The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

That's my next trip booked. Going in May for 5 nights. Booked an apartment on 34th Street instead of a hotel. It wasn't that much more expensive.

My niece can now drive over there, passed a test and everything. f**k knows how she managed that. She'll be driving us up to Woodbury Common this time, means I can buy loads more.

Other things I need to do this time include walking Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Yankee Stadium (hopefully for either a footbnall match with Lampard's new team or a Yankees match), and a river cruise at night round Manhattan.

And Cinnabon Chillattas.

Edited by Musketeer Gripweed

If you're walking the Brooklyn bridge, try and get a drink or two in one of the outdoor bars on the riverside in Dumbo. The Brooklyn bridge wine bar is good. Gives you time to appreciate the views of Manhattan.

Beware of the cyclists on the bridge though, they're lunatics.

• 2 months later...

There is a cracking boozer just beside the entrance to the empire state building,it brews all its bevy in house and its a pleasant place to while away an evening if you have just done the tour

Heartland Brewery. Got a place up near the big bus terminal as well, although I've been told to stay clear of that area at night. The one on 34th was good though.

I got just over $1900 from Santa, should see me through.

Going for Chirstmas next year. Xmas Eve, Xmas day, Boxing Day 27th and 28th. 4 nights for £650 including flights with British Airways. Going to be strange being there for Xmas but still plenty of shows on broadway, bars and restaurants open as well as numerous other attractions. Hopefully its not -10 and we can actually get around and do things. Can't wait to go back.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to take in an MLS match when I was over in May, but having done a bit of research New York City are playing the Red Bulls on the night we leave, which is a bit of a shame.

However, the Yankees are at home for four days when we are there. As someone who has no real interest in baseball (I don't even know how long a match lasts to be honest), is it worth thinking about getting tickets, just for the spectacle?

Just missing the NBA playoffs by a few days as well which is a real pisser. Been told that going to a match at MSG would have been amazing. Oh well.

However, the Yankees are at home for four days when we are there. As someone who has no real interest in baseball (I don't even know how long a match lasts to be honest), is it worth thinking about getting tickets, just for the spectacle?

I've not been to see the Yankees but I went to see the Blue Jays v Red Sox when I was in Toronto a couple of years back and loved it. I didn't have a clue what was happening but the atmosphere was great (if somewhat different) and the boy beside me was more than happy to explain what was happening. Throw in a few beers and you've got yourself a lovely old time. I'd recommend it.

Just missing the NBA playoffs by a few days as well which is a real pisser. Been told that going to a match at MSG would have been amazing. Oh well.

The Knicks are the worst team in the league so would be nowhere near the playoffs. Not sure on if the Rangers would still be in the NHL playoffs, they were when I was over in May last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been to see the Yankees but I went to see the Blue Jays v Red Sox when I was in Toronto a couple of years back and loved it. I didn't have a clue what was happening but the atmosphere was great (if somewhat different) and the boy beside me was more than happy to explain what was happening. Throw in a few beers and you've got yourself a lovely old time. I'd recommend it.

I concur. Had a good time at the ny mets great new stadium.

baseball is a bizaree sport though. Half the fans went shopping in the stadium concourse during the game leaving us sitting up in the stand.

I also felt like a dummy when i was caught on the way back frae the bar 4 beers (expert) in hand at the half time interval national anthem playing. There was the stadium standing with hand on chest belting it out and me standing like a dive wi 4 pints on the stairs. I wiz proud to be id'd as well at the gran ol age o 34. ????????

Off to NJ on Sunday to see family but I presume I'll be spending a few days in NY, already going to a Knicks game, what are the other must-see things/things to do?

Best thing you could do would be skip the Knicks game and go to a Nets game instead.

FTFY. Baseball > Hand football.

I would genuinely rather go to a Broadway show or some other boring shite for hours on end than go and watch baseball, up there with cricket in the dull stakes.