top 5 favourite Junior Grounds

Roy Race

I took these photos of Muirkirk's old Ladeside Park about 8 years ago. It's hard to imagine 5,000 fans around the pitch.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pfc/library/Muirkirk%20old%20ground?sort=4&page=1

Jesus wept - I bet it was cold up there and as you say how the hell did they have 5000 in there.

When was it last used as a ground.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus wept - I bet it was cold up there and as you say how the hell did they have 5000 in there.

When was it last used as a ground.

It was freezing up there and sometimes impossible to play football due to the wind.

I remember one game where I just stood there laughing as it was so outrageous.

Fond memories indeed.

"FuzzyBear] The only place I have not enjoyed was Largs due to the behaviour of the locals.

Good grief. Still banging on about being showered by coins from a group of older fans. Truth is it was one sweetie thrown by a 12 yr old or something like that. Get over it

Another fud who thinks grown men threatening children is acceptable.

No were not.

You've also mentioned Dunipace, which was probably the least enjoyable away day I've ever had. The town was shut, the locals were rude, and there was moss gathering on the stand which caused me to slip and ruin a tracksuit (I was 15).

Hope yur ok noo and not suffered any long term affects

Great post mate, very heartfelt writing and descriptions there, i could identify with a lot of that esp Peasy Park and the big stairs that took you up to the ground at the Petershill rd end.

I love this topic: it brings back many memories from when I first went to the Juniors in the early 80s. First I'd say that (tin hat on!) Western Park Renfrew remains my favourite Junior ground. I know that guys have been slaughtered for including their 'home' ground, but I've watched more Junior games there than any other park, and have played there more often than anywhere else. There are no pies, toilets which risk cholera upon the pissers, etc, etc, but it is a reminder of what a Junior ground IS at times. I also miss Station Park, Baillieston, and was first a visitor to Renfrew supporting Baillieston.

Remembering those early days as a wee boy, I loved going to Benburb: huge, steep, terraces the whole way round (which no other Junior ground in the west seemed to have), Petershill: magnificent pitch, seats, an entrance behind the goals where you had to go up stairs(!); Pollok: noisy enclosure (and Baillieston beat them in the 1984 semis); and Rob Roy for a similar atmosphere in the stand on stilts.

Three more recent additions from playing / spectating have to be Duncansfield, which is simply a magnificent football ground, Shotts for the enormity of the playing surface, and Saracen as a friendly reminder of better days.

Hey Paul I got these photographs from you last year (you were happy for me to download them) absolutely superb images you should send them to one of the big fancy football mags (like four four two) for publication. I've never seen a football setting like this in my life and its hard to imagine 5000 watching a game on this hill. Really incredible. Big thanks to you for preserving this history forever well done mate.

I took these photos of Muirkirk's old Ladeside Park about 8 years ago. It's hard to imagine 5,000 fans around the pitch.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pfc/library/Muirkirk%20old%20ground?sort=4&page=1

Hey Paul I got these photographs from you last year (you were happy for me to download them) absolutely superb images you should send them to one of the big fancy football mags (like four four two) for publication. I've never seen a football setting like this in my life and its hard to imagine 5000 watching a game on this hill. Really incredible. Big thanks to you for preserving this history forever well done mate.

Ahhhh...a wee tad sentimental there RR mate.

Felt they same way when 2 auld fella's who used to live in the village pointed oot exactly where the Cherrypickers pitch was in Glenbuck.

There are some interesting choices, some people have selected some real dumps which have had very little upgrade for decades. But hey, it's all opinion!

Ha ha yes I'm a sentimental soul or is it just mental? lol talking of sentiment I would love to see pics of Tinto Pk Benburb in its heyday without the 3 other terraces covered with grass

I'm lead to believe crowds of 10k to 15k were a norm in the 30s 40s & 50s

Ahhhh...a wee tad sentimental there RR mate.

Felt they same way when 2 auld fella's who used to live in the village pointed oot exactly where the Cherrypickers pitch was in Glenbuck.

I quite agree I for one am not in the business of down talking people or clubs who have fell on hard times and are only doing their best with the tools at hand.

We shouldnt do worst grounds. Every club do the best with the finances they have and dont deserve a slagging.

Davidson Park,Peterhead...home of Longside FC.

Great playing surface,excellent facilities,and some welcoming folk who make a smashin' pot of soup. ;)

i quite liked hermes but others did.nt.. Hoping a couple northern guys come on and give there take on there top 5..

Archived