The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble is that the anti EU case in the UK is dominated by xenophobes, mentalists and wingeing retired colonels who still wish it was 1959.

There is a good case to be made for "doing a Norway"- regardless of the result of the independence vote on 18 September- but it just doesn't really register in electoral terms.

The EU is remote and the work it does is not really driven home by MEPs, whilst the EC is undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable and corrupt.

If Scotland does vote yes then I would want to see a really rigorous debate concerning our relationship with the EU, and would be voting to get out. If we vote no, then there's only Cameron's fantasy pledge to have a referendum which is undeliverable and will never happen.

Polling has also shown that the EU is exceptionally low on the public's list of priorities, compared to many other things.

In monthly surveys conducted by Ipsos-MORI for The Economist, voters are asked to name the “most important issues facing Britain.” Only 7 percent cite relations with Europe and this issue does not even rank among the top ten.

Only 20 percent of UKIP supporters express concern about Europe, ranking it fifth as an issue, after immigration, economics, unemployment and healthcare.

http://blogs.reuters.com/anatole-kaletsky/2014/01/16/will-britain-really-leave-the-european-union/

So, it's really a non issue.

Polls have also shown that "Stay" is the massive winner when voters are asked the same question, but with the premise that the government of the day are campaiging for "Stay", which they all will be.

Britain isn't going to leave the EU, despite how much the scaremongering Nat fantasists pretend it's just round the corner.

hahaha that is hilarious. You state that the EU doesn't count in most voters thoughts, then get a hard on because some Spanish guy says Scotland will struggle to get into the EU, make up your mind

I cant find anything much to disagree with you on there.

Thing is, by the look of things today he;s stuck to the bluff line, which doesn't leave him much wriggle room to come up with soemthing soon. the longer he leaves it, the worse it'll look

The trouble is that the anti EU case in the UK is dominated by xenophobes, mentalists and wingeing retired colonels who still wish it was 1959.

There is a good case to be made for "doing a Norway"- regardless of the result of the independence vote on 18 September- but it just doesn't really register in electoral terms.

The EU is remote and the work it does is not really driven home by MEPs, whilst the EC is undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable and corrupt.

If Scotland does vote yes then I would want to see a really rigorous debate concerning our relationship with the EU, and would be voting to get out. If we vote no, then there's only Cameron's fantasy pledge to have a referendum which is undeliverable and will never happen.

Indeed. A yes/out argument seems to me to make a lot of sense. It seems to have been rejected out of hand by the Yes campaign in the generality though.

If the rUk government are saying that we can't share the pound because its theirs, then they can keep the debt too because its theirs. If they intend to pick and choose what's shared and what's not then they can keep it all, we don't need anything from them.

They're not saying you can't "share" the pound, they're saying you can't "share" it as part of a currency union.

An independent Scotland can use the pound the same way as Panama & co use the US dollar. As has been pointed out in previous posts.

ETA: And using the pound outwith a currency union may be more beneficial to Scotland according to some.

This is an expression of both ignorance and desperation. A common mantra in Norway is "We're more European than the Europeans" due to their diligence in implementing EU law (much as the UK does currently). They do this in their desire to maintain their place in the EEA and are assiduous in so doing.

Now if there is one country in the EEA that could give a right "Roon ye" to The EU, EFTA and the notional EEA it'd be Norway given the amount of oil and their huge fishing industry. They haven't done so.

I'm not sure how it is an expression of "ignorance and desperation", in all honesty.

I'm well aware that Norway pegs itself to the EU in some areas- not in all, though (the universities in Norway being at best ambivalent to the Bologna process, for one thing).

being in the EEA does not bind you to follow slavishly all EU legislation in every case, as the shameful Swiss vote on immigration showed recently.

Iceland began EU accession in 2009 but subsequently put the brakes on very firmly, and their accession now seems dead. Safe to say that I doubt bankers would have ended up in jail and the shareholders out of pocket, had the EU been involved at any level.

I like decisions being taken at as local a level as possible. It's one of the big reasons why I have always backed the Yes side. A notionally "independent" Scotland accountable to the unelected EC in Brussels doesn't cut it for me. But it's an argument to be had after a successful referendum.

I'm not sure how it is an expression of "ignorance and desperation", in all honesty.

I'm well aware that Norway pegs itself to the EU in some areas- not in all, though (the universities in Norway being at best ambivalent to the Bologna process, for one thing).

being in the EEA does not bind you to follow slavishly all EU legislation in every case, as the shameful Swiss vote on immigration showed recently.

Iceland began EU accession in 2009 but subsequently put the brakes on very firmly, and their accession now seems dead. Safe to say that I doubt bankers would have ended up in jail and the shareholders out of pocket, had the EU been involved at any level.

I like decisions being taken at as local a level as possible. It's one of the big reasons why I have always backed the Yes side. A notionally "independent" Scotland accountable to the unelected EC in Brussels doesn't cut it for me. But it's an argument to be had after a successful referendum.

This is true to a point though I'd observe that Switzerland is only in EFTA, not the EEA.

So since Alex Salmond is now lecturing what he wants to be another country on what would be best for it in the future, how far will he take this? Is he going to tell Angela Merkl what's best for Germany? Call up Putin and advise him on internal Russian politics? The arrogance of this man is frightening.

Meanwhile, here's what the director general of the British institute of directors thinks. No doubt wee Eck will be along soon to tell him he's wrong too.

post-2169-13926543883943_thumb.jpg

Kick after kick after kick in the head to the yes campaign in the last couple of weeks. What a shame :)

^^^ Angry Northern Brit

Angry at what? My side cruising to a comprehensive victory, ably assisted by the bungling yes campaign?

Couldn't be further from the truth, I'm absolutely delighted by recent events :)

Angry at what? My side cruising to a comprehensive victory, ably assisted by the bungling yes campaign?

Couldn't be further from the truth, I'm absolutely delighted by recent events :)

Do you even look at the polls you once harped on about? Yes is gaining ground and Northern Brits are squirming.

it is blatantly obvious that the neo liberal economics west minster has subscribed to has failed. It caused the banking crash, it has caused ludicrous inequality, it has caused obscene waste and over consumption, it has failed in any way to tackle climate change and it fails to provide basic securities such as a warm house and enough food for your family. Not to mention the endemic of pychological disorder, clearly caused by our individualistic lifestyle. I could go on but you get the picture. The world is in turmoil and the UK is part of that.

So it is clear we need some alternative, and personally i see no point in independance if it is not radical. The SNP position seem to be that we would have made slightly different economic decisions but overall the status quo would remain mostly unchallenged, which is find wholly uninspiring. What we need is a radical change in the structure of society. Personally i think we need complete revolution, but as that is unlikely i will settle for a model similar to denmarks or finlands.

Not sure where to put this but there was a video posted up somewhere months ago that I meant to watch but I can't find it now. It was about an hour long, a Dr talking about the impact Independence would have on Economics etc. at a Uni (Abertay possibly?), does anyone know the one I'm talking about and where I can find it?

Not sure where to put this but there was a video posted up somewhere months ago that I meant to watch but I can't find it now. It was about an hour long, a Dr talking about the impact Independence would have on Economics etc. at a Uni (Abertay possibly?), does anyone know the one I'm talking about and where I can find it?

Search for videos from Business for Scotland.

Archived