top 5 favourite Junior Grounds

Roy Race

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 5 Favourite Grounds (excluding my own)

Auchinleck - a fantastic setting and atmosphere for a junior match, their officials and set up for me are a benchmark for all junior clubs.

Bo'ness - again a great venue for junior football. More good than bad memories down there.

St Andrews - Always a great day out and a lovely social club.

Culter - anywhere that serves the bovril in a mug is a favourite of mine.

Troon - always enjoyed our visits there.

Beechwood Park has had many nominations on this thread. Maybe 25 years ago that wouldn't have been the case. This is a testimony to all the hard work put in by the committee and our supporters. All done free of charge and done for the love of the club. I hope all these people who contributed feel as proud as a lion when they see the ground now. Well done to all concerned.

Of course it's not just Talbot who have these magnificent men and women driving their clubs on. I take my hat off to all of you.

East & West

1/ Auchinleck Talbot

2/ Linlithgow Rose

3/ Musselburgh Ath

4/ Downfield

5/ Newburgh

North

1/ Burghead Thistle

2/ Banks o' Dee

3/ Fraserburgh Utd

4/ Culter

5/ Lewis Utd

No bein bad but before Bankies moved in the place was a death trap waitin to happen. Bankies done a lot of work to improve the state of the place

. Maybe yoker is looking better because the club have good men running it now and i will tell u something its yoker that r doing all the work to improve the stands and i do know that Clydebank help the up keep of the playing surface

. Maybe yoker is looking better because the club have good men running it now and i will tell u something its yoker that r doing all the work to improve the stands and i do know that Clydebank help the up keep of the playing surface

Good to here

Wasn't a dig at the lads at Yoker as I know from personal experience how hard it is to upkeep a park while on our committee

I am another 'old school' advocate. I hate watching games on an artificial surface.

In no particular order:

Lesmahagow - love the bowl effect.

Talbot

Pollok

Fauldhouse

Loch Park - biased but love the outlook which partially attracted me when I moved to the area 7 years ago.

I agree with an earlier comment re Benburb - the scale of the place is impressive.

Have to add Newtongrange to my list after having visited there for the first time today. very impressive set up, even if it is 20 years old.

I still remember watching Nitten in the 80's at Victoria Park and even remember buying a scale model which I gave to my closest friend Gordon Grandison as a memento of his playing days there.

• 2 weeks later...

From the past my favourite five grounds.

Clydebank - Kilbowie Park as a Junior ground.

Irvine Meadow - Meadow Park a bit of quality.

Dennistoun Waverley - Haghill Park. The ultimate black ash tight ground.

Petershill Park Like Meadow Park a bit of quality about it.

Number One - no contest !!benburb012.jpg?t=1392677709 Tinto Park. The picture is from 1954 and soon after the stand was built. a packed crowd sees the Bens goalie cover the shot.

• 1 month later...

From the past my favourite five grounds.

Clydebank - Kilbowie Park as a Junior ground.

Irvine Meadow - Meadow Park a bit of quality.

Dennistoun Waverley - Haghill Park. The ultimate black ash tight ground.

Petershill Park Like Meadow Park a bit of quality about it.

Number One - no contest !!benburb012.jpg?t=1392677709 Tinto Park. The picture is from 1954 and soon after the stand was built. a packed crowd sees the Bens goalie cover the shot.

Love the photo!!!

Loved Armadale when Talbot played there in the 91-2 Junior Cup, and with over 3,000 inside it was an amazing atmosphere.still got a pic from that day at the volley armadales field off dreams ..unfortunattly old junior grounds are becoming victims to the demolition squads as modern smaller grounds become the norm ...2 great junior stadiums die this summer at govan and kirky :-(

The old Petershill was a superb ground with a great roof.

Benburb I've always enjoyed going to as it's still very much 1930's through and through.

Like the covered enclosure at Pollok (don't know about some of the sanctimonious arses that stand in there though!)

Have a soft spot for Kello Rovers for some strange reason.

Bo'ness, Linlithgow, and Bonnyrigg in the East are all great wee grounds, and I never tire of going to Beith and Medda.

• 9 months later...

Archived