top 5 favourite Junior Grounds

Roy Race

I am another 'old school' advocate. I hate watching games on an artificial surface.

In no particular order:

Lesmahagow - love the bowl effect.

Talbot

Pollok

Fauldhouse

Loch Park - biased but love the outlook which partially attracted me when I moved to the area 7 years ago.

I agree with an earlier comment re Benburb - the scale of the place is impressive.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were at Wishy during run to Scottish final in 86/87,won 6-0.

You been to Blantyre mate ?No been there since early 70s.Never been to St Rochs or Forth myself.

Best park ever was Muirkirk's old ground,fantastic scenery and a pitch full of holes....and a great roll and mince.No keen on any new ground ave been at prefered the Talbot when it had the old coal slag bing...and Cumnock as well.Petershill's is a pish subbuteo set up with flag poles that fall ower when its windy compared to their outstanding old park.

having looked at pictures i still cant recall wishy!! odd but long time ago and i was a lad then

i must of been to wishaw then mate never missed a game that season just not got memory of it. that scottish cup run i never missed a game for definite, my mascot year,, aye been blantyres castle park..went and took there game in after work a few seasons back when our game was off.. st rochs ave been to as well,, forth is a no for sure.. liked muirkirks old park as well.. sheep herdiing haha

It dont count for me mate unless watching Ladeside at a ground.

Aye,big Feeney got taken to hospital with a head knock that day at Wishy,waited ages on him only to find the bugger had already been driven home by somebody. :)

It dont count for me mate unless watching Ladeside at a ground.

Aye,big Feeney got taken to hospital with a head knock that day at Wishy,waited ages on him only to find the bugger had already been driven home by somebody. :)

looking thru that non league scotland there and its def only 2 in west ave no been in.. am not gonna say ave no been cause it was not with ladeside haha.. counts in my book mate..

I heard Muirkirks ground was some place I've got photos on my pc of it looks like they were playing football on the side of Ben Nevis looked to be some scenery aswell but not a place for the faint hearted eh

Aye,it was a bit wild mate,the terracing had gorse and bracken growing in it but it WAS junior fitba.The dressing rooms were behind the goal and had a wee windae where they sold the rolls and mince,dangerous place to stand but well feckin worth it...lovely.Had a wee covered enclosure far side and it was a scream watching guys trying to control the ball on a nightmare of a pitch.Cost 60p to get in last time a was there,well worth it haha

My experience is somewhat limited but my top 5 are as follows:-

1. Cumnock. I was there for a Cumnock/Auchinleck derby and thought it was superb. A lot of work has clearly gone into it in the past and it's certainly my favourite.

2. Pollok. Great facilities, one of the best stands in junior football and a good pitch as well. Would love to see a big game there.

3. Irvine Meadow. I love these grounds which just appear in the middle of housing estates. Great stand, by all accounts a great social club and the pitch is always good. It's enclosed so you tend to get a good atmosphere as well.

4. Largs. I've only been once but the crowd was around 1200 and the atmosphere was brilliant. The pitch looks fantastic and the backdrop is stunning. The oval shape is a nice feature as well.

5. Talbot. Very near and tidy, well presented with a good stand and decent facilities. Anytime I've been the crowds have been large by junior standards. The only thing stopping it from being higher on my list is that the area behind one of the stands is open and prevents it from being almost fully enclosed. I would like to go to a big Scottish cup game there with a huge crowd.

This is a good thread, very interesting and widely varied opinion, here is mine with Talbot left out, there have been plenty of complimentary remarks about Beechwood anyway.

1. Newlandsfield, my favourite away day great Junior venue in the heart of Shawlands. Good points, great terrace and huge enclosure creating a brilliant atmosphere in a big game. Bad points, very tight playing surface, no real investment for a good decade or two, no seats.

2. Newton Park Bo'ness, great traditional Junior Venue. Good points, big new enclosure, big playing surface, extensive terrace. Bad points, no seats.

3.Prestonfield Park, placed in a nice town good pubs. Good points, cracking stand, good playing surface and social club, floodlights ( all be it probably need upgrading for licence) Bad points, poorly laid out terrace in enclosure in terms of viewing, grass banking behind one of the goals.

4. Meadow Park Irvine. Good points, great stand, social club, playing surface. Bad points, no standing cover, poor terrace on banking across from stand.

5. Townhead Park Cumnock. Good points, plenty of cover, good social club. Bad points, no seats, playing surface can be heavy.

5th equal. Belsdale Park Beith. Good points, good cover and playing surface. Bad points, no seats and the slope.

Any Junior club who invest in their facilities deserve a mention, keep up the good work guys!

fantastic topic. my top five are.

1) kilbirnie- park is good and improving every season. like the enclosure and open terraces.the support both for and against you up there is an experience when there all behind theyre team.

2) linlithgow- park is great like the seated stand and the feel of been enclosed in the ground. another team with a good vocal support.decent changing facilities the stand above gave you the feel of a good atmosphere outside.

3) st andrews- great wee set up good social club and again another closed in ground just gives out a good atmosphere.the changing facilities were the only negative.

4) troon- parks fantastic, stands been sorted and the small social club is excellent.changing rooms are good aswell.

5) whitletts (voluntary park)- this ground makes my top five as it was a truly traditional district team set up. the park in the middle of a greyhound track small enclosure cold hard changing rooms just like the majority of district teams in junior football.

obviously a few of them clubs i have represented but a few decent ones not to make mine just due to the variety o tried to cover. talbot,pollok and kilsyth were near misses.

1. Newlandsfield.....the benchmark for years and still a great place to watch a game.

2.Old Brandon.....It didn't seem to matter whether it was a junior,amateur,or schools game that was taking place....the atmosphere was always superb,and when Rab's Bellshill were at home the place was jumpin!

3. Keppoch Park....Good memories of good games and good folk in Possil

4.Old Petershill " " " " " " " " " Springburn.

5.Craighead Park A seat up on the banking is the best viewpoint that I've come across in the Juniors,and I hope that the SLC guys get off their arses and get the park sorted!

What's wae folk picking their own teams grounds here?

Surely the idea is to pick other grounds you have visited ?

That's not the topic title. My favourite football ground on the whole planet is Prestonfield and I'll be fvcked sideways if it isn't going in at Numero Uno!! I suspect a few others think the same about their place so why hide it. I've still got 4 to pick - that's plenty!

I've been to New Countess Park, Dunbar so often I've go used to it but you do get a nice view of Traprain Law from one side and the pies are great so it can be Number 1. Could do with a shed/stand though.

Four men and a dug usually turn out at Paties Road, Edinburgh United, but it's quirky enough to have a nursery school at the back of the stand so I'll pick it Number 2. Also one of the first Junior grounds I visited.

Beechwood Park, Sauchie has a lovely view of the Ochil Hills and I liked it even before they built their stand.

Newtown Park, Bo'ness has a fine pitch and the old stand dates from when Bo'ness had a team in the Scottish League. Enjoy it before it falls down.(Armadale had a similar stand, where the covered terrace is now)

East Shore Park, Newburgh- I haven't been there for a while but it was situated on the banks of the Tay and had a nice ramshackle, rural feel about it.

Bubbling under: I miss Victoria Park, Newtongrange with its big stand and Burngrange Park, West Calder for it's swampy pitch, rudimentary toilet facilities and nice view of the shale bings.

post-12982-0-10593700-1390260651_thumb.j

New Countess Park- a trainspotters paradise......!

I love this topic: it brings back many memories from when I first went to the Juniors in the early 80s. First I'd say that (tin hat on!) Western Park Renfrew remains my favourite Junior ground. I know that guys have been slaughtered for including their 'home' ground, but I've watched more Junior games there than any other park, and have played there more often than anywhere else. There are no pies, toilets which risk cholera upon the pissers, etc, etc, but it is a reminder of what a Junior ground IS at times. I also miss Station Park, Baillieston, and was first a visitor to Renfrew supporting Baillieston.

Remembering those early days as a wee boy, I loved going to Benburb: huge, steep, terraces the whole way round (which no other Junior ground in the west seemed to have), Petershill: magnificent pitch, seats, an entrance behind the goals where you had to go up stairs(!); Pollok: noisy enclosure (and Baillieston beat them in the 1984 semis); and Rob Roy for a similar atmosphere in the stand on stilts.

Three more recent additions from playing / spectating have to be Duncansfield, which is simply a magnificent football ground, Shotts for the enormity of the playing surface, and Saracen as a friendly reminder of better days.

Archived