The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

42 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Tables booked at The Modern and Marea, both 2 stars, and the Club-A steakhouse. On reserve list for Le Bernadin.

^^^ can't afford Dorsia type post 

(as I post from my hotel in Manhattan) 

Went on the Staten ferry earlier and top advice on here earlier regarding the rear of the lower deck. 

Probably a thousand infighting morons* up on the top deck whilst we had the entire platform below to ourselves. 

Also just booked the Ice H*ns vs Montreal at MSG for tomorrow night. Was tempted by Knicks in 15 mins but then quickly remembered that watching paint dry is more entertaining than basketball. 

*I would have been one otherwise. 

Was rather impressed by the Class A Steakhouse.  Spent $200 on two mains, two sides and some drinks (they threw in a complimentary appetiser & pudding selection to their credit), but bloody hell it was good.  Won't forget for a good while that's for sure, notably for the 2+ inch thick steak cooked to perfection.  :wub:

Home now after six days there, but arguably my favourite day of the week was the cheapest, using the metro card to explore the likes of Little Jerusalem & Little Odessa (Ukrainian) with its various random food establishments.  Little Odessa at Brighton Beach genuinely felt like I was abroad, unlike the likes of Chinatown that was more of an influenced bit of New York, if that makes any sense.   Have to admit that the Jewish presence throughout the city was a bit of a surprise, seeing as lots of men with side-dreds walking around in black suits and top hats isn't something that we see much of back here.  Wasn't such a surprise in Little Jerusalem funnily enough, although hearing ?Yiddish as a first language was.

NY Rangers v Montreal was also a cracking game of hockey.  Finished 5-3 to the Rangers despite them going down 1-3 and then being a man down for~10 mins of power play.  $13.5 the cheapest beer though (although for a swap of tickets,  a couple of randoms gave us an upgrade to their $120 tickets so they could sit beside their mates further back.)

I'm usually not a 'city person', but I'd certainly go back seeing as my other half is certainly keen to.   

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Was rather impressed by the Class A Steakhouse.  Spent $200 on two mains, two sides and some drinks (they threw in a complimentary appetiser & pudding selection to their credit), but bloody hell it was good.  Won't forget for a good while that's for sure, notably for the 2+ inch thick steak cooked to perfection.  :wub:

Home now after six days there, but arguably my favourite day of the week was the cheapest, using the metro card to explore the likes of Little Jerusalem & Little Odessa (Ukrainian) with its various random food establishments.  Little Odessa at Brighton Beach genuinely felt like I was abroad, unlike the likes of Chinatown that was more of an influenced bit of New York, if that makes any sense.   Have to admit that the Jewish presence throughout the city was a bit of a surprise, seeing as lots of men with side-dreds walking around in black suits and top hats isn't something that we see much of back here.  Wasn't such a surprise in Little Jerusalem funnily enough, although hearing ?Yiddish as a first language was.

NY Rangers v Montreal was also a cracking game of hockey.  Finished 5-3 to the Rangers despite them going down 1-3 and then being a man down for~10 mins of power play.  $13.5 the cheapest beer though (although for a swap of tickets,  a couple of randoms gave us an upgrade to their $120 tickets so they could sit beside their mates further back.)

I'm usually not a 'city person', but I'd certainly go back seeing as my other half is certainly keen to.   

Little Odessa is great. I used to love Manhattan -- I still do -- but it's great exploring a bit further and wider. The area around the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens is lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Anyone here ever got the train from DC to New York?

What sort of East Coast hellscape am I in for?

I took the Amtrak from Penn Station to Union Station in DC about 20 years ago. It went through Delaware and Maryland, IIRC. It was fairly uneventful but took around four hours. Although this was back in the mid 90s, I  doubt the infrastructure has seen much if any improvement since then.

Anyone here ever got the train from DC to New York?
What sort of East Coast hellscape am I in for?

Did it last year. Was OK. Train was pretty comfortable. Washington end was fairly green with some nice coastal views. Last hour coming to NY is industrial wasteland. No reserved seating on Amtrak so its a mad dash to get a decent seat.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked NY with the other half and her family midweek there. flying from Glasgow to Newark via London on November 6th back home early November 13th.

totally cannot wait. The first time I've been to the states, they've been 3 times already.

On the list Is: Empire state building, Central park, Brooklyn Bridge, MSG, 9/11 ground zero, some sort of US sports match, Broadway show and Woodbury shopping trip (outside new york). not sure if its all possible but i will be giving It my best shot.

27 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Booked NY with the other half and her family midweek there. flying from Glasgow to Newark via London on November 6th back home early November 13th.

totally cannot wait. The first time I've been to the states, they've been 3 times already.

On the list Is: Empire state building, Central park, Brooklyn Bridge, MSG, 9/11 ground zero, some sort of US sports match, Broadway show and Woodbury shopping trip (outside new york). not sure if its all possible but i will be giving It my best shot.

Easily possible to do the lot.For the shopping dont book any tour type of travel there.There is a bus that leaves from the Port Authority (main bus station) for $5 for a return.Tour companies charge $20-$30 for a day trip and you will need a day to do it all and an empty suitcase to bring it all home

If you're into TV I'd say so the Rockefeller centre, you also get cracking views from the roof with the added benefit of one of those sights being the empire state building.

If you're into TV I'd say so the Rockefeller centre, you also get cracking views from the roof with the added benefit of one of those sights being the empire state building.

We did the tour there and got to see the Jimmy Fallon and SNL sets, was pretty good and reasonable value. Recommend trying to get into audience for a rehearsal or taping.

17 hours ago, MP_MFC said:
22 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Top of the Rock is brilliant, especially the Day/Night ticket, although I saw the Empire State have started doing the same.

As you say though, TOTR is better due to being able to see the ESB!

Going back to NY for 2 days in April as an add on to a cruise. Enough time to catch a show, do some shopping and experience the city.

Go to Woodbury if you want to. It is definitely cheaper and an enjoyable day out. Can get all your shopping done in one day.