The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Just back from NYC on Wednesday morning. Had an amazing time and would recommend It to anyone. Take plenty of cash though.

9/11 memorial and One WTC Is utterly humbling. The silence around the area considering the size of the city Is remarkable. The flowers at every name who’s birthday It Is Is beautiful and heartbreaking.

Central Park Is stunning. Had a lovely time sitting looking at the ice rink and feeding the squirrels. The view of The Empire State Building being Red, White and blue for Veterans Day and Trump’s visit was a sight to behold.

I found that my best time shopping was at Woodbury an hour out with all the bargains. While Macy’s Is a cracking shop I didn’t find many bargains.

The MetLife stadium Is awesome. I loved the NFL and Jets v Giants was really enjoyable. The tailgating before was hilarious, music blaring everywhere with BBQ’s and Football’s thrown everywhere.

I must’ve spent $300 on a weeks food because you’re just picking food up as you go. I had a Balboa sandwich (Steak, Bacon and mushrooms) and chilli cheese fries and it’s the best thing I’ve ever tasted. The pizza was also brilliant but going to connollys for a chicken pie and chips for some home food was braw.

I didn’t realise just how much the people there are utter c***s. Rude as f**k and about 1 million of them trying to give you mixtapes and look for your money.

I wanted to go to have a great time and leave with no regrets. I did just that.

On 03/03/2016 at 09:43, DigOutYourSoul said:

The bits in bold were it for me, you could easily get the subway down, and i actually really like the NYC subway - far more than London - but we stumbled across so many cool places by walking that we'd never have seen on the subway. Ended up in some great little places, found a really cool record shop in the village that had 100s of old vinyls for $1.

found walking around early in the morning really eerie . Was out and about at 7.30am on Xmas morning and there wasn't anyone on the streets almost had the whole grand central terminal to ourself.

I can't wait to go back. Have done all the touristy stuff now, just happy to go and walk about probabyl take in another show too and try and get out to Yankee Stadium too.

Sorry know this was three years ago but don’t suppose you remember the name of the record shop? Going to New York next month and hoping to do some crate digging amongst the usual tourist stuff.

On 15/11/2019 at 15:19, MSU said:

I've flown both transatlantic and they're essentially the same.

Shame. I found the food last month with United the worst I've had with them in a few years. Tylenol and a couple of beers before take off it is then.

Having been before at this time of year, I would advise everyone to go to Bryant Park at some point. I know I will be there and probably eating and drinking too much.

22 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Shame. I found the food last month with United the worst I've had with them in a few years. Tylenol and a couple of beers before take off it is then.

Having been before at this time of year, I would advise everyone to go to Bryant Park at some point. I know I will be there and probably eating and drinking too much.

We were originally planing to head to the ice rink at Rockefeller (we’ll have the kids with us) but the more I read about it I’m guessing the Bryant Park rink is the better bet, with less queuing?

Do you know if there’s much to do in Brooklyn at this time of the year for kids (16 and 10). My step son wants to see the Biggie Smalls mural but looks like a bit of a jaunt?

Edited by Gibby82

8 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

We were originally planing to head to the ice rink at Rockefeller (we’ll have the kids with us) but the more I read about it I’m guessing the Bryant Park rink is the better bet, with less queuing?

Do you know if there’s much to do in Brooklyn at this time of the year for kids (16 and 10). My step son wants to see the Biggie Smalls mural but looks like a bit of a jaunt?

Bryant Park has a winter festival as well with loads of eating (and drinking) stalls. Loads of wee shops that sell candles, clothes and shit like that. It's great to go there at night.

Jane's Carousel (Google it) between Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge would suit the younger kid. There is also a huge new eating area right next to the water built in some old warehouses. It's a stunning location down there with great views of Manhattan and is a must visit for me. There is also a couple of smaller theatres and close to some of the well known pizza restaurants.

There is also a wee zoo at Prospect Park that might be worth a visit, never been there myself, but my niece used to go there a lot when she stayed over that way.

No idea where that mural is, but there are loads around the bridge area. You won't need to go far. It's an area I've nopt explored enough to be honest.

3 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Bryant Park has a winter festival as well with loads of eating (and drinking) stalls. Loads of wee shops that sell candles, clothes and shit like that. It's great to go there at night.

Jane's Carousel (Google it) between Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge would suit the younger kid. There is also a huge new eating area right next to the water built in some old warehouses. It's a stunning location down there with great views of Manhattan and is a must visit for me. There is also a couple of smaller theatres and close to some of the well known pizza restaurants.

There is also a wee zoo at Prospect Park that might be worth a visit, never been there myself, but my niece used to go there a lot when she stayed over that way.

No idea where that mural is, but there are loads around the bridge area. You won't need to go far. It's an area I've nopt explored enough to be honest.

Thanks for the info. The mural is in Bedford Stuyvesant - not sure there is much going on around there, for a family at least. Though The Nets are playing when we’re there so that’s an option.

On 04/11/2019 at 17:01, Pie Of The Month said:

For anyone considering going to the 9/11 museum I'd recommend doing the smaller 9/11 tribute museum which is a couple of mins walk from the 9/11 memorial site. 

https://911tributemuseum.org/

I'll definitely check that out next time I'm in NYC - looks really interesting and, as I found out, the other museum can get incredibly busy.

On 17/11/2019 at 23:30, Gibby82 said:

Sorry know this was three years ago but don’t suppose you remember the name of the record shop? Going to New York next month and hoping to do some crate digging amongst the usual tourist stuff.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/best-record-stores-in-nyc

11 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

The ice rink at Bryant Park is free, which is great, but it gets really, really busy - the one in Central Park is the biggest/best/quietest of the 3, but it is not cheap.  If you're at Bryant Park then pop next door to the NY Public Library - well worth 30 minutes, especially if it is a freezing day and you need somewhere to thaw out.

10 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Prospect Park is really enjoyable in the same way the Central Park is - a quiet, peaceful place for a stroll in the middle of the city.  There are fewer cafes, restaurants etc. in/around Prospect Park, but it is a 5 minute walk to Grand Army Plaza which, if memory serves, has a few nice cafes, bars just off it (I liked Vanderbilt Avenue, but I'm sure the other streets are similar).

7 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Thanks for the info. The mural is in Bedford Stuyvesant - not sure there is much going on around there, for a family at least. Though The Nets are playing when we’re there so that’s an option.

Barclays Centre is great, and tickets for the NBA seem much cheaper than the Knicks at MSG.  A sunset stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge then the basketball in Brooklyn is some evening!!

On 17/11/2019 at 19:30, Gibby82 said:

Sadly, by remembering roughly where it was I found it on google maps. Mercer Street Books and Records, 208 Mercer Street.

image.png.a2d94ecbfc1b9f5d53b425c466a831d3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it again. Being there for Thanksgiving was amazing, apart from the people. That was mental. Look at the crowds walking down 7th Avenue after it. It's official, I hate Times Square now.

The night at Madison Square Garden for the ice hockey was brilliant, that's one off the bucket list. Giants game next time I reckon.

20191128_113721.jpg

20191128_113755.jpg

Edited by Musketeer Gripweed

On 02/12/2019 at 21:50, 1nickydevlin said:

It really is the greatest city in the world .

I love visiting it, but like London, after a while, my head explodes. I could never live in either city. Way too big, way too busy, way too mental. 

On 02/12/2019 at 18:36, Mark Connolly said:

Just booked up for Easter.

Cannot

Fucking

Wait

We are looking at going between 13th - 17th April, flights are relatively cheap, but trying to find a decent hotel at a fair price is becoming a right pain. 

Currently looking at options for Dec 2020 (I like to be really prepared...).
Hotels are getting more and more expensive, probably down to the GBP/USD exchange rate.
Seen a good offer for a 4* down at Wall Street. Never stayed down that area before, anyone give me any insight?

Hotels are getting more and more expensive, probably down to the GBP/USD exchange rate.
Seen a good offer for a 4* down at Wall Street. Never stayed down that area before, anyone give me any insight?

Stayed at the Millenium Hilton near the 9/11 site, close to Wall Street and the subway, decent enough hotel.

On 06/12/2019 at 07:35, Mitch said:

I'm going on Friday morning and staying there so I'll let you know. When I booked my hotel it was a ClubQuarters but it's been taken over by Radisson which can't be a bad thing surely.

First time to NYC and I'm buzzing for it. Going with my girlfriend and she has family that stay in NJ but work in the city so had plenty of tips from them, but would welcome any decent scran recommendations anyone here has, or if anyone knows where I might be able to get a pint of Tennents in between all the shite IPAs I'll be subjected to. I'm a Giants fan and going to the game on Sunday, and we're tailgating with her family, which I absolutely cannot wait for despite the fact both the Giants and Dolphins are shite this year. 

Something called Santacon happening on Saturday which appears to just be a massive pub crawl across the city, so I've picked a good weekend for it. Will be picking up a Christmas jumper and getting involved in that as well.

7 hours ago, Dave said:

I'm going on Friday morning and staying there so I'll let you know. When I booked my hotel it was a ClubQuarters but it's been taken over by Radisson which can't be a bad thing surely.

First time to NYC and I'm buzzing for it. Going with my girlfriend and she has family that stay in NJ but work in the city so had plenty of tips from them, but would welcome any decent scran recommendations anyone here has, or if anyone knows where I might be able to get a pint of Tennents in between all the shite IPAs I'll be subjected to. I'm a Giants fan and going to the game on Sunday, and we're tailgating with her family, which I absolutely cannot wait for despite the fact both the Giants and Dolphins are shite this year. 

Something called Santacon happening on Saturday which appears to just be a massive pub crawl across the city, so I've picked a good weekend for it. Will be picking up a Christmas jumper and getting involved in that as well.

The Red Flame Diner on W44th St is a great place for an NYC style breakfast. Virgil’s BBQ joint just off Times Square is good, as is Carmines Italian, also near Times Sq. Carmines is always busy, lucky to get in without booking. 

https://www.theredflamediner.com/Welcome.tpl?action=nc&from=Top125

https://www.virgilsbbq.com

https://www.carminesnyc.com/locations/times-square

Edited by pozbaird

20 hours ago, Dave said:

A quick google has confirmed my suspicions.  That genuinely sounds like the worst thing that anyone could ever consider doing, while on holiday in New York.