The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

Iceland aren't trying to join the EU.

Decalring UDI with a refusal to take on any debt as a new country is an absolutely insane threat. Scotland face being an International paraiah, and refused entry to the EU as a result of it.

It's not a realistic threat.

Neither is Osbornes threat today, it doesn't matter what's realistic, it matters what happens in peoples minds, always has and always will.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iceland aren't trying to join the EU.

Decalring UDI with a refusal to take on any debt as a new country is an absolutely insane threat. Scotland face being an International paraiah, and refused entry to the EU as a result of it.

It's not a realistic threat.

Neither is the Westminster pact against currency union.

If you think playing a joker in February is decisive you're a fool.

It's decisive if Yes Scotland allows it to be decisive, and there is no sign of them trying to change the story, or get the alternative strategy out there for the public to decide, no, we are to be treated to 24 hours of 'no currency union, Independence up the shitter'.

It's decisive if Yes Scotland allows it to be decisive, and there is no sign of them trying to change the story, or get the alternative strategy out there for the public to decide, no, we are to be treated to 24 hours of 'no currency union, Independence up the shitter'.

It's only a few hours since the speech, if we're sitting here in a months time listening to the same stuff it would be decisive, there's no way you can open yourself up to a no win grilling for too long, you take the wee kickback from people getting angry then you move on with confidence.

It's only a few hours since the speech, if we're sitting here in a months time listening to the same stuff it would be decisive, there's no way you can open yourself up to a no win grilling for too long, you take the wee kickback from people getting angry then you move on with confidence.

The line has been set for the next week at least from the SNP.

If we're sitting here in a weeks time you mean. They knew it was coming, they must have looked at the other alternatives and there is no shortage of 'expert groups' saying that alternatives are doable, indeed may even be more advantageous than the current proposal. Get it out now, change the story, make it about what an Independent Scotland can have, rather than a story about what Westminster says we can't.

It's idiotic. Yes could have nipped it in the bud by coming out in the AM with a 'now exploring other options' line. Effectively leaving BT with plenty of ammo but removing their target. Instead we leave it up there and they've switched their rifle onto automatic. We could have used the other options line and then given ourselves 24 hours of Pound Scots, using the unionists old arguments again currency union in favour of our new line.

If we're sitting here in a weeks time you mean. They knew it was coming, they must have looked at the other alternatives and there is no shortage of 'expert groups' saying that alternatives are doable, indeed may even be more advantageous than the current proposal. Get it out now, change the story, make it about what an Independent Scotland can have, rather than a story about what Westminster says we can't.

I wasn't suggesting they should wait a month, I was using it as a reference point, personally I think they should be out tomorrow with something concrete but I don't think they see it the same way.

I wasn't suggesting they should wait a month, I was using it as a reference point, personally I think they should be out tomorrow with something concrete but I don't think they see it the same way.

... and there in lies the problem.

Problem with coming out with a Plan C straight away is that it looks kneejerk. A bit of a "f**k, what do we do now...? OK, how about this?"

If they wait a short time before unveiling Plan C then it looks a bit more considered. I mean it isn't a bit more considered - it's a panic stations move and embarrassing, but it's all about damage limitation now.

Problem with coming out with a Plan C straight away is that it looks kneejerk. A bit of a "f**k, what do we do now...? OK, how about this?"

If they wait a short time before unveiling Plan C then it looks a bit more considered. I mean it isn't a bit more considered - it's a panic stations move and embarrassing, but it's all about damage limitation now.

I think there is a way to phrase it: "We're sorry the chancellor sees it that way, we still believe that a currency union is in the best interests of both parties and we very much hope they come to their senses after the Yes vote, if we cannot reach an agreement with Westminster on a Union, our plan is..." At least makes it sound like you know what you are doing, and knew this was a possiblity. Also has the effect of removing some of the sting of Westminster's attack, while changing the story somewhat.

Sturgeon, given the brief she has today, did very well I thought. She's clearly been told "push the currency union, don't mentiona n alternative,say bluff, bully" and she stuck to that resolutely. She was never going to avoid getting ripped but at least she didn't drop any major clangers

Where's John Swinney though? He should be doing the rounds.

Edit to add - althought the stuff about tuition fees was a bit weird.

He isn't shouty enough.

I think there is a way to phrase it: "We're sorry the chancellor sees it that way, we still believe that a currency union is in the best interests of both parties and we very much hope they come to their senses after the Yes vote, if we cannot reach an agreement with Westminster on a Union, our plan is..." At least makes it sound like you know what you are doing, and knew this was a possiblity. Also has the effect of removing some of the sting of Westminster's attack, while changing the story somewhat.

Completely agree but I suspect the fear is by doing that the immediate reaction from No will be "you can't believe anything they say now "

Completely agree but I suspect the fear is by doing that the immediate reaction from No will be "you can't believe anything they say now "

IN terms of western politics, that's a relatively toothless attack though, and tends to be uttered by one side as soon as the other opens it's mouth (I also tend ot think it's a put off for voters, who probably don't like being told who to believe, or what to do).

Archived