The Big New York Thread

Pride_of_the_Clyde

On 12/30/2018 at 22:10, FifeArab said:

On the list Is: Empire state building, Central park, Brooklyn Bridge, MSG, 9/11 ground zero, some sort of US sports match, Broadway show and Woodbury shopping trip (outside new york). not sure if its all possible but i will be giving It my best shot.

Best city in the world.   Subway is really quick - all of the above can easily be done in a few days.

I prefer Top of the Rock to the Empire State Building, as you get to see Central Park and the Empire State Building itself.  If you want a good view of lower Manhattan then get a pint in here: https://www.230-fifth.com/.  It has a great happy hour, and has igloos if it is a particularly cold November.

Another thing I would add to your list is a day trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  Ellis Island, in particular, is well worth a visit.  And the views from the ferries there and back are stunning. 

On 03/01/2019 at 08:01, arab_joe said:

Best city in the world.   Subway is really quick - all of the above can easily be done in a few days.

I prefer Top of the Rock to the Empire State Building, as you get to see Central Park and the Empire State Building itself.  If you want a good view of lower Manhattan then get a pint in here: https://www.230-fifth.com/.  It has a great happy hour, and has igloos if it is a particularly cold November.

Another thing I would add to your list is a day trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  Ellis Island, in particular, is well worth a visit.  And the views from the ferries there and back are stunning. 

Along with the Tenement Museum, Ellis Island is one of the best tours I've experienced in New York. Fascinating. Well worth getting the audio tour to go with it.

Made my mind up, I going back this year and this time I going to be doing stuff I want to do as well, for a change

I want to do a couple of museums first up. What are the best ones to target? Natural History museum is a gimme, but I want a couple of others. Can't be bothered going up the high things again to see the same views again.

Will still do Woodbury again though. just for a Cinnabon.

We're looking to head over for the first time this year. We were originally pricing 18-23 of December but seen a brilliant deal for 2nd - 6th.

I'm assuming the lights, tree, ice-skating etc will be set up by the 2nd.. though is it as good as it would be nearer the end of the month?

On 1/15/2019 at 01:58, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Made my mind up, I going back this year and this time I going to be doing stuff I want to do as well, for a change

I want to do a couple of museums first up. What are the best ones to target? Natural History museum is a gimme, but I want a couple of others. Can't be bothered going up the high things again to see the same views again.

Is Woodbury really worth it?  I've never been myself, but just can't imagine any shopping experience being worth sacrificing time in NYC!  And there  is a Cinnabon at Times Square.

As for museums, I always look for the free/pay what you want timings so that I can just pop in for an hour or so to get a quick look around:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/free-and-discount-nyc-museum-admission-1613168

https://www.nycgo.com/articles/free-nyc-museums

In my eyes, the best museums in NYC are the streets, bridges and parks... nowhere better in the world to just  stroll around/people watch.  That being said, in this thread there have been a number of recommendations for the Tenement Museum so that is on my list for next time.

Oh, and the Statue of Liverty/Ellis Island.  I've been every time I've been in NYC since it reopened (it closed after 9/11), and it isn't getting old.

21 hours ago, Central said:

We're looking to head over for the first time this year. We were originally pricing 18-23 of December but seen a brilliant deal for 2nd - 6th.

I'm assuming the lights, tree, ice-skating etc will be set up by the 2nd.. though is it as good as it would be nearer the end of the month?

I've been a number of times between October and January, and think end November/start December is the best time.  All of the ice rinks are open; Christmas decorations go up just after Thanksgiving; and also the weather tends to be slightly warmer than end December/start January (last year it was so cold in January that when I went to the NFL game my Bud Light froze).

On 1/14/2019 at 21:58, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The Met is amazing. 

On 1/15/2019 at 12:31, Central said:

Yes, I was there when the Rockerfeller tree and Lights went on a few weeks back,  28th of November I think it was.  It was absolute mayhem with all the streets round Rockerfeller plaza blocked off, so all the streets around midtown were gridlocked.

Ice skating at Rockerfeller was busy, and apparently the queues are ridiculous for the open sessions.  We pre-booked one of the early morning sessions, but it was fairly expensive for what it was.  The rink at central park was less a lot larger, less crowded and considerably cheaper.

11 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Is Woodbury really worth it?  I've never been myself, but just can't imagine any shopping experience being worth sacrificing time in NYC!  And there  is a Cinnabon at Times Square.

As for museums, I always look for the free/pay what you want timings so that I can just pop in for an hour or so to get a quick look around:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/free-and-discount-nyc-museum-admission-1613168

https://www.nycgo.com/articles/free-nyc-museums

In my eyes, the best museums in NYC are the streets, bridges and parks... nowhere better in the world to just  stroll around/people watch.  That being said, in this thread there have been a number of recommendations for the Tenement Museum so that is on my list for next time.

Oh, and the Statue of Liverty/Ellis Island.  I've been every time I've been in NYC since it reopened (it closed after 9/11), and it isn't getting old.

Woodbury is only worth it if you are going to spend a fair bit of money to be honest. I can spend over $1000 in about four shops. Sounds bad, I know, but getting three pairs of Levi's for around $100 makes it worth while alone. If you like getting labels go fior it, if not, it's not worth he bother.

I'll check your links out later, thanks for that.. I do agree though, that spending time in the streets and parks is worth going to the city for on its own.  I always try and get away on my own and do just that. I spent half an hour sitting watching a dance troupe near the Plaza Hotel that I would never have seen if I had been with the rest of the family. And I could sit all day and watch the world go by at Bryant Park, that's my favourite place in the city.

Have you done The Sopranos tour at all?  Always fancied that, but no idea if it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked into a hotel in the Lower East, 5 nights in July, absolutely buzzing. 

Planning on doing all the usual tourist shite and probably take in a show. 

I see the Yankees are due to play the Blue Jays whilst we're out there. Does anyone know if it's easy enough to get tickets? If so best to sort tickets out before I go or will I be able to rock up and get tickets easily enough? 

Booked into a hotel in the Lower East, 5 nights in July, absolutely buzzing. 
Planning on doing all the usual tourist shite and probably take in a show. 
I see the Yankees are due to play the Blue Jays whilst we're out there. Does anyone know if it's easy enough to get tickets? If so best to sort tickets out before I go or will I be able to rock up and get tickets easily enough? 

Buy the tickets in advance via the yankees directly, if its midweek you should be able to get tickets for about £15, dont worry about being low down etc, i’ve sat in the gods at YS and its fine, better atmosphere more ‘real fans’ than the corporate arseholes.
Its a really good night out, try to sit on the third base line at any level.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Buy the tickets in advance via the yankees directly, if its midweek you should be able to get tickets for about £15, dont worry about being low down etc, i’ve sat in the gods at YS and its fine, better atmosphere more ‘real fans’ than the corporate arseholes.
Its a really good night out, try to sit on the third base line at any level.

Perfect cheers. I went to a Blue Jays game years ago in Toronto before and really enjoyed it so looking forward to this, plus having a few jars this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I last commented In here i've changed my mind and decided to go up The Rock Instead of the Empire state after reading comments and looking at pictures.

I've been thinking about what sports game to take In and I'm siding with The Knicks at MSG. Is It easy enough to get tickets?

Since I last commented In here i've changed my mind and decided to go up The Rock Instead of the Empire state after reading comments and looking at pictures.
I've been thinking about what sports game to take In and I'm siding with The Knicks at MSG. Is It easy enough to get tickets?

Tickets for most nba games on ticketmaster, generally just depends who they are playing etc. Might have a better chance of the Nets etc.

Usually easy enough to get Knicks tickets because they are fucking useless.
Definitely cheaper at the Nets though. If you just want to see an NBA game, go to the Nets, but if you don't mind the extra cost, MSG is brilliant.

Although there's lots of rumors that Kevin Durant might be NY bound and if they luck out in the draft lottery and manage to get Zion Williamson then demand will skyrocket.

Just back from a holiday in America which included 5 days in New York.

Best part of the whole holiday was doing the New York Media Boat tour which was recommended on here ages ago.  Taken out on the water in a Navy Seal style boat and you're taken on a 90 minute tour of parts of Manhattan.  Great fun and a unique way to see the sights!

I echo other peoples here when they say that Top of the Rock is a must.  We did the Empire State at 11pm on our first night and loved it.  Next day we did TOTR at 8am and the view was simply breath taking.  Think it helps having the ESB and Central Park visible.

Had a lovely meal in Barbacon on 7th avenue. Basically a bar that does only bacon related food items.  Had a delicious macaroni with bbq pulled pork.  Opinion may have been slightly swayed by the fact it was -15 outside and it was roasting hot food!

Great city though and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Don't waste your time going to the top of the Statue of Liberty.  360 odd steps for a crap view in a tiny area.

29 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Just back from a holiday in America which included 5 days in New York.

Best part of the whole holiday was doing the New York Media Boat tour which was recommended on here ages ago.  Taken out on the water in a Navy Seal style boat and you're taken on a 90 minute tour of parts of Manhattan.  Great fun and a unique way to see the sights!

I echo other peoples here when they say that Top of the Rock is a must.  We did the Empire State at 11pm on our first night and loved it.  Next day we did TOTR at 8am and the view was simply breath taking.  Think it helps having the ESB and Central Park visible.

Had a lovely meal in Barbacon on 7th avenue. Basically a bar that does only bacon related food items.  Had a delicious macaroni with bbq pulled pork.  Opinion may have been slightly swayed by the fact it was -15 outside and it was roasting hot food!

Great city though and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Don't waste your time going to the top of the Statue of Liberty.  360 odd steps for a crap view in a tiny area.

The media boat is genuinely one of the best tourist things I've ever done anywhere. I feel like I spend my life recommending it to folk going to New York now.