The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

I think you should be telling your pal chicBurma that.

He assured us yesterday this was great news for Yes.

I personally don't think it's bad news, another 4 or 5 months and it would have been a disaster, as it stands now, Sturgeon looks like playing the bully card, that's fine if she's doing it in the short term to raise the dander of the electorate, if it is the new tactic long term then she'd be as well conceding.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were also told yesterday that Osborne was rowing back...before he made the speech. Fun times.

We also had the Wings over Scotland desperation... "Ladbrokes don't believe them" along with "Danny Alexander says he knows nothing about this!!!"

Oops

I'm now firmly in the "Scottish pound" camp now, the people will decide whether we are independent and what our currency is, it won't be the UK pound if we're independent.

I'm now firmly in the "Scottish pound" camp now, the people will decide whether we are independent and what our currency is, it won't be the UK pound if we're independent.

Quite. Salmond/the SNP should speak out and say that in response they are exploring other options, then in a few weeks announce Pound Scots as their preferred option along with lots of 'forced into this position'.

Quite. Salmond/the SNP should speak out and say that in response they are exploring other options, then in a few weeks announce Pound Scots as their preferred option along with lots of 'forced into this position'.

Forced into this position by their own incompetence and arrogance.

Andrew Neil ripping Nicola Sturgeon apart on the Daily Politics just now.

It's a bit of a shame :(

He's absolutely raging, fizzing, at the thought of Scotland taking on none of the debt, pretty much shouting at Sturgeon, but aye, it's a ripping. SNP need to drop the currency union idea - fast.

I am for the union but always admire the first minister and his deputy for their ability to shred most of their opponents in debate. I can't actually think of the last time I saw them lose a round of tittle tattle until today.

Old Brillo has just molicated Nicola Sturgeon.

Sturgeon, given the brief she has today, did very well I thought. She's clearly been told "push the currency union, don't mentiona n alternative,say bluff, bully" and she stuck to that resolutely. She was never going to avoid getting ripped but at least she didn't drop any major clangers

Where's John Swinney though? He should be doing the rounds.

Edit to add - althought the stuff about tuition fees was a bit weird.

Then why is he so incandescent with rage about it, should just laughed it off if its such an insane, pathetic threat. He seemed rattled.

He wasn;t rattled, he was trying to raise the temperature to get her to lose her cool - "international pariah" and all that.

Sturgeon, given the brief she has today, did very well I thought. She's clearly been told "push the currency union, don't mentiona n alternative,say bluff, bully" and she stuck to that resolutely. She was never going to avoid getting ripped but at least she didn't drop any major clangers

Where's John Swinney though? He should be doing the rounds.

Edit to add - althought the stuff about tuition fees was a bit weird.

I thought the lassie performed well in a no win situation, Neil shouting and frothing doesn't mean he hammered her, I know, that's my usual and it gives out the perception of a weak position no matter how strong that position is.

It actually doesn't look good when a guy is frothing at a petite female, never has never will.

Because it's an absolutely insane threat.

That's what they said about Iceland when they screwed over their banks. But then again, the people with form for making 'insane threats' at the moment are the cohort of London-based parties.

Where's John Swinney though? He should eb doing the rounds.

Yeah, it would be a hard job for anybody taking the SNP line to come out of that grilling well. I don't actually rate Sturgeon as highly as others on here, far from it, I guess she did as well as should could... but all this proves is that the currency union schtick is done for. Salmond must come out saying they are exploring other options in response to Gideon's speech because the unionists have won this portion of the debate, and done it convincingly. The currency union is over as a convincing idea, short of a leaked communique from Gideon saying he was talking bollox.

That's what they said about Iceland when they screwed over their banks. But then again, the people with form for making 'insane threats' at the moment are the cohort of London-based parties.

Iceland aren't trying to join the EU.

Decalring UDI with a refusal to take on any debt as a new country is an absolutely insane threat. Scotland face being an International paraiah, and refused entry to the EU as a result of it.

It's not a realistic threat.

Archived