The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

It is not uncommon to be ID'd everywhere you go, I saw people who were obviously in their 30s at least being ID'd, and I was also asked on several ocassions when I was there last year.

You might be lucky enough, but I believe that they are supposed to ID absolutely everybody, regardless of how they appear.

Yeah that does ring a bell actually, I remember going to a Boston Bruins game and they ID'd my dad, who was about 50 and had fairly grey hair at the time.

Yeah that does ring a bell actually, I remember going to a Boston Bruins game and they ID'd my dad, who was about 50 and had fairly grey hair at the time.

Yeah, Mrs. cT and myself were ID'd in Los Angeles and San Francisco when we were in our 40's.

If you're into boxing, head for a quick refreshment in Jimmy's Corner at 140 west 44th street. Owned by Jimmy Glenn, cut man to Muhammad Ali, as well as many other legends such as Roy Jones. The place is a shrine to boxing.

Jimmy himself still wanders about the place and at 80 something years old, still looks like he could handle himself. A miserable old fucker he is, but he still took the time to have a chat about his time in the ring.

It's also cheap as hell. $3 a Heineken and about 50 yards from Times Square. Can't really go wrong with that!

Stevie Aitken's Love Child, on 08 May 2014 - 12:37, said:

Must be those boyish good looks of yours Frank ;)

:lol::lol: Think the glare from my head must have been getting in the bar-staffs' eyes. ;)

If you're into boxing, head for a quick refreshment in Jimmy's Corner at 140 west 44th street. Owned by Jimmy Glenn, cut man to Muhammad Ali, as well as many other legends such as Roy Jones. The place is a shrine to boxing.

Jimmy himself still wanders about the place and at 80 something years old, still looks like he could handle himself. A miserable old fucker he is, but he still took the time to have a chat about his time in the ring.

It's also cheap as hell. $3 a Heineken and about 50 yards from Times Square. Can't really go wrong with that!

Is that the bar that Panama Lewis goes to to watch the Judah fight in "Assault in the Ring"?

I am getting all over this. We're going to a Broadway show on the Saturday night, so was looking for somewhere to watch Froch v Groves before the show, this is pretty much round the corner from the theater. Is it likely they'll be showing it (it's on HBO)? Do they do food?

I am getting all over this. We're going to a Broadway show on the Saturday night, so was looking for somewhere to watch Froch v Groves before the show, this is pretty much round the corner from the theater. Is it likely they'll be showing it (it's on HBO)? Do they do food?

Not a chance of getting food in there, apart from nuts on the bar. I doubt rats would even eat in there. It's a proper mans drinking pub, but friendly atmosphere and cheap drink. I stayed in the millennium hotel straight across the road so went there for a couple before going out most nights. There was always sport being shown on the telly, so there's a chance it could be on.

The Madison Square Gardens tour was amazing when I was there 10 or 11 years ago. Very interesting when they explained how they lay the basketball court over the ice hockey rink for alternate games every week. They also showed us where (and which) celebrities sit at courtside. Spike Lee had the best seat in the entire arena at that time.

The basketball dressing rooms were superb too. The kits were hanging up (made for giants) and the training shoes were some of the largest sized footwear I've seen in my life. Comically big! Pretty tall those basketball chaps. :D

Cool, thanks guys. Think we're going to see either "The Cripple of Inishmaan", "Rocky", "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" or "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" (I fancy "Of Mice and Men" with James Franco and chris O'Dowd, but don't think she's too keen sadly). Will likely be the Saturday night after the Froch v Groves fight (need to find a bar nearby with HBO), so will probably get them in advance.

Went to see Rocky at the previews and to tell you the truth was a but disappointed with it.

The fight scene at end was well done but the rest of it just didn't really work for me as a stage show. There are many more well established shows that would be better seeing IMO.

I'm sure a show on broadway started in March with denzel Washington which would be worth seeing just for him being in it but imagine it would be pricey.

Would also recommend Ellen's stardust diner on Broadway at 51st street.

Would also highly recommend the helicopter tour. Quite pricey for the time in the air but if your up there on a good days it's an amazing way to see the famous skyline

The New York City pass is also a decent deal and worth it for doing the usual tourist things. IIrc you can go up

The rock during day and again at night as long as it's the same day which is well worth doing also.

For shopping it's us really good but if you do have any free time Woodbury common designer outlets about an hour out the city are also decent for good bargains. Buses go regularly from the port authority bus terminal.

It really is like no other place I have ever been but strangely reminds me a bit of Glasgow just on a much bigger scale with the grid type system.

You Might also be there when the new ground zero museum opens. Ground zero I found to be a bit surreal with what has gone on there. I did find it a bit disrespectful of people posing for selfies in front of the waterfalls when you consider what they stand for.

Edited by dundeefc1783

Don't go to Ellen's Diner. NYC has 1000s if restaurants with much better food at much better prices. It's Shite.

Don't go on a helicopter tour another over priced waste if money and dangerous too.

Do not waste a day at Woodbury Common when you have plenty shops in the city. The stuff is made for designer outlets only and it's easy to tell. I've been and it's a total waste.

What's disrespectful is calling it ground zero.

Anyway you get the point, I disagree with just about everything you wrote...

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

Anyone know the best way to get from Newark airport to Soho?

Cannae be doing wi a taxi.

From the Newark Liberty Int. Airport Station go up to Jersey Penn station then switch to PATH which will take you across to the World Trade Center.

More info here, http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html

My niece's husband, who is a Wall Street banker, went with us to Woodbury Common and spent $3K on suits and stuff. They stay there and went for the bargains.

My advice, go and take a suit case with you. You'll need it.

I agree about Ellen's Diner, it's shite. Had a lovely meal at Rosie O'Grady's not far from there. Try that instead.

Edited by Musketeer Gripweed

How strict are they in the US with the over 21 drinking laws, the next time I go I could be a couple of months short of my 21st, will I not be able to drink anywhere?

in most places in the us they'll check your id. that being said, bars and clubs around university campuses often won't be bothered.

Edited by alexp