House Of Fools - New Reeves & Mortimer Show

DAFC

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this on the iplayer. I liked it well enough, I'm a big Reeves and Mortimer fan and it's much different to the usual sitcom dross the BBC churns out these days. However it's not brilliant and Vic and Bob were a bit too over the top in the first couple of episodes, even by their standards, but they have improved as the series has gone on. Matt Berry is always good for a laugh and Morgana's pretty funny too. I normally found Renton Skinner hilarious when he's Angelos, but he's a bit hit and miss here as Vic's brother. Bob's son doesn't really add a lot to the show for me.

The puppet/doll scenes for flashbacks, fantasies or plans are brilliant though and the constant songs sung to the tune to "The day we went to banghor" is one of those perfect Reeves and Mortimer jokes which you'd think would get old quickly but remain funny for no real reason. I can't see this getting a second series ultimately.

I have to say that the last show was really bad and it was sad to see three or four comic geniuses flop so badly.

Dunno if it was because I'd just watched Fulham vs Sheffield united but I hardly laughed once.

Could be the end of Vic and bob if they keep this pish up.

I was pleasantly surprised that they stuck with what they're good at (rather than trying to be too modern). If you're generally a fan of Vic and Bob then I think you'll enjoy this series and vice versa. Like other posters have said, it makes me laugh even if I'm not always sure why.

I thought tonights episode was alright. Bob's son still doesn't really work but Bosh has grown on me a bit. Loved the nod back to the Smell of Reeves and Mortimer when Julie went back to her flat and planned to get "booze for the baby".

Matt Berry continues to steal the show though and Morgana is also still a good laugh as Julie.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived