The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

It's also a strange argument as it supposes that an Independent Scotland would have operated in exactly the same way that the Scotland-as-a-part-of-the-UK has. Same policy decisions, same spending decisions, same costs, same...

Which is theoretically possible, but not that likely. Might have a greater surplus, might have a deficit... who can say what a variety of governments over 3 decades would have done with the finances.

You are absolutely correct here but we know what a variety of governments have done with the money, (waste it), & what could have been done, (invest it for the future).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are absolutely correct here but we know what a variety of governments have done with the money, (waste it), & what could have been done, (invest it for the future).

Well said, how can you hope to win a debate if you don't mention the disastrous choices that have gone before, folk aren't as stupid as some seem to think they are.

Well said, how can you hope to win a debate if you don't mention the disastrous choices that have gone before, folk aren't as stupid as some seem to think they are.

And Scottish voters wholly endorsed what Labour got up to. It's excellent seeing a lot of these former Labour voters shuffling away from the rubble they've left behind them and hoping to get another shot at it in a new state. Thankfully it's never going to happen.

And Scottish voters wholly endorsed what Labour got up to. It's excellent seeing a lot of these former Labour voters shuffling away from the rubble they've left behind them and hoping to get another shot at it in a new state. Thankfully it's never going to happen.

What Labour voters, I was one of those Labour voters in 97, I lasted 6 weeks before I came to the conclusion that I'll never vote for them again, there are plenty of people out there with a similar view point, Labour no longer represents huge swathes of the people that vote for them,once YES manage to get this message across you'll be suffering death by duvet for the weeks after the referendum vote.

Perhaps Salmond and Co don't want to score too early.

Mmm. But voters are short termists. So are politicians. It's not a benevolent dictatorship with a 30 year lifecycle. Governments have to be re elected, and there are always pressures to spend more.

I'm not talking about estimated figures, I'm talking about the SG producing figures from HMRCs own accounts.

So unless the No side wanted to attack the credibilty of their own accounts they would have to accept the validity of them.

You're assuming that the UK government will allow the Scottish Government access to HMRC's accounts. It won't.

What Labour voters, I was one of those Labour voters in 97, I lasted 6 weeks before I came to the conclusion that I'll never vote for them again, there are plenty of people out there with a similar view point, Labour no longer represents huge swathes of the people that vote for them,once YES manage to get this message across you'll be suffering death by duvet for the weeks after the referendum vote.

Perhaps Salmond and Co don't want to score too early.

It never really has done though. That it took you 'til 1997 to actually realise you weren't going to be showered with gifts by them is your own particular tragedy. Eventually you'll maybe realise what a load of hokum the SNP are peddling you as well. Maybe.

Once YES get the message out there? Yeah. They have only been attempting it for the past couple of years and more. The white paper was meant to be the big game changer and has flopped and been pulled to ribbons bu all and sundry. The Yes campaign is floundering badly, but you are probably too slow to realise this. It may be a few years after the referendum when it dawns on you right enough, but you'll get there in the same manner you got there with Labour.

As a former labour voter, it's as plain as the shed in your garden, Reynard, that the Labour party of THEN are in no way similar to the current shambolic mess that purports to be the Labour party today.

Tories in red ties, indeed.

It never really has done though. That it took you 'til 1997 to actually realise you weren't going to be showered with gifts by them is your own particular tragedy. Eventually you'll maybe realise what a load of hokum the SNP are peddling you as well. Maybe.

Once YES get the message out there? Yeah. They have only been attempting it for the past couple of years and more. The white paper was meant to be the big game changer and has flopped and been pulled to ribbons bu all and sundry. The Yes campaign is floundering badly, but you are probably too slow to realise this. It may be a few years after the referendum when it dawns on you right enough, but you'll get there in the same manner you got there with Labour.

How would any 40 something know they were voting in charlatans, we had never lived under a Labour Government in our adult lives, we were more interested in kicking a baw about in those days that watching the adults world.

I think I've has enough FPTP party politics if I'm being honest with myself.

We now have 2 choices in the UK, The Tories who look after business and deliberately screw the poor and Labour who look after business and inadvertently screw the poor, that's why most people aren't really interested in politics anymore.

It's also a strange argument as it supposes that an Independent Scotland would have operated in exactly the same way that the Scotland-as-a-part-of-the-UK has. Same policy decisions, same spending decisions, same costs, same...

Which is theoretically possible, but not that likely. Might have a greater surplus, might have a deficit... who can say what a variety of governments over 3 decades would have done with the finances.

What we do.know for certain is that.the UK will have a deficit for.the next few decades at least. Im voting yes for a chance to reverse this decline. It will.not happen under Westminsters watch.

Would Reynard like me to work on and post our +/-'s since 1980/81 in real terms adjusted for inflation?

We'd have a far far smaller share of the debt if this was ever taken into consideration, we might even be owed cash once QE is taken into account.

I won't be putting these in a zipped folder though if you want me to do them, they'll be my new sig so I won't need to post a single word when you post any economic drivel in future.

Would Reynard like me to work on and post our +/-'s since 1980/81 in real terms adjusted for inflation?

Asking Reynard to handle even basic Primary school level sums is a bad idea: just look at the fail in his signature.

Asking Reynard to handle even basic Primary school level sums is a bad idea: just look at the fail in his signature.

You don't need to tell me, he seems to think if he leaves the economic arguments for 2 or 3 days I'll just forget about his ineptitude, I am slowly losing my memory but sadly for Reynard it will not deteriorate sufficiently enough for him to seek succour for quite a few years to come.

Commercial confidentiality. Duh.

They wouldn't be publishing individal accounts but the sum total of revenue raised in scotland.

Labour at the weekend made plenty of arguemnts that a 50p tax brings in more than the current rate - did they publish everyones tax returns?

They wouldn't be publishing individal accounts but the sum total of revenue raised in scotland.

Labour at the weekend made plenty of arguemnts that a 50p tax brings in more than the current rate - did they publish everyones tax returns?

Google it and see what you can find.

Archived