Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pride_of_the_Clyde

The Big New York Thread

Recommended Posts

Just back from a holiday in America which included 5 days in New York.

Best part of the whole holiday was doing the New York Media Boat tour which was recommended on here ages ago.  Taken out on the water in a Navy Seal style boat and you're taken on a 90 minute tour of parts of Manhattan.  Great fun and a unique way to see the sights!

I echo other peoples here when they say that Top of the Rock is a must.  We did the Empire State at 11pm on our first night and loved it.  Next day we did TOTR at 8am and the view was simply breath taking.  Think it helps having the ESB and Central Park visible.

Had a lovely meal in Barbacon on 7th avenue. Basically a bar that does only bacon related food items.  Had a delicious macaroni with bbq pulled pork.  Opinion may have been slightly swayed by the fact it was -15 outside and it was roasting hot food!

Great city though and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Don't waste your time going to the top of the Statue of Liberty.  360 odd steps for a crap view in a tiny area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Just back from a holiday in America which included 5 days in New York.

Best part of the whole holiday was doing the New York Media Boat tour which was recommended on here ages ago.  Taken out on the water in a Navy Seal style boat and you're taken on a 90 minute tour of parts of Manhattan.  Great fun and a unique way to see the sights!

I echo other peoples here when they say that Top of the Rock is a must.  We did the Empire State at 11pm on our first night and loved it.  Next day we did TOTR at 8am and the view was simply breath taking.  Think it helps having the ESB and Central Park visible.

Had a lovely meal in Barbacon on 7th avenue. Basically a bar that does only bacon related food items.  Had a delicious macaroni with bbq pulled pork.  Opinion may have been slightly swayed by the fact it was -15 outside and it was roasting hot food!

Great city though and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Don't waste your time going to the top of the Statue of Liberty.  360 odd steps for a crap view in a tiny area.

The media boat is genuinely one of the best tourist things I've ever done anywhere. I feel like I spend my life recommending it to folk going to New York now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The media boat is genuinely one of the best tourist things I've ever done anywhere. I feel like I spend my life recommending it to folk going to New York now. 

If it was yourself who posted it on here then I owe you a pint.  Would never have found it otherwise!

They were simply brilliant from booking to the actual tour itself.  As it was Feb they couldn't do any runs unless the weather was above 4 degrees and they emailed me everyday with their weather updates to help me plan my holiday.  We left on Tuesday morning and they managed to squeeze us in at 2pm on the Monday.  Eric who took us out was brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 01:40, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Booked to go the week of Thanksgiving. Not my ideal time, but got to go with the flow. Got Carmine's booked for that night already, mental. Great restaurant though, but it's nine months away!

Around Thanksgiving is, in my eyes, the best time of the year for NYC!  Not too hot, not too cold, not too busy, NHL, NBA and NFL seasons are all underway etc.

On 2/15/2019 at 23:50, Mark Connolly said:

Definitely cheaper at the Nets though. If you just want to see an NBA game, go to the Nets, but if you don't mind the extra cost, MSG is brilliant.

The Barclays Centre is great (although,  for full disclosure, I have never been to MSG for the NBA so cannot compare the two...), seats are relatively cheap and for evening games a sunset walk over the Brooklyn Bridge  is absolutely mind-blowing.

On 2/18/2019 at 15:17, The Minertaur said:

Don't waste your time going to the top of the Statue of Liberty.  360 odd steps for a crap view in a tiny area.

Although the walk up to the top of the Crown isn't all that special (especially once when I went up at midday after it had been closed all morning - it was absolutely rammed) and the view is nothing special given how low it is and the direction that it faces, I would reiterate (as I have multiple times in this thread...) that the whole Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip is brilliant.  It amazes me how many visitors to NYC that I speak to who didn't go (although, in their defence, a lot of those people don't go because they don't book tickets in time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2019 at 07:15, arab_joe said:

Although the walk up to the top of the Crown isn't all that special (especially once when I went up at midday after it had been closed all morning - it was absolutely rammed) and the view is nothing special given how low it is and the direction that it faces, I would reiterate (as I have multiple times in this thread...) that the whole Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island trip is brilliant.  It amazes me how many visitors to NYC that I speak to who didn't go (although, in their defence, a lot of those people don't go because they don't book tickets in time).

I agree fully.  We had a great walk around Ellis Island and it was a great place to visit.  Even just going to the pedestal at the Statue of Liberty is worthwhile as you get a good view there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on a bit of a 'ah f**k it' mode just now and may well be booking tomorrow to go for 4 nights in September when I'm off.

Is £1000 enough for 4 nights? I'll be hoping to take in a show and the usual touristy stuff. A sporting event would be a big bonus (not Baseball) as well but that'll be a play it by ear thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm on a bit of a 'ah f**k it' mode just now and may well be booking tomorrow to go for 4 nights in September when I'm off.

Is £1000 enough for 4 nights? I'll be hoping to take in a show and the usual touristy stuff. A sporting event would be a big bonus (not Baseball) as well but that'll be a play it by ear thing.

Pretty vague question, it's as expensive as you make it.

When I was there recently, I got the CityPass  (https://www.citypass.com/new-york ) to cover 6 of the main attractions.

Show prices vary. Saturday night Lion King will be considerably more expensive, than a mid-week matinee Off-Broadway production.

Food can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.  $1 for a massive slice of pizza, or dine in some of the best restaurants in the world.

Uber is reasonable, but NY traffic is chaos.  The subway is cheap, but you'll end up walking miles a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm on a bit of a 'ah f**k it' mode just now and may well be booking tomorrow to go for 4 nights in September when I'm off.

Is £1000 enough for 4 nights? I'll be hoping to take in a show and the usual touristy stuff. A sporting event would be a big bonus (not Baseball) as well but that'll be a play it by ear thing.

Baseball is too good for you :P.
Might be able to catch a preseason basketball game, just depends. £1000 spending money would be fine, we did school of rock for £150 for two. Eat at street food places, £2 dollar pizza slices, burger stalls, go to china town for steamed buns etc, you can eat like a king pretty cheap and a bagel etc for breakfast etc, but with £1000 etc you could eat at better standard places. Just avoid the stardust diner and all that shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the responses. I doubt I'll be going to any fancy places for food tbh. It'll likely be grab and go stuff we eat. I'm more keen on a greasy hot dog than fine dining while I'm there.

Has anyone went for 3 nights? Is that enough time to do the usual things? I've not decided if it'll be 3 or 4 yet but I have heard people saying 3 is plenty. If our flights remain the same with 3 nights we'll arrive at 11am so have the whole day when we arrive anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cheers for the responses. I doubt I'll be going to any fancy places for food tbh. It'll likely be grab and go stuff we eat. I'm more keen on a greasy hot dog than fine dining while I'm there.

Has anyone went for 3 nights? Is that enough time to do the usual things? I've not decided if it'll be 3 or 4 yet but I have heard people saying 3 is plenty. If our flights remain the same with 3 nights we'll arrive at 11am so have the whole day when we arrive anyway.

You can see most of the main sights in a day or two, providing all you want to do is take a photee of yourself outside famous landmarks and not do tours. First time I was there was for a week. I spent 6 days in a bar and the last day taking photos to prove that I didn't spend the entire vacation in a bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is £1000 enough for 4 nights? I'll be hoping to take in a show and the usual touristy stuff. A sporting event would be a big bonus (not Baseball) as well but that'll be a play it by ear thing.

As @MONKMAN says, NYC can be as expensive as you like. 

There are a lot of things that are free (even the best museums etc. have slots each week that are free entry).  The Staten Island Ferry, Central Park,  High Line, 9/11 memorial, Brooklyn Bridge  etc. are all great places to spend some time.

The NFL pre-season will have started by September, so that would be a possibility.  NFL games are over in New Jersey but it is easy to get to the stadium.

14 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:


Baseball is too good for you :P.
Might be able to catch a preseason basketball game, just depends. £1000 spending money would be fine, we did school of rock for £150 for two. Eat at street food places, £2 dollar pizza slices, burger stalls, go to china town for steamed buns etc, you can eat like a king pretty cheap and a bagel etc for breakfast etc, but with £1000 etc you could eat at better standard places. Just avoid the stardust diner and all that shite.

The TKTS stalls are a good place for show tickets, if you have the patience to queue (https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/TKTS-Live).  I've previously got Phantom of the Opera tickets for $75 which is an absolute steal.

11 hours ago, Beatle Bud said:

Going to NYC when the Red Bulls are at home, anyone on here been ? And if so how easy/hard is it to get to from Manhattan ?

I've never done it, personally, but the website suggests that there are shuttles: https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/hub/njtransitrbashuttle.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm more keen on a greasy hot dog than fine dining while I'm there.

Has anyone went for 3 nights? Is that enough time to do the usual things? I've not decided if it'll be 3 or 4 yet but I have heard people saying 3 is plenty. If our flights remain the same with 3 nights we'll arrive at 11am so have the whole day when we arrive anyway.

Eat an everything bagel with lox and cream cheese and you'll not need any lunch, that's for sure.  Dinner of a hot dog and you've eaten for $10 a day.

The last time I was in NYC I was there 8 nights, and could happily have stayed longer. There is (as you'll see in the previous 30-odd pages of the thread) a mountain of things to do; although I am sure you can cram a lot into 3 nights, I wouldn't recommend it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Going to NYC when the Red Bulls are at home, anyone on here been ? And if so how easy/hard is it to get to from Manhattan ?

Easy i got the free shuttle from Penn street station.My hotel was close to there so i used that way but it depends on which part of Manhattan you are staying in as there are other options if i remember correctly

Forgot to add i did the "follow them folk with all the red bull gear on when i got to the station"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Easy i got the free shuttle from Penn street station.My hotel was close to there so i used that way but it depends on which part of Manhattan you are staying in as there are other options if i remember correctlyForgot to add i did the "follow them folk with all the red bull gear on when i got to the station"


Sounds easy enough, cheers
Looking forward to catching a game somewhere new, tho dreading the thought of sitting next to someone spouting those cringe American football chants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

I didnt like Boston, not that much to do on the whole and the accent grinds you down. Jet blue would be your best airline choice for that trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didnt like Boston, not that much to do on the whole and the accent grinds you down. Jet blue would be your best airline choice for that trip.
Forgot about the accent. Might give it a miss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

If you’re only there 4 nights I wouldn’t take a day out to go elsewhere. If you’d been before, maybe, but there’s more than enough to do and see without spending a full day elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

I'm just back from doing a few internal flights around America and it's easy. Basically exactly the same as getting an internal flight here as you've already went through Border Control to arrive in New York.

As others have said though if you're only 3 or 4 days then you should just stay in New York. Taking a day out somewhere else would probably mean sacrificing something in NY.

Do the New York Media Boat Tour. https://www.nymediaboat.com/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Booked it yesterday. I'll need to take a look through this thread to see if all my questions are answered.

One just here though. We're only there 4 nights but has anyone done an internal flight elsewhere? Guy I work with has visited 34 States/places and said the best place he's visited is Boston. It's only an hour or so away and reasonably priced. Wondering if it's worth a day trip.

Boston is a great city, and definitely worth a visit at some point - however if you're only there for 4 nights then I definitely wouldn't waste a lot of time/exhaustion going on this particular trip.  As I'm sure I've said above, NYC is as vibrant a city I have ever visited - and there is enough to keep you occupied for 4 weeks, never mind days...

If you do go to Boston, and have limited time, the Freedom Trail (https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/) is good for seeing lots of interesting places.  And definitely eat chowder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...