F1 2014

deano67

McLaren are to be the first team to launch their 2014 car (unless someone beats them to it in the next fortnight)

http://m.skysports.com/article/formula1//9105704

What's the predictions for the coming season?

I'm hoping for a few more winners than last year, who gets the best out the new rules should hopefully make it more interesting, and the reliability of the new engines will be crucial.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else a bit disillusioned with racing these days? I don't mean just F1. I've been a huge racing fan for over 20 years, travelling all over to watch 2 and 4 wheeled stuff, but I'm struggling to get excited about much this year.

WRC - A series that looks like it's in its death throes. Horribly sanitised events and cars, no personalities I can think of.

World Superbike - used to love this, but seems to have lost its prestige. Mainly tedious racing.

MotoGP - still watch, but prefer Moto2.

BTCC - glorified club racing. Appalling driving standards which regularly go unpunished and slow cars.

WTCC - Rubbish cars, rubbish circuits.

Porsche Supercup - zzzz...

GP2 - stupid tyres, now not as relevant as Formula Renault 3.5.

F1 - where to start. Contrived nonsense at the moment. Hate the tyres, hate DRS, safety car used too often, seemingly won't let them race in anything worse than a brief shower. I've not missed a race since 1990 but can see me switching off in the near future.

Doesn't leave much. My favourite series is probably British Supersport, followed by British Superbikes. Indycar seems to be regaining some of its prestige, despite having plug ugly cars. Looking forward to Montoya returning this season. My racing trips for the year will be to Oliver's Mount for the road racing. Goodwood Festival of Speed for a perv, British Superbikes somewhere and the Manx GP.

Tickets booked for the maialsia and bahrain double header,the bahrain tickets went onsale today and a 20% saving for early bed tickets

Not F1 but rather tempted to go to the Indy 500 this year now New Jersey won't be happening. Gutted Dario won't be driving but would still be a cool thing to do a couple of months after my 30th.

Eddie Irvine gets sentenced to 6 months in the pokey :lol:

By Nick Squires, Rome, and Gordon Rayner

9:07PM GMT 09 Jan 2014

During his decade as a Formula 1 driver, Eddie Irvine was famed almost as much for his pursuit of exotic women as for his pursuit of Ayrton Senna and Damon Hill.

So when Irvine traded blows with the Mayor of Milan’s son in an Italian nightclub, the police did not need too many guesses at what sparked the bar brawl.

Ulsterman Irvine, 48, came to blows with Gabriele Moratti over a text message he had sent to Mr Moratti’s ex-girlfriend Monica, and later received a threat to his life.

Both men accused the other of starting the fight, and for their trouble each was sentenced to six months imprisonment for assault by a court in Milan on Thursday.

“Fast Eddie” Irvine and his love rival are both likely to avoid going to jail, however, as they have a right to appeal and justice in Italy is so slow that by the time their appeals are heard the indictment, which dates back six years, will have expired.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10562325/Eddie-Irvine-sentenced-to-six-months-in-prison-for-bar-brawl.html

Tickets booked for the maialsia and bahrain double header,the bahrain tickets went onsale today and a 20% saving for early bed tickets

Was in Malaysia in December and if I could cope with the humidity I'd be there like a shot but I sweated like a pig!

Anyone else seen the rumour that Caterham are holding off on the driver announcement as they are looking to give the Kobmeister time to put together a decent package to buy the drive?

....an Eddie Irvine, once a c**t always a c**t.

Was in Malaysia in December and if I could cope with the humidity I'd be there like a shot but I sweated like a pig!

This will be my 5th sepang,its a cracking circuit,but yes its sweaty baws all weekend ,im more excited about Bahrain as ive always been working and never made it out there for a race (i have been with work )

Hearing that p@bs favourite driver "the kobmeister" in with a big shout at driving a caterham this season :thumsup2

Hope so. Always thought it was harsh he was dumped by F1 when his then team-mate (who wasn't any faster than him) ended up signing for McLaren.

Is anyone else a bit disillusioned with racing these days? I don't mean just F1. I've been a huge racing fan for over 20 years, travelling all over to watch 2 and 4 wheeled stuff, but I'm struggling to get excited about much this year.

WRC - A series that looks like it's in its death throes. Horribly sanitised events and cars, no personalities I can think of.

World Superbike - used to love this, but seems to have lost its prestige. Mainly tedious racing.

MotoGP - still watch, but prefer Moto2.

BTCC - glorified club racing. Appalling driving standards which regularly go unpunished and slow cars.

WTCC - Rubbish cars, rubbish circuits.

Porsche Supercup - zzzz...

GP2 - stupid tyres, now not as relevant as Formula Renault 3.5.

F1 - where to start. Contrived nonsense at the moment. Hate the tyres, hate DRS, safety car used too often, seemingly won't let them race in anything worse than a brief shower. I've not missed a race since 1990 but can see me switching off in the near future.

Doesn't leave much. My favourite series is probably British Supersport, followed by British Superbikes. Indycar seems to be regaining some of its prestige, despite having plug ugly cars. Looking forward to Montoya returning this season. My racing trips for the year will be to Oliver's Mount for the road racing. Goodwood Festival of Speed for a perv, British Superbikes somewhere and the Manx GP.

Hey - those are my views!

Got to say I can't really think of a series from last season where I viewed any race as a 'must-see' - I watched F1 mainly out of habit. As you say, WRC isn't even a shadow of it's former self, whereas MotoGP is increasingly a two-man show. I'm not a BT/Premier Sports subscriber either, so the worlds of DTM, IndyCar and Nascar are becoming increasingly alien to me - ten years ago they were compulsory viewing. BTCC and WTCC have been dead to me for many years now.

TBH, the only thing I'm really curious about this season is just how the new F1 turbos sound - once I've scratched that itch I fear my global motorsports interest could be at an all-time low. Still, at least that leaves me more time to watch obscure Group B/C footage on YouTube... :)

WRC and the BTCC are nowhere near the level they were at in the mid to late 1990s - basically because the money has gone.

The Super Touring era was ridiculously good, you had most of the top manufacturers and the top drivers. It was the premier touring car category in the world. Then the money disappeared and now you are left with four or five decent drivers and the rest are average at best. The works teams have gone and it's mainly privateers that are left. It's still a good watch because of the rule changes and they've made it more of an entertainment than a motorsport, but some of the driving standards are deplorable. In the best you'd maybe nudge someone aside to open the door, there'd be a bit of rubbing or you'd fire someone off as revenge. Now it seems punting folk off just to get past is an accepted part of the sport.

Likewise, the WRC had great drivers, lots of manufacturers and fantastic looking cars in the 1990s. Then the money went, most of them switched to hatchback versions instead of the saloons (maybe that's a personal preference) and teams pulled out. Also I think the Loeb dominance killed it off and put new manufacturers off coming in - now his namesake Ogier may do the same. It was great to see when I was on holiday last year but I don't follow it on TV now as they messed up the commercial deal. Having two Brits, and Kubica, in frontline cars might make me change that.

As for the rest? Indycars/CART almost died from the split and is only slowly recovering (the loss of Dario a huge blow from a personal point of view!), I don't watch much of the support F1 races any more, no interest in bikes and they've also pretty much killed British F3.

Still love motorsport though.

Archived