Your Old Stadium

Was in Berlin last week for my second visit to see my adopted German side BFC Dynamo - since their promotion to the Regionalliga (tier four) they've moved from the 10,000-ish capacity Sportforum back to their historical home, the Frederick-Ludwig-Jahn-Sportpark, which is all-seater with double the space. But the Sportforum was too big for the often c.1000 crowds as it was so the Sportpark, with its seats and smaller fanzone (compared to the old park) makes it a poor comparison to me... Sportforum for me any day of the week.

(the poor quality smartphone pics from two years ago of the Sportforum are mine - bigger ground photo isn'y!)

post-23394-0-53936700-1456955389_thumb.j

post-23394-0-48299300-1456955395_thumb.j

post-23394-0-86968100-1456955404_thumb.j

post-23394-0-99566300-1456955412_thumb.p

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the anniversary of the last league game at Murton park.

Apparently a 1-0 defeat to Ayr United, scored by John Sludden.

post-1545-14621330708603_thumb.jpg

I know its long since been knocked down but, saw this old image of Pittodrie on the Celtic Wiki and it reminded me of that bizarre tiny wee stand that sat on its own between the main stand and the old beach end, a very odd looking and puzzling structure.

What was the story behind that Dons fans?post-67299-0-55541900-1462316812_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

There are quite a few British Pathe recordings on youtube

here are a bunch -  to see the different grounds.

Dundee V Third Lanark (1952)  at Easter road   

*********************************************************************************

Aberdeen V Rangers (1950s)  at Pittodrie

Edited by babu

-

Dundee utd V Aberdeen (1967)  at Dens park

*********************************************************************************

Dunfermilne V Hibs (1965) at Tynecastle

Edited by babu

Kilmarnock V Celtic (1955) at Rugby park

Aberdeen V Celtic (1967) at Hampden

Edited by babu

• 2 weeks later...

Some great pics in here. One thing I never understood about Love Street when it had that away stand was that you had to climb up a million and one steps half the height of Everest, only to then have to walk all the way down the same number of steps if you wanted to sit near the front.

Brockville was a horrible venue but there was some atmosphere when Falkirk played Dunfermline. Broomfield always seemed very narrow and the pictures above show that it was a narrow and long pitch with big gaps behind the goals. But that pavilion in the corner. Fantastic.

Some great pics in here. One thing I never understood about Love Street when it had that away stand was that you had to climb up a million and one steps half the height of Everest, only to then have to walk all the way down the same number of steps if you wanted to sit near the front.

There was a bar, gym, 5-a-side halls and conference suites built into the undercroft of the stand. There were vomitories at the front which were used to access the front for disabled fans.

• 6 years later...