The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

Guest Moomintroll

Bumping this thread as I’m going to New York in a few weeks with my other half. Always wanted to go and can’t quite believe we’re finally going.  

We’re planning to squeeze in the following over a few days:

Walking tour of Wall St, Little Italy and Chinatown

9/11 memorial and museum

Top of the Rock

MetLife Stadium (NY Giants game)

Madison Square Garden

Central Park

Brooklyn

Greenwich Village

Amongst other things, depending on time and the weather. Any tips welcome, even if it’s just, “don’t do that, it’s shite”.

Agree with the others around Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. Try to get there first thing in the morning as it gets hellish busy & you can then walk up to the 9/11 memorial afterwards. Depends what you are into but I also found the American Museum of Natural History a great place to visit & you can combine that with walking through Central Park & going to Strawberry Fields

On 27/08/2019 at 20:26, fraser_smfc said:

Bumping this thread as I’m going to New York in a few weeks with my other half. Always wanted to go and can’t quite believe we’re finally going.

We’re planning to squeeze in the following over a few days:

Walking tour of Wall St, Little Italy and Chinatown
9/11 memorial and museum
Top of the Rock
MetLife Stadium (NY Giants game)
Madison Square Garden
Central Park
Brooklyn
Greenwich Village

Amongst other things, depending on time and the weather. Any tips welcome, even if it’s just, “don’t do that, it’s shite”.

Try and group your visits. For example, if you want to do 9/11 memorial and museum, do the Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street, The Oculus, Brookfield Place and the Staten Island Ferry the same day. They are all within walking distance if you get the subway to Brooklyn and make your way back. 

Get organised before you go and have a plan. Use Google Maps.

I've got a wee bonus visit coming up in October. Staying in Montclair, as my niece is now staying in New Jersey. Really looking forward to going to Hoboken and Six Flags as well as having a couple of trips into the city as well. If things go OK, I'll be a great uncle as well, so might have to wet the wean's head when we are there.

On 28/08/2019 at 23:04, Moomintroll said:

Agree with the others around Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. Try to get their first thing in the morning as it gets hellish busy & you can then walk up to the 9/11 memorial afterwards. Depends what you are into but I also found the American Museum of Natural History a great place to visit & you can combine that with walking through Central Park & going to Strawberry Fields

To reiterate what I have said elsewhere in this thread, I would recommend booking Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island as early as possible - I booked this morning (StatueCruises.com is the official website) and Crown tickets are sold out until mid-November and Pedestal tickets are sold out for September and some weekends in October.

On 30/08/2019 at 01:36, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Get organised before you go and have a plan. Use Google Maps.

Agreed.  There is enough to keep you occupied in NYC for months - so plan carefully to see as much as you can! 

On 30/08/2019 at 17:39, stevieKTID said:

Heading to NYC in a few weeks, staying in Williamsburg this time around, planning on exploring Brooklyn and Queens.
Definitely going to take the cable car to Roosevelt island, it offers amazing views, I highly recommended it.

Cable car to Roosevelt Island is really good and, if memory serves, only costs a couple of dollars.  The island itself was pretty limited, but there is a subway station that'll take you back in a couple of minutes.

On 30/08/2019 at 14:39, stevieKTID said:

Heading to NYC in a few weeks, staying in Williamsburg this time around, planning on exploring Brooklyn and Queens.
Definitely going to take the cable car to Roosevelt island, it offers amazing views, I highly recommended it.

Take $100 to the time out market and fill your boots with amazing food, drink and great views over Manhattan.

On 01/09/2019 at 08:32, arab_joe said:

Cable car to Roosevelt Island is really good and, if memory serves, only costs a couple of dollars.  The island itself was pretty limited, but there is a subway station that'll take you back in a couple of minutes.

You can use you Metrocard if I remember correctly.

Get a Metrocard folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back this was our 4th time in NYC, had a great time, the big apple never disappoints.
Really enjoyed staying in Williamsburg loads of good bars, some a bit hip but some great little dive bars as well, popped into Best pizza which was the best pizza I've had outside Italy even bumped into the owner Frank Pinello really nice guy.
Took the subway to Coney island had a hot dog at Nathans then walked the boardwalk down to Brighton beach had some vodka and herring surrounded by grumpy old Russian dudes.
Walked the length of Manhattan, got off the subway at 59th street and walked to the Guggenheim then through Central Park, down the Hudson then through Greenwich village and onto the Lower East Side, walked back to Brooklyn via the Williamsburg bridge it started to get dark and rainy was like being in an episode of Gotham.
Really enjoyed sitting at the waterfront in Brooklyn looking across at Manhattan it never quite looks real to me and also reminds me of an imperial star destroyer.
Must admit for the first hour or so after we arrived i was struggling to get into the rhythm of the city as we'd spent the previous ten days taking it easy in San Antonio Texas, found a bar had a couple of drinks and watched the world go by and after that felt perfectly fine.

IMG_20190912_220006.jpegIMG_20190913_124426.jpeg

Id love to meet Frank Pinello, what he doesnt know about Pizza isn’t worth knowing. In texas just now, glad you enjoyed SA, sounds like a fun trip.
Maybe i exaggerated when i said met, he stuck his head through the side door as i was ordering my 3rd slice, he asked the staff how it was going, i was a bit drunk and blurted out great pizza and he replied hey thanks, I've never done anything like that before, it was good pizza though IMG_20190912_204023.jpeg

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Just back this was our 4th time in NYC, had a great time, the big apple never disappoints.
Really enjoyed staying in Williamsburg loads of good bars, some a bit hip but some great little dive bars as well, popped into Best pizza which was the best pizza I've had outside Italy even bumped into the owner Frank Pinello really nice guy.
Took the subway to Coney island had a hot dog at Nathans then walked the boardwalk down to Brighton beach had some vodka and herring surrounded by grumpy old Russian dudes.
Walked the length of Manhattan, got off the subway at 59th street and walked to the Guggenheim then through Central Park, down the Hudson then through Greenwich village and onto the Lower East Side, walked back to Brooklyn via the Williamsburg bridge it started to get dark and rainy was like being in an episode of Gotham.
Really enjoyed sitting at the waterfront in Brooklyn looking across at Manhattan it never quite looks real to me and also reminds me of an imperial star destroyer.
Must admit for the first hour or so after we arrived i was struggling to get into the rhythm of the city as we'd spent the previous ten days taking it easy in San Antonio Texas, found a bar had a couple of drinks and watched the world go by and after that felt perfectly fine.

IMG_20190912_220006.jpegIMG_20190913_124426.jpeg

What was your opinion of San Antonio? We’ve been to Dallas twice, Fort Worth twice, and once to Austin and Houston. Have never been to San Antonio. The riverwalk and Alamo we want to do, but how was the city in general? We’ve enjoyed our Texan visits. I think Austin was my favourite. It had a proper ‘town centre’. Downtown Houston was dead as a dodo. We had researched it in advance though, so didn’t stay downtown. We based ourselves at the Galleria Mall area, which was a great base. Dallas is just weird. So big and spread out. Dealy Plaza and the 6th Floor Museum though. Chilling. Any feedback appreciated!

Edited by pozbaird

What was your opinion of San Antonio? We’ve been to Dallas twice, Fort Worth twice, and once to Austin and Houston. Have never been to San Antonio. The riverwalk and Alamo we want to do, but how was the city in general? We’ve enjoyed our Texan visits. I think Austin was my favourite. It had a proper ‘town centre’. Downtown Houston was dead as a dodo. We had researched it in advance though, so didn’t stay downtown. We based ourselves at the Galleria Mall area, which was a great base. Dallas is just weird. So big and spread out. Dealy Plaza and the 6th Floor Museum though. Chilling. Any feedback appreciated!
I really like San Antonio been many times, the riverwalk and the alamo are cool if a little touristy but its not too touristy, the downtown area is expanding rapidly they're currently extending the riverwalk, the city centre itself isn't that big, we have friends there so have been lucky see and do lots of cool stuff like the rodeo, went to a ranch and learned to lasso, spurs game, they live in the north of the city so we get to hang in areas that are off the tourist trail, its really laid back with a massive Mexican influence.

1 minute ago, stevieKTID said:
27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I really like San Antonio been many times, the riverwalk and the alamo are cool if a little touristy but its not too touristy, the downtown area is expanding rapidly they're currently extending the riverwalk, the city centre itself isn't that big, we have friends there so have been lucky see and do lots of cool stuff like the rodeo, went to a ranch and learned to lasso, spurs game, they live in the north of the city so we get to hang in areas that are off the tourist trail, its really laid back with a massive Mexican influence.

Sounds good, it’s definitely on our hit-list. Funny thing is, having been to the cities in Texas I mentioned, we got talking to folk in those cities, and they all said a variation of ‘Oh no, (insert name of their city here) is better. We’re the real Texas’... then, at an NFL game in Wembley of all places, we got talking to a guy from San Antonio... who said... ‘You must come to San Antonio, we’re the real Texas’. 😎

Your description of San Antonio sounds a bit like Scottsdale in Arizona, one of our favourite places which is big enough, but also chilled out. You ever been there?

Sounds good, it’s definitely on our hit-list. Funny thing is, having been to the cities in Texas I mentioned, we got talking to folk in those cities, and they all said a variation of ‘Oh no, (insert name of their city here) is better. We’re the real Texas’... then, at an NFL game in Wembley of all places, we got talking to a guy from San Antonio... who said... ‘You must come to San Antonio, we’re the real Texas’. [emoji41]
Your description of San Antonio sounds a bit like Scottsdale in Arizona, one of our favourite places which is big enough, but also chilled out. You ever been there?
San Antonio is the furthest west I've been in the usa however a friend from Houston is maybe moving to Phoenix near year so might visit

From what you describe there, you’d absolutely love San Diego.

On 03/09/2019 at 21:44, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I managed to get tickets for a Rangers game at MSG for my November trip today. I don't get excited about much these days, but this has got me buzzing. Not cheap though, is it?

I went to a Rangers game earlier this year and loved it.  Ice hockey isn't a sport that I have much interest in but have been checking scores ever since.  Incredible arena although we were in the cheap seats at the back but still had plenty space and a good view.  The sheer range of food and drinks available inside is mental also.

Atmosphere is weird though and there's not much chanting.  The biggest thing they did was when they scored a goal and a horn blazes out followed by everybody singing - "Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal hey hey hey".

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2019 at 00:46, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Get a Metrocard folks.

Very sound advice.  On my last 3 trips I have stayed at a hotel right next to a subway stop so buy a 7 day pass for $33 and use it a good 4 or 5 times a day.  By using the express trains you can get all the way from the Upper West Side to Battery Park in about 20 minutes.

I landed back a month ago and already planning a return next year; NYC is absolutely bloody brilliant.  Early October was a little hotter than I was hoping for (a couple of days were up around 30 degrees) so doubling-down on the fact that the best time to visit is around Thanksgiving.  A few thoughts:

• If you're going to the new Hudson Yards then book in advance - it is free but you have to book online and when I got there the wait was about 90 minutes.
  • The new museum on the Statue of Liberty (and the improved audio guides) made the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island even better than it already was.  Book well in advance - I could only go on a boat at noon and that made it pretty tight for seeing everything.  
  • I turned up over an hour before the free entry to the 9/11 Museum - it was already sold out.  So either stump up the $30 a head for entry, or pick a quiet time of year.
  • I really enjoyed the museum of the City of New York in the Upper East Side - a good way to spend an hour or two after walking the length of Central Park (and it was a bargain, via Groupon voucher).
  • Phantom of the Opera on Broadway is still an absolute classic - I picked up amazing 7th row seats for $90 at the TKTS stand and would recommend to anyone.
  • I'm not much of a foodie, but the newly renovated Loeb Boathouse is fantastic.  As is the Tavern on the Green.  And the food in Little Italy.  And the rooftop bar in the Empire Hotel.  And the happy hour at 230 Fifth.
  • Saw concerts at the Hammerstein Ballroom (Jon Pardi) and in one of the practice rooms at the Carneige Hall (Art Garfunkel) - both amazing venues, even if the concerts themselves were average.

And, as always, I re-did a load of the touristy things that never get old: Grand Central; High Line; Brooklyn Bridge; Manhattan Bridge; boating in Central Park; Times Square; St Patrick's Cathedral; New York Public Library; Little Italy etc.

Genuinely can't wait to go back (especially as I did not get around to going to the Tenement Museum).

For anyone considering going to the 9/11 museum I'd recommend doing the smaller 9/11 tribute museum which is a couple of mins walk from the 9/11 memorial site. 

https://911tributemuseum.org/

It's run by a charity set up by survivors, families etc and they run guided tours of the 9/11 memorial area. Our tour was taken by a guy who was on the 62nd floor of one of the buildings and he lost a couple of co-workers who worked on the floor above. It was quite moving listening to his experiences from the day.  Depending on when you go there's tours by first responders who were there on the day, people who lost family members so I'd imagine the tours can be very different depending on who you get.  

I probably wouldn't recommend doing both as it'd be a fairly depressing day of your trip to New York. I've done both on different trips and preferred the tribute museum and tour to the main 9/11 museum. 

• 2 weeks later...