Our Fleeting inspired "21st century" lego kit has never stirred the same feelings. I was an enclosure boy ie the standing area in front of the main stand. It was a nursery area for the younger kids who when old enough would graduate to the big boys bit of the ground where the "real" crowds were

Dandies trying to cram into Pittodrie for a game against Sellick in the 1930's

2rp5tag.jpg

1952 - Look at the car park :lol:

2u5ry42.jpg

1969 I think, Merkland Stand/South Stand corner.

11tswht.jpg

Old Beach End, looks like a cave :)

115864_b10b006e.jpg

49369631.jpg

1903-0403.jpg

1904-0502.jpg

1955040201.jpg

Tynecastle 1955

1966%205-3-1966%20supporters%20spill%20o

1966 Nice pic of the Gorgie Road terracing

tynie1991-2.jpg

tynie1991-3.jpg

tynie1991-6.jpg

reb10.jpg

Just before the Gorgie Stand was built. Pic mid 90's.

Just like to add all these pictures and many more are on the superb londonhearts.com website.

Edited by Mr. X

I would like to state on the record that this is a magnificent thread.

41056730745.jpg

Main Stand being enlarged after the sale of Ian St John and Pat Quinn. The framework shown is the same nowadays and the floating box at the front of the frame is where the TV cameras and commentators go.

3746991678_749142a405.jpg

The Knowetop end, that is now the Davie Cooper stand. I can just about remember being able to look over it (from the Main Stand) and see the Ravenscraig works before the new stand was built.

Fir%20Park%209.jpg

Apparently the Davie Cooper stand was a scaled down version of the away stand and the architect allegedly forgot to make the front overhang thing smaller and is the same size as the one on the away stand :lol:

2l8i4au.jpg

East stand with optional roof seating. All there to see the Pride of Lanarkshire.