The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Was just in New York last month and we went to see Sponge Bob Square Pants the musical.

It was absolutely glorious, my 6 and 4 year old loved it and my son has the playlist downloaded and sings it constantly.

Didn't know what to expect as I had never seen a Broadway show but the music, production, lights, etc were amazing. Cost us a fortune* but well worth it.

*The cost was slightly mitigated by finding $1400 in the glove box of our hire car...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upstate:

I’m heading over next year for a wedding and going to have 4 days outside the wedding to myself. Wedding is up near white plains and I plan to spend at least 2 of these days exploring somewhere either upstate or on the coast.

Does anyone have any “must see” things they know about. I’ll have the car and will be on my own as the wife can’t make it. The only place that’s taken my fancy so far has been mohonk preserve.

Any ideas fully welcome.

Helicopter trips Manhattan. Anyone done this? It’s fairly pricey but quite fancy the night flight. Only problem is there’s no flights from Manhattan at night and need to go to Linden airport NJ, for all the night flights. Seems a bit of a trek to get there and back.

26 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Helicopter trips Manhattan. Anyone done this? It’s fairly pricey but quite fancy the night flight. Only problem is there’s no flights from Manhattan at night and need to go to Linden airport NJ, for all the night flights. Seems a bit of a trek to get there and back.

Not been on a helicopter trip because it costs a fortune, however here's a tip that will let you save a reasonable amount off a trip like that.

Download the Google Trips app, search for where you're going (in your case New York), click it then go to discounts. GetYourGuide is usually the best one, will have about 20% off most of the things you'll want to do. You can either book it through the app or just go through to the checkout, note down the discount code it gives you then use it on the website if that's easier. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the amount of times you can use it either (although you need a different code each time) so you can go back if you fancy something else. I used it for a few things in Lisbon in the summer.

The helicopter trip will still be expensive but if it's a couple of hundred quid then 20% off is a decent saving. For the most part, the prices of the activities seem to be the same as if you'd booked through the site of whatever it is, although double check as a few aren't.

Yeah ive done one at night its pretty spectacular.We got a transport included deal and it took us about an hr each way for a 30 min flight plus i did my usual and fell asleep in the chopper [emoji16]
Both "romantic"type chopper flights ive booked with the missus,new york and the grand canyon ive nodded off on

On 9/6/2018 at 23:15, MONKMAN said:

I did a day-time helicopter ride in January (I couldn't be bothered heading to NJ for the night version), from the tiny heliport next to the Staten Island ferry port.  It was expensive but well worth it as a one-off. 

The 20 minute flight took us over Statue of Liberty and then right up the Hudson River past Central Park etc.  Even through the glass the quality of the photos was amazing.

• 1 month later...
I did a day-time helicopter ride in January (I couldn't be bothered heading to NJ for the night version), from the tiny heliport next to the Staten Island ferry port.  It was expensive but well worth it as a one-off. 
The 20 minute flight took us over Statue of Liberty and then right up the Hudson River past Central Park etc.  Even through the glass the quality of the photos was amazing.

That’s pretty much what I’ve just booked. 20 min tour leaving downtown, round Ellis island and up to the George Washington bridge. Same, really wanted to do the evening flight, but can’t be fucked heading out to NJ.

We've just booked 5 days in New York for the end of next month. It'll be the first time we've been in America and the boys (aged 16 and 13) are really excited about going.
I was wondering what the script is with mobile phones, I'm on the 3 network and have used my phone in Europe no bother (no extortionate data charges, my normal monthly allowance just carried over). Is this the case over in the US or is it best to just get a SIM card when we arrive?

6 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:

We've just booked 5 days in New York for the end of next month. It'll be the first time we've been in America and the boys (aged 16 and 13) are really excited about going.
I was wondering what the script is with mobile phones, I'm on the 3 network and have used my phone in Europe no bother (no extortionate data charges, my normal monthly allowance just carried over). Is this the case over in the US or is it best to just get a SIM card when we arrive?

3 do the same for the US as they do in most of Europe so if your plan allows it in Europe you'll be fine to do the same when you're in New York.

3 do the same for the US as they do in most of Europe so if your plan allows it in Europe you'll be fine to do the same when you're in New York.

Can confirm - when my old boy got back from 2 weeks visiting me, 3 sent him an email saying his usage in the states would have cost him 200 odd quid on Vodafone

• 2 weeks later...