The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

I'm here now (arrived Thursday, home Tuesday night) and the things that have changed massively since I was last here in 2017. 

- the smell of weed is everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not my thing these days so no idea how easy it is for non residents to get it via a legal source. 

- there are little pop up covid test vans on every second corner, thankfully don't need one to get back to UK as half of them look dodgy AF

-the taxis now have ads for betting on sports with live prices 😂 

-finally a good one, contactless is in loads of places (bars etc will have a suggested tip button) which cuts down the amount of fannying about with cash. 

On 26/03/2022 at 12:36, Fuctifano said:

I'm here now (arrived Thursday, home Tuesday night) and the things that have changed massively since I was last here in 2017. 

- the smell of weed is everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not my thing these days so no idea how easy it is for non residents to get it via a legal source. 

- there are little pop up covid test vans on every second corner, thankfully don't need one to get back to UK as half of them look dodgy AF

-finally a good one, contactless is in loads of places (bars etc will have a suggested tip button) which cuts down the amount of fannying about with cash. 

Where did you get your COVID test before going?

2 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

Where did you get your COVID test before going?

Used DAM health walk in clinic near me, you only need a lateral flow so got results back with certificate within half an hour. You can also do one of those supervised over zoom tests if no walk in place near to you. 

Only place that asked for and checked vaccine proof was Broadway theatre. Still need masks on public transport and in Met Museum but nowhere else that we went (and if course this could all change at any time) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2022 at 12:36, Fuctifano said:

The smell of weed was nuts. Guys just selling prerolled joints and vans selling edibles dotted about was a huge surprise to me.

When I was over they were just in the process of starting to legalise it

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2022 at 11:28, Squalor Vic said:

The smell of weed was nuts. Guys just selling prerolled joints and vans selling edibles dotted about was a huge surprise to me.

When I was over they were just in the process of starting to legalise it

It's fully legal now but the state apparatus still isn't quite up and running - so whether the guys in the vans have 'dispensary' permits in lieu of storefronts and whatnot being agreed I'm not sure, but it might just be on the list of things the polis don't/have been told not to give a f**k about. In Chicago you can go into a dispensary as a tourist no issues, you just need ID proving you're over 21 and some cash (they don't take credit cards, some take debit, but a non-US bank may complicate things). You're still meant to smoke it in a private residence (or the porch or garden of one, that's been clarified) but in reality the Lakefront park is every bit as humming as Central Park in NYC is with it. Or there's vapes and edibles obvs, which you wouldn't get any bother for possession of. 

• 4 months later...

Will be in New York for the Scotland Ireland game, anyone have a recommendation for a decent boozer to watch it?

Also, got tickets for New Order/Pet Shop Boys gig at the Barclays Centre. Intending to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to the gig from out hotel in Downtown - take it that part of Brooklyn is safe enough for a wander early evening?

In New York a week today for 6 days, looking forward to it as have had it booked since March 2020.

Can anyone recommend any good coffee/bagel shops in general, and restaurants in Little Italy?

Got quite a good itinerary sorted

First night - Stand Comedy Club

Thursday - Book of Mormon, managed to get front row seats which is great too

Friday - Florence and the Machine + Sam Fender at MSG

Saturday - New York Derby

Sunday - We booked a half marathon for the morning ages ago to keep us tuned in with our diet, then we are going to an all day rave after (lifes about balance)

Monday and Tuesday no plans.

Any good breakfast/coffee spots would be recommended and any good restaurants in general. 

On 02/09/2022 at 10:02, Gibby82 said:

Will be in New York for the Scotland Ireland game, anyone have a recommendation for a decent boozer to watch it?

Also, got tickets for New Order/Pet Shop Boys gig at the Barclays Centre. Intending to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to the gig from out hotel in Downtown - take it that part of Brooklyn is safe enough for a wander early evening?

Will be a mid afternoon weekday ko so will be quiet

https://www.legendsffnyc.com/

And you'll be fine wandering across the bridge 

19 hours ago, KD1711 said:

In New York a week today for 6 days, looking forward to it as have had it booked since March 2020.

Can anyone recommend any good coffee/bagel shops in general, and restaurants in Little Italy?

Got quite a good itinerary sorted

First night - Stand Comedy Club

Thursday - Book of Mormon, managed to get front row seats which is great too

Friday - Florence and the Machine + Sam Fender at MSG

Saturday - New York Derby

Sunday - We booked a half marathon for the morning ages ago to keep us tuned in with our diet, then we are going to an all day rave after (lifes about balance)

Monday and Tuesday no plans.

Any good breakfast/coffee spots would be recommended and any good restaurants in general. 

Always enjoyed the Red Flame Diner on W44th St for a New York deli’ breakfast experience. Not far from Times Sq.

https://www.theredflamediner.com/Welcome.tpl?action=nc&from=Top125

Edited by pozbaird

On 02/09/2022 at 13:02, Gibby82 said:

We've done that walk for the Nets at Barclays, and it felt pretty safe (also, we were hardly the only ones with the idea).  I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere on the thread, but there are a few bars/restaurants en route to stop for a refreshment or two.

On 07/09/2022 at 17:22, KD1711 said:

6 days is a really good length of visit - have never understood why folk go for only 3 or 4 days when there is so much to see and do!

For a coffee/bagel on the go, we usually go to Lenwichs (website) or Pick-a-Bagel (website).  They're nothing out of this world, but really handy if you're wanting to grab something to eat on the go.

For a proper breakfast, Sarabeths (website) is really nice and right next to Central Park for a stroll afterwards.

For lunch, we always go at least once to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park itself (website). 

Little Italy is quite hit-or-miss, I find, and certainly a lot of the restaurants are quite touristy - but have had a few really good pizzas (from memory, Di Ganarro (website) and last time I enjoyed the outdoor area of Bella Ciao (a couple of doors down from Di Gannaro but appears not to have a website) but that outdoor area may only have been for COVID times) and the location is great if you've just come off the Manhattan Bridge or even the Brooklyn Bridge (walking towards Manhattan).  

Only thing I would definitely add to your itinerary, if you have not done it before, is the day trip to Statue of Liberty and the even more impressive Ellis Island.  I sound like a broken record on this thread, but for the cost (under USD 25 when I went in December) there is no better day you'll have; and the views from the ferry are spectacular.

I'm very jealous, not making it to NYC this year as wife is expecting - but will be taking the baby next winter for their first trip!

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

We've done that walk for the Nets at Barclays, and it felt pretty safe (also, we were hardly the only ones with the idea).  I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere on the thread, but there are a few bars/restaurants en route to stop for a refreshment or two.

6 days is a really good length of visit - have never understood why folk go for only 3 or 4 days when there is so much to see and do!

For a coffee/bagel on the go, we usually go to Lenwichs (website) or Pick-a-Bagel (website).  They're nothing out of this world, but really handy if you're wanting to grab something to eat on the go.

For a proper breakfast, Sarabeths (website) is really nice and right next to Central Park for a stroll afterwards.

For lunch, we always go at least once to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park itself (website). 

Little Italy is quite hit-or-miss, I find, and certainly a lot of the restaurants are quite touristy - but have had a few really good pizzas (from memory, Di Ganarro (website) and last time I enjoyed the outdoor area of Bella Ciao (a couple of doors down from Di Gannaro but appears not to have a website) but that outdoor area may only have been for COVID times) and the location is great if you've just come off the Manhattan Bridge or even the Brooklyn Bridge (walking towards Manhattan).  

Only thing I would definitely add to your itinerary, if you have not done it before, is the day trip to Statue of Liberty and the even more impressive Ellis Island.  I sound like a broken record on this thread, but for the cost (under USD 25 when I went in December) there is no better day you'll have; and the views from the ferry are spectacular.

I'm very jealous, not making it to NYC this year as wife is expecting - but will be taking the baby next winter for their first trip!

Appreciate the advice mate, will add these to the list.

This is my 3rd time going with the friend that I am going with, and 4th in total, which is great as there isn't pressure to go and do the usual things. The first time we went we hammered everything out and then the second time we went we revisited our favourite ones to do so we will be taking it all at our own pace which is great.

The only thing that I am gutted about is the fact that I have booked a rave on the same day as an NFL game, I thought it was pre season initially when I looked at the fixtures but it is what it is.

The breakfasts over there I have found to be rotten in some places so I think we will be sticking to bagel places and will add them onto your recommendations, then fill our boots at lunch and dinner. I hear the boathouse is shutting soon as well so going to get that added.

On 09/09/2022 at 07:07, arab_joe said:

Sarabeths is fantastic for breakfast. 

My recommendations are always a food walking tour of the lower east side.

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/lower-east-side-food-tour/

Also a big apple greeter. I've done two tours. One of Chinatown, lower east side etc and the other more times square, central park, upper west side. 

https://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

Also very jealous. @rugster needs to take me back for the 5th time! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...