The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

14 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Nonsense.  Absolute nonsense.

Flights booked to head back over at the end of November - PCR permitting etc.

10 days - 7 in Manhattan and 3 in the Hamptons.  Can't wait.  Will be first trip to NYC with child in tow, so likely very different to each of my previous 7, but just buzzing to get back to the city.

giphy.gif.12ff1e61e2aebc332f1c98765adc006a.gif

On 10/08/2021 at 14:31, Meldrew said:

different strokes for different folks, we'll all have different views in the main football forum, never expected to fine one i'm really opposite about outside of football {or politics}

most overrated city on the face of the planet.

Have you ever been to London?

• 1 month later...

Just back from a wonderful 10 days in NYC and the Hamptons.

I was slightly worried about the trip for a host of reasons - not least the fact that our media portrays America as being wall-to-wall with conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers - but there was no need, as I felt a lot safer in NYC than I did in London and Scotland (where I stopped en route there and back).  Compliance with mask mandates and vaccination requirements (no indoor dining without vaccine certificate etc.) seemed really strong and even on the subway there was almost 100% mask wearing (completely different to the London tube...).  Stayed in a serviced apartment building (AKA Central Park) right next door to the Plaza - would highly recommend as it had a small kitchenette and was perfectly located.

• Central Park was as amazing as ever - even got some snow falling one day.
  • Brooklyn Bridge slightly quieter than usual, which was a bonus.  Walked down to Brooklyn Bridge park and it was well worth a stroll - they've added (since I was last there, anyway) a floating forest, basketball courts etc. which was pretty cool (and the views over to downtown NYC are unreal). 
  • Prospect Park was an absolute treat.
  • Statue of Liberty torch is closed (but the rest is open), but it isn't that impressive anyway so no great loss.  Ellis Island remains unmissable.
  • Didn't do a broadway show as had a toddler in tow, but all of the usual suspects seem to have reopened.
  • High Line was partially closed for refurbishment (near the Hudson Yards development) but still more than enough to really enjoy.
  • Hudson Yards development now includes a number of piers with playparks etc. which has really improved that area (and the views over to New Jersey are great). 
  • Restaurants have basically all now added outside seating "shacks" in the road, which means there is more seating/space than ever.  Was especially useful for us having a stroller, kid running around etc.
  • Hamptons were completely deserted (it was December, after all) and sadly the Lobster Roll was shut for the season, but the walks in the State parks were absolutely beautiful and driving a minivan was a real treat of domesticity.

All in all, still the best city anywhere on the planet! 

• 4 weeks later...

Currently booked to go with the missus for the first time in March. Really can't wait its a proper bucket list trip for me. Have got tickets for Nets v Knicks at Barclays Centre, unfortunately not MSG but can't have it all 

What's folks thoughts on the NY passes? 

Also Sopranos tour worth doing? Any other recommendations welcome 😊 

16 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Currently booked to go with the missus for the first time in March. Really can't wait its a proper bucket list trip for me. Have got tickets for Nets v Knicks at Barclays Centre, unfortunately not MSG but can't have it all 

Me and my brother used one when we were there. Was definitely worth it as we used it for loads of things and it more than covered the cost of the card. You have to two or three a day to make it worth it, which we did. We usually got similar passes whichever city we've gone to and it's been worth it every time.

Only problem is I can't remember which brand it was. Some only let you visit three or six attractions but ours let us visit as many as we wanted over a set period of time. Included all the big stuff like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty etc and at a few places also came with perks such as skip the line.

Edited by Stu

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2022 at 22:40, Squalor Vic said:

Barclays Center may not be MSG, but it is still an absolutely brilliant venue - a sunset stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge to the game (we stopped midway between the bridge and the venue for a few drinks and a pizza at Forno Rosso but I am sure there are many other options) and you've got yourself an amazing evening.

Used a city pass many years ago and it was fine, but not brilliant as it kind of forced me to go to a couple of places I wasn't desperate to go to.  If you're not using a pass then my recommendation would be to book Statue of Liberty now (via the official website only - the name of which escapes me and can't be searched off my work computer) - I have banged on about it in a few posts on this thread, but for about $20 a head you're not getting a better day out in NYC (or any other major city, for that matter).  Oh, and spend a day walking the whole of Central Park - get the tube up to 110th street, grab a Dunkin donuts and walk all the way down to the Plaza.  A great way to spend a few hours.  Oh, and a Broadway show. 

I could go on, but probably better to get more balanced input in the preceding 30-odd pages of this excellent thread...

On 06/01/2022 at 15:28, Stu said:

Only problem is I can't remember which brand it was. Some only let you visit three or six attractions but ours let us visit as many as we wanted over a set period of time. Included all the big stuff like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty etc and at a few places also came with perks such as skip the line.

Sounds like the New York Pass - which does look pretty good value if you're going to go and see a load of things (which you should, given how many amazing places there are to visit...).

The one I used was, I think, the City Pass - which was fine but if any of the attractions aren't high up on your list then perhaps not great value.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Barclays Center may not be MSG, but it is still an absolutely brilliant venue - a sunset stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge to the game (we stopped midway between the bridge and the venue for a few drinks and a pizza at Forno Rosso but I am sure there are many other options) and you've got yourself an amazing evening.

Used a city pass many years ago and it was fine, but not brilliant as it kind of forced me to go to a couple of places I wasn't desperate to go to.  If you're not using a pass then my recommendation would be to book Statue of Liberty now (via the official website only - the name of which escapes me and can't be searched off my work computer) - I have banged on about it in a few posts on this thread, but for about $20 a head you're not getting a better day out in NYC (or any other major city, for that matter).  Oh, and spend a day walking the whole of Central Park - get the tube up to 110th street, grab a Dunkin donuts and walk all the way down to the Plaza.  A great way to spend a few hours.  Oh, and a Broadway show. 

I could go on, but probably better to get more balanced input in the preceding 30-odd pages of this excellent thread...

Thanks man, the closer it gets the more buzzing I'm getting. I keep on looking at things and trying to work out if I can shoe-horn them in the 5 days we're there. 

Get into brooklyn and get some pizza. Recommend looking at ‘The pizza show’ on youtube with Frank Pinnello and going to some of the new york slice places he features. Its more than just a stop for lunch, you will find these neighbourhood pizza joints in cool parts of Brooklyn or Tribecca etc which are generally always near things worth seeing. Essentially, find good pizza and you’ll find good places. 

17 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Get into brooklyn and get some pizza. Recommend looking at ‘The pizza show’ on youtube with Frank Pinnello and going to some of the new york slice places he features. Its more than just a stop for lunch, you will find these neighbourhood pizza joints in cool parts of Brooklyn or Tribecca etc which are generally always near things worth seeing. Essentially, find good pizza and you’ll find good places. 

Works for me! I've been told John's of Bleeker St is a top pizza joint. 

Going for 3rd time in total and 2nd time with the other half at end of March, definitely going to spend at least half a day in Brooklyn as never done more on both previous trips than get the subway and walk back over the bridge. 

Paid up to see Book of Mormon as its been on my list for years and also doing circle line boat tour for second time as it was that good but other than that trying to do stuff we missed first time round 5 years ago. 

On 17/01/2022 at 14:25, Fuctifano said:

Going for 3rd time in total and 2nd time with the other half at end of March, definitely going to spend at least half a day in Brooklyn as never done more on both previous trips than get the subway and walk back over the bridge. 

Paid up to see Book of Mormon as its been on my list for years and also doing circle line boat tour for second time as it was that good but other than that trying to do stuff we missed first time round 5 years ago. 

The Book of Mormon is well worth it, I'd love to see it on Broadway.

On 17/01/2022 at 21:30, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I went to Frank Pinnello's place in Williamsburg Brooklyn as our Air BnB was just round the corner, it's called Best Pizza and it's really good, the main man himself popped in to see his team.

Nothing to do with pizza but one of my favourite things to do in NYC is to take the Roosevelt Island tramway cable car, it give you some amazing views as you pass by the buildings and over the East River.

Edited by stevieKTID

On 17/01/2022 at 20:35, Squalor Vic said:

Thanks man, the closer it gets the more buzzing I'm getting. I keep on looking at things and trying to work out if I can shoe-horn them in the 5 days we're there. 

You can cram a lot into 5 days in NYC!

On 18/01/2022 at 01:25, Fuctifano said:

Would definitely recommend Prospect Park for a stroll, if you have the time.  It is no Central Park, but still a great spot.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

...one of my favourite things to do in NYC is to take the Roosevelt Island tramway cable car, it give you some amazing views as you pass by the buildings and over the East River.

That's a great shout - amazing view from the cablecar (which is free with a Metrocard); and you also get clear views along the river from the island itself.

Edited by arab_joe

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I went to Frank Pinnello's place in Williamsburg Brooklyn as our Air BnB was just round the corner, it's called Best Pizza and it's really good, the main man himself popped in to see his team.

Nothing to do with pizza but one of my favourite things to do in NYC is to take the Roosevelt Island tramway cable car, it give you some amazing views as you pass by the buildings and over the East River.

Id be a bit star struck!lol. But yeh i think these guys are all grafters anyway so likely to be not too far from the kitchen. Hope the pizza was as good as it looks.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Id be a bit star struck!lol. But yeh i think these guys are all grafters anyway so likely to be not too far from the kitchen. Hope the pizza was as good as it looks.

The pizza was really good, went in for one slice and ended up having 3, my favourite was the white pizza with caramelized onions.

We were halfway through our first slice when my girlfriend kicked me under the table and said "there's Frank" looked up and he was shaking hands with his team and asking if everything was ok which I thought was really cool, I'd had a few beers that day and when I was waiting for slices 2 and 3 he stuck his head back round the door and I drunkenly said something along the lines of "amazing pizza dude" he flashed a big smile and thanked me, he comes across as a really nice guy 

The place itself is very simple nothing flashy or too hip, Christ I'll need to get back there.

Screenshot_2022-01-24-14-32-39-96_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well that's it been and done, what a city! Absolutely loved it, 5 nights and managed to get a fair bit done that we wanted but still didn't scratch the surface and I'd definitely go back. Was weird, nowhere near as busy as I thought it'd be, Saturday night and pubs in centre were quiet, nobody really milling about but it was about -8 and some snow so maybe that had something to do with it.

Highlights were The Edge and The Summit, both were amazing, Edge during the day was incredible and Summit we done on Saturday night and it was something else, well worth a visit.

Took in Nets v Knicks on Sunday too and that was great, in there for 4 hours and it flew in, beers, burgers, hotdogs, constant entertainment a far cry from the fitba experience we have over here, we're doing it all wrong. 

All in all a great trip and experience and one we'll do again

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2021 at 14:31, Meldrew said:

different strokes for different folks, we'll all have different views in the main football forum, never expected to fine one i'm really opposite about outside of football {or politics}

most overrated city on the face of the planet.

Like you say, all about opinions but in this case I disagree. Done loads of cities in my 50+ years and NY is by far the best. You really need 2 weeks to soak it all up. So much to see and do and New Yorkers are a friendly bunch on the whole. Amazing city.