The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

8 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Some of the best pizza is in Brooklyn though....

So I believe! I've been over there a couple of times to get my Once Upon A Time In America photo, and less importantly, do the bridge. But do I really want to spend half a day there talking shit with my niece and her sausage dog (who always pees on me) when I could be doing something interesting instead. I can facetime her anytime.

So I believe! I've been over there a couple of times to get my Once Upon A Time In America photo, and less importantly, do the bridge. But do I really want to spend half a day there talking shit with my niece and her sausage dog (who always pees on me) when I could be doing something interesting instead. I can facetime her anytime.

Id genuinely just not eat breakfast and just go judge which place had the best slice, thats my idea of heaven. Theres some great neighbourhoods in Brooklyn too. Id love it if someone did a ‘Coming to America’ tour in New York, I know its a bit niche but f**k me i’d love that.

• 2 months later...
On 27/02/2019 at 08:28, 19QOS19 said:

Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

Boston is one of my favourite cities, but I’d do some time there as a holiday in itself. There’s too much to do in NY to spend a day out travelling elsewhere if you’re there for 4 nights.

I'm In NYC for when the Jets play the Giants In the NFL at The Metlife stadium.  Have no real Idea about NFL or how much of a rivalry It Is but i'm gonna buy tickets today off the Jets website and I'm buzzing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 07:33, FifeArab said:

I'm In NYC for when the Jets play the Giants In the NFL at The Metlife stadium.  Have no real Idea about NFL or how much of a rivalry It Is but i'm gonna buy tickets today off the Jets website and I'm buzzing.

They are rivals but they've only played each other a dozen times in the last fifty years, so it's not exactly Barca / Real Madrid.

• 1 month later...

I was at the Lion King in December and it was outstanding, having previously seen the West End production a couple of years back. Between that and Book of Mormon for my favourite show, lion king probably just edging it. Wicked is also very good.

On 25/02/2019 at 22:07, MONKMAN said:

When I was there recently, I got the CityPass  (https://www.citypass.com/new-york ) to cover 6 of the main attractions.

I'm heading over again (I may regret not going to visit other cities, but I just can't get enough of NYC) at the end of September - thinking of using the CityPass as it looks good value.  Only concern is that the Statue of Liberty part does not include access to the pedestal or crown - were you able to pay to go up?  Crown tickets from the Statue Cruises website are already sold out for my days but I want to be at least up to the pedestal for some photos back across to Manhattan...

On 07/05/2019 at 15:33, FifeArab said:

NFL games are absolutely brilliant.  Been to a Patriots v Jets game and, even though they're apparently rivals, there wasn't much animosity (but the traffic getting out to the stadium was crazy given the size of the crowd).  Get there in plenty of time as half the fun is all of the fanfare that goes on around the stadium ahead of the game.  And the Star Spangled Banner before the game is a must.

12 hours ago, FifeArab said:

When we go: Wicked, Lion King, Phantom Of The Opera and Chicago are all playing on Broadway so we have a good choice of shows.

Lion King Is the choice just now anyway.

Lion King and Phantom are two of the best stage shows that I've ever seen; I would recommend going to both if you can, as they're very different.  Lion King great fun but Phantom has a really special atmosphere (I've been back 3 times; it doesn't get old).  Chicago is good but not, in my view, on the same level.

TKTS Booth quite often has Chicago and Phantom tickets (I've never seen Lion King, but you never know) discounted on the day of the show (https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-Overview).

10 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I'm heading over again (I may regret not going to visit other cities, but I just can't get enough of NYC) at the end of September - thinking of using the CityPass as it looks good value.  Only concern is that the Statue of Liberty part does not include access to the pedestal or crown - were you able to pay to go up?  Crown tickets from the Statue Cruises website are already sold out for my days but I want to be at least up to the pedestal for some photos back across to Manhattan...

Didn't bother with the Statue this time but been previously and there was access on the day, but queues were over 4 hrs long.  Was going to take the boat tour instead, but didn't really have time.  The pass is great value though, queue skip everywhere and  got upgraded to sunset tickets at Rockerfeller without having to pay the extra $10 I think it was. 

I wouldn't worry about going up the to the crown of the Statue of Liberty.  Smallest room possibly at the top with a terrible view out a tiny window and you're in there for less than a minute before a queue forms behind you.  Horrendous stairs to get up there too if you're 6ft4 like myself :lol:

Pedestal would be worth it though.

22 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I wouldn't worry about going up the to the crown of the Statue of Liberty.  Smallest room possibly at the top with a terrible view out a tiny window and you're in there for less than a minute before a queue forms behind you.  Horrendous stairs to get up there too if you're 6ft4 like myself :lol:

Pedestal would be worth it though.

You're preaching to the converted - the Crown is definitely underwhelming.  But the view from the pedestal is really good, and only an extra $3 or so when you book online and I was hoping that an upgrade would be available on the CityPass as it looks great value.

Has anyone ever been out to Montauk and the Hamptons?  I'm out that way in a couple of weeks but got nothing organised except a rental Mustang.

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Has anyone ever been out to Montauk and the Hamptons?  I'm out that way in a couple of weeks but got nothing organised except a rental Mustang.

Montauk is lovely, particularly if you enjoy lighthouses and seafood restaurants. 

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as I’m going to New York in a few weeks with my other half. Always wanted to go and can’t quite believe we’re finally going.

We’re planning to squeeze in the following over a few days:

Walking tour of Wall St, Little Italy and Chinatown
9/11 memorial and museum
Top of the Rock
MetLife Stadium (NY Giants game)
Madison Square Garden
Central Park
Brooklyn
Greenwich Village

Amongst other things, depending on time and the weather. Any tips welcome, even if it’s just, “don’t do that, it’s shite”.

12 minutes ago, fraser_smfc said:

Bumping this thread as I’m going to New York in a few weeks with my other half. Always wanted to go and can’t quite believe we’re finally going.

9/11 memorial and museum
Top of the Rock
Madison Square Garden
Central Park
Brooklyn
Greenwich Village

Amongst other things, depending on time and the weather. Any tips welcome, even if it’s just, “don’t do that, it’s shite”.

Dont drop any of those except I can’t speak to the giants game as never been. All of those things are worth doing. If you have time Ellis Island is excellent too. 

On 24/07/2019 at 18:29, MSU said:

Montauk is lovely, particularly if you enjoy lighthouses and seafood restaurants. 

You weren't wrong; very quaint for a couple of days relaxing after a hectic trip across Canada.  And the chowder was spectacular!

10 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

9/11 memorial and museum
Top of the Rock
Madison Square Garden
Central Park
Brooklyn
Greenwich Village

As @Rugster suggests, I would definitely add Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip, especially if it is your first visit to the city.  Ellis Island is really interesting, and the views from the boat are incredible (and, in my eyes, far better than the Staten Island ferry).

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan. I timed it so that it was just after sunset when we started, and dark by the time we got across.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset is spectacular - I also quite like walking over the Manhattan Bridge because you get a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Manhattan Bridge is a lot quieter.