Highland League restructuring

Cyclizine

Is there a timetable for opening up demotion and promotion from and to the HL? Presumably, when and if it happens, the teams involved wouldn't know what they were playing for until after the play offs.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea... It will surely require dialogue with the Juniors as if they decide not to be involved in the pyramid system (or the southerly Juniors decide that and it's not possible for the North to dissent) then - I'd imagine - they'll have to try and construct something new, from interested Juniors and Amateurs and the North Caledonian League.

Or they could form an HL2?

Not necessarily arranged 10-10, they could have 16-16 or something.

In your scenario it's more likely there'd be extra relegation? That's how it's normally arranged in countries with fixed division sizes and fixed boundaries.

Is there a timetable for opening up demotion and promotion from and to the HL? Presumably, when and if it happens, the teams involved wouldn't know what they were playing for until after the play offs.

I don't believe there is any timetable or necessary any formal plans, or even formal negotiations with juniors/NCL to bring them in.

All sounds a bit half arsed to me. Time to ban freebies from the blazers until they come up with something coherent and fair. In the meantime I wouldn't be buying any new fancy lightbulbs.

I would think that the North Juniors would be more on board with a feeder system than down south, especially given the contempt they seem to have been shown by the SJFA and the whole Southern Scotland SooperDooperLeague situation. I guess the question is would the North Premier sit under the HFL or would the HFL form a new intermediate division? What would the licencing requirements for this division be in terms of facilities and youth set-up. Some North grounds would not take too much to bring them up to entry licence, but the majority in the North are fenced off public parks and this gets even worse in the NCL...

As for league numbers, HibeeJibee is right in pointing out the issue with more games - the season is already being cut short to allow the play-offs and there are a significant number of mid week matches early this season - impacting on the cups too. I can't see more than the current 34 being workable, so a 10/10 is probably out. 16/16...? 30 league games is probably a sensible number. Who would take the lead? Who would step up?

Will both Cove + Fort definetely get their licences?

From what I hear, Fort are likely to and Cove are making 'arrangements' with a licenced team if when they can't build their new stadium before next season. Not sure who, Banks o'Dee would probably be the most sensible, but I suppose Locos/Formartine not out of the question. I assuming it's not going to be Pittodrie (or Glebe Park...)

Given the hassles Bridge of Don Thistle had when Aberdeen University entered the North Region recently, a groundshare with Banks o' Dee would run against the rules and need special approval from the membership. That's a NRSJFA thing not a general SJFA one so doesn't apply with Maryhill and Broomhill SC.

Think BoD's manager gatecrahed Cove's training and challenged their chairman to a square go or something along those lines in the aftermath of the vote. No easy answers I suspect. How long could an HL club cope with a groundshare 20 or 30 miles away from their own patch. Probably only two or three seasons if there is nobody pumping money in.

There was a hoo-ha between managers shortly after the election, with players dragging them apart and all kinds of verbals being slung about the place. BoD owe Cove nothing and probably wouldn't consider involving themselves with the SHFL unless they found themselves being promoted out of the juniors.

The SHFL places they could play - Formartine (notorious for postponements); Inverurie (long way away); Turriff (both) - are all so unlikely as to kill the idea stone dead already. SPFL grounds - Pittodrie (lol); Glebe Park/Gayfield/Links Park (likely to cause much sulking amongst SHFL sides) - are out.

If Cove were still decent they might get away with it. As a mid-table side, you'd imagine interest would wane fast.

In the Netherlands, they had a 2 tier league set up up until 2009. They allowed a third tier to be added with 1 promotion / relegation place between tiers 2 and 3.

Tier 3 is split into 2 leagues, as this league is a mixture of part time and amateur teams. You could argue that we have a similar setup in Scotland with the Lowland and Highland leagues. Almost all the teams are part time tho.

If a team wishes to gain promotion to the Dutch 2nd Tier, they have to apply before the half way point in that current season. But even if a club that has applied wins the league, they are not obliged to take the promotion place. With 2 leagues, they can simply give the promotion slot to the winner of the other league rather than have a play off.

A similar thing could happen in Scotland. If a Highland/League team win their respective league and turn down the promotion, the other Highland/Lowland league winner can try earn promotion to the SPFL4. Yes there could be a situation where both clubs turn down promotion. But then no team gets promoted unless there is an agreement to pass the play off spot to the next best teams or no teams at all.

There was a hoo-ha between managers shortly after the election, with players dragging them apart and all kinds of verbals being slung about the place. BoD owe Cove nothing and probably wouldn't consider involving themselves with the SHFL unless they found themselves being promoted out of the juniors.

The SHFL places they could play - Formartine (notorious for postponements); Inverurie (long way away); Turriff (both) - are all so unlikely as to kill the idea stone dead already. SPFL grounds - Pittodrie (lol); Glebe Park/Gayfield/Links Park (likely to cause much sulking amongst SHFL sides) - are out.

If Cove were still decent they might get away with it. As a mid-table side, you'd imagine interest would wane fast.

What would stop Cove just using the main stand at Pittodrie?

How long could an HL club cope with a groundshare 20 or 30 miles away from their own patch.

ICT's home games >100 miles away at Pittodrie comes straight to mind. Different level of finance and support base of course though.

Other than Wick, Brora and Fort William, any HL side having to ground share at one of Borough Briggs or Balmoor wouldn't be too ridiculous at this level imo).

That said, if they were forced to get promoted and use of of those, home attendances could feasibly plummet dramatically and leave them right in the s*** financially for the season with the wages etc still to pay.

ICT's home games >100 miles away at Pittodrie comes straight to mind. Different level of finance and support base of course though.

Other than Wick, Brora and Fort William, any HL side having to ground share at one of Borough Briggs or Balmoor wouldn't be too ridiculous at this level imo).

That said, if they were forced to get promoted and use of of those, home attendances could feasibly plummet dramatically and leave them right in the s*** financially for the season with the wages etc still to pay.

Can't see anybody bothering to ground share that far away in order to get promoted. The cost of traveling/reduced income is bound to cost more than floodlight upgrade.

In order to stay in the highland league it maybe necessary tho. It would be a struggle tho and probably the very last option.

All the HFL grounds save Cove and Fort William are currently licenced, so wouldn't necessarily have to share at Elgin or Peterhead. I agree after the whole "you're too much of a threat to us" scenario, that Cove are unlikely to share at BOD...

I think this is the best bet, if the Juniors are up for it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z97plhoYgAe0v8iDHW9KoILxTF1rNZeqHQ9kPP_C51Q/edit?usp=sharing

Sheet Two is the one to look at

Makes sense at first look. Ideally over time amateurs and non-super league juniors would get added on.

Edit- similarly to my complaint about the way EoS and SoS leagues have been added bellow the LL any addition tiers( tier 7 and bellow) should be created through open application, they should also have some form of licensing applied to them. Not necessarily entry level but something that would leave clubs in a position to attain the requirements for the league above.

Makes sense at first look. Ideally over time amateurs and non-super league juniors would get added on.

Edit- similarly to my complaint about the way EoS and SoS leagues have been added bellow the LL any addition tiers( tier 7 and bellow) should be created through open application, they should also have some form of licensing applied to them. Not necessarily entry level but something that would leave clubs in a position to attain the requirements for the league above.

I totally agree with you, I am sure that automatic entry to the Scots Cup will help these teams buy their needed upgrades

• 9 months later...

Archived