The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think 75% of Yes voters believed there was going to be some eutopia and riches for all, the price of a barrel of oil was only pertinent

to a very basic 'business plan' as it were.

If Scotland had voted Yes, we would not be sailing off on some jolly with Salmond into oblivion and bankrupting ourselves. We would have

had the following period within the safety net of the UK to work the figures more sensibly, before independence happened.

Behind all the bluster and rubbish, from both sides, many great scottish talents came to the floor and gave very good accounts of themselves.

Sadly as a country not enough saw the good of the debate and really didn't believe we could go our own way.

I know a lot said they didn't like the BBC coverage, but i thought Pestons analysis was excellent.

Who knows. The SNP figures certainly didn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny which was why they lost.

Who knows. The SNP figures certainly didn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny which was why they lost.

To what depth did you scrutinise the SNP figures? Yelling "c**t" at your computer does not equate to scrutiny, Reyners.

More good news for Scotland as part of the UK.

Great stuff.

I'm not disagreeing. Also, although I'm pro-indy, I believe it's benefits would have been, or would be, long term. Short to medium term, there would be minimal differences to how things are now. It would be much of a muchness.

Salmond brayed away about oil at $113 a barrel being a "conservative estimate". We had the clown collective in here copying and pasting like mad from their abysmal natblogs yet here we are with oil prices having dropped to around $80 a barrel and not a single critique from the nat clown collective about what this would have done to the independent Scottish economy. What public sector cuts would have been required and how would this have affected the poverty stricken scheme goblins that the SNP had convinced would become better off in an independent Scotland?

Salmond brayed away about oil at $113 a barrel being a "conservative estimate". We had the clown collective in here copying and pasting like mad from their abysmal natblogs yet here we are with oil prices having dropped to around $80 a barrel and not a single critique from the nat clown collective about what this would have done to the independent Scottish economy. What public sector cuts would have been required and how would this have affected the poverty stricken scheme goblins that the SNP had convinced would become better off in an independent Scotland?

We'll answer that question in March 2016. Meanwhile Osbourne is still failing miserably to bring the deficit down. More austerity for the "scheme goblins" right NOW.

Salmond brayed away about oil at $113 a barrel being a "conservative estimate". We had the clown collective in here copying and pasting like mad from their abysmal natblogs yet here we are with oil prices having dropped to around $80 a barrel and not a single critique from the nat clown collective about what this would have done to the independent Scottish economy.

Exactly.

Now, I know Nationalists are unlikely to be competent mathematicians or they would have noted the economic argument just didn't make sense from the very beginning... but even they must be reading about these declining oil prices and realising the negative effect a Yes vote would have had on the economy?

This, added to reduced investment, companies heading south, jobs declining, weekly pay reducing, cuts to public spending, a likely tax hike, house prices falling... I could go on.

I reckon, of the 44% who voted Yes, a good 5% or so are thankful Yes lost. Maybe more. :)

It wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the Scottish economy.

It wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the Scottish economy.

:lol:

Thats right. Oil was "a bonus".

Bloody hell, you are really fucking stupid.

Wonder if Salmond still expects oil to hit "$150 a barrel by 2020" <_<

Lets face it, you were sold an economically illiterate pup and made a c**t of yourself. No wonder you fucked off for nearly a month after the Scottish public delivered its verdict on this nonsense as you tried to come to terms with that as well as the happy clapping you got carried away with in here.

:lol:

Thats right. Oil was "a bonus".

Bloody hell, you are really fucking stupid.

Wonder if Salmond still expects oil to hit "$150 a barrel by 2020" <_<

Lets face it, you were sold an economically illiterate pup and made a c**t of yourself. No wonder you fucked off for nearly a month after the Scottish public delivered its verdict on this nonsense as you tried to come to terms with that as well as the happy clapping you got carried away with in here.

You're thicker than I thought.

We'd have just used some of the oil fund.

Archived