Highland League restructuring

Cyclizine

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only other teams who could enter are from the North Caledonian League, who only play about 12 games a year and who, I understand, have no interest in joining the pyramid, and the Juniors who have also resisted moves to install a pyramid.

The Lowland League has relegation because there are more teams there... they can go to the East of Scotland or the South of Scotland League. There is no relegation from these leagues as, again, the Juniors have not opted to join the pyramid.

I think the North Juniors need to press for this. The North Juniors seem to have a different relationship with Senior football than their Lowlands counterparts, with quite a few having joined the highland League recently. It wouldn't be difficult to set up a HL 2, made up of the 2-4 HL clubs and North Juniors

14 hours ago, thekorean said:

How is this fair?

How's it not fair? There are no senior leagues in the Highland League area willing to join the pyramid, therefore no relegation. There is no relegation from the bottom tiers of the SoS and EoS leagues either, as there are no senior leagues to go to.

The issue is as well is how many non-HL northern clubs could go into the HL at this very moment.  Banks O'Dee could do it and I would assume Culter but that would be about it.  Another club often sighted as a potentially member is Golspie Sutherland but they don't have the appropriate floodlights and can't upgrade them due to the proximity of local housing (apparently).

I guess some of the Tayside clubs could join, such as Lochee United but there's never really been any talk of it from what I can remember.  There was talk as well that had Montrose been relegated the other year, they had plans to go junior.

20 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The only other teams who could enter are from the North Caledonian League, who only play about 12 games a year and who, I understand, have no interest in joining the pyramid, and the Juniors who have also resisted moves to install a pyramid.

There is no reason why there can't be Promotion/Relegation between the Super League and the Highland League. There are two regional leagues below the Super League so the bottom end of the pyramid is sorted, if you just tell the North Caledonian League to f**k off unless they have a reasonable suggestion. There are teams in the Super League ready and enthusiastic about the prospect of promotion, I think it's the Highland League protecting their own. Fort William didn't have floodlights for three years (ish) after joining the HL, and managed, God knows how. Teams like Inverness City already play the majority of their away games in Aberdeenshire, so travel issues would actually be lessened by promotion. Bit of a mute point until they get a new ground sorted admittedly, and improve results, but a ground share with Clach looks on the cards.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

How's it not fair? There are no senior leagues in the Highland League area willing to join the pyramid, therefore no relegation. There is no relegation from the bottom tiers of the SoS and EoS leagues either, as there are no senior leagues to go to.

Teams escaping potential relegation based on geography seems unfair. If they can't get relegated they should not be allowed to get promoted.

9 hours ago, thekorean said:

Teams escaping potential relegation based on geography seems unfair. If they can't get relegated they should not be allowed to get promoted.

So teams in the bottom league(s) of the pyramid shouldn't get promoted to the league above as there is no league below the one they are in to be relegated to!

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So teams in the bottom league(s) of the pyramid shouldn't get promoted to the league above as there is no league below the one they are in to be relegated to!

lol I mean if Highland League teams can't get relegated then neither should Lowland League teams.

2 minutes ago, thekorean said:

lol I mean if Highland League teams can't get relegated then neither should Lowland League teams.

There is a senior structure, which is part of the pyramid, below the LL, but there is no senior structure below the HL willing to be part of the pyramid, so tough tittie on the bottom team, or even two teams, in the LL.

If and when the North Caledonian League/North Juniors get on board the pyramid, relegation from the HL will become a fact.

On 4/5/2017 at 20:46, welshbairn said:

There is no reason why there can't be Promotion/Relegation between the Super League and the Highland League. 

Other than the fact the SHFL is part of the senior set-up and completely unrelated to the juniors. 

Sure, if the north region juniors were willing to go all in with the SHFL and form a proper northern pyramid with a view to enhancing the senior product, fine, but that's not going to happen. Those in charge of the SHFL will leave the league as it is until it's got more than 20 teams in it. You can forget any kind of relegation in the meantime.

The SHFL has bigger issues than relegation to deal with. It's been mismanaged something chronic in recent years and is very much the poor man when compared to the Lowland League, a situation not helped by the southerners taking the pyramid set-up seriously while we just pretend to. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Other than the SHFL is part of the senior set-up and completely unrelated to the juniors. 

Sure, if the north region juniors were willing to go all in with the SHFL and form a proper northern pyramid with a view to enhancing the senior product, fine, but that's not going to happen. Those in charge of the SHFL will leave the league as it is until it's got more than 20 teams in it. You can forget any kind of relegation in the meantime.

The SHFL has bigger issues than relegation to deal with. It's been mismanaged something chronic in recent years and is very much the poor man when compared to the Lowland League, a situation not helped by the southerners taking the pyramid set-up seriously while we just pretend to. 

So are the NRJFA resisting it, or just the HL? Come to think of it I haven't heard of anyone pushing it so it's probably not a thing at all. Structurally the Juniors to HL pyramid is far easier to fix than the LL/Juniors situation, and I'm not even sure why the North Caledonian farce is even being considered as relevant. Let the winner join the Super League if they want.

No one's interested. The teams at the top of the SHFL aren't interested in the pyramid, and we need to fix that before we start tooling around at the bottom. 

The north junior teams are too flaky financially to go into the SHFL. Most don't want to travel outside of Aberdeen if they can help it, never mind get involved with travelling to Grantown and Inverness and Wick on a regular basis. The moaning that has followed Inverness about since their arrival is proof of that. BOD are set up to go, but the rest all live out of someone's pocket.

8 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

No one's interested. The teams at the top of the SHFL aren't interested in the pyramid, and we need to fix that before we start tooling around at the bottom. 

The north junior teams are too flaky financially to go into the SHFL. Most don't want to travel outside of Aberdeen if they can help it, never mind get involved with travelling to Grantown and Inverness and Wick on a regular basis. The moaning that has followed Inverness about since their arrival is proof of that. BOD are set up to go, but the rest all live out of someone's pocket.

Simply put, I don't see anywhere near enough teams with interest and/or resources to create a pyramid structure linked with the Highland League.

On 2017/04/07 at 00:57, Jimmy Shaker said:

...but the rest all live out of someone's pocket.

Which makes them different from the likes of Brora and Formartine? Formartine used to be to the North juniors what Fort William are in the present day to the HL before they got a sugar daddy. Think what people are arguing is that the pathway for a club to get licensed and move up into the HL should be there even if most seasons the north superleague champion would have no license and there would be no promoton or relegation. The biggest obstacle to anything happening is that the club most likely to move down into the north superleague would be Fort William and that scenario would be about as welcome as a piranha in a swimming pool for Aberdeen area junior clubs, so don't think it's anything like as simple as bolting on the existing north juniors sructure to the bottom of the HL. 

It doesn't make them any different, but the SHFL doesn't need more works teams. It made the wrong choice with Formartine and has to live with it for now.

Like I said, we've bigger problems than a pyramid below us.

17 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Which makes them different from the likes of Brora and Formartine? Formartine used to be to the North juniors what Fort William are in the present day to the HL before they got a sugar daddy. Think what people are arguing is that the pathway for a club to get licensed and move up into the HL should be there even if most seasons the north superleague champion would have no license and there would be no promoton or relegation. The biggest obstacle to anything happening is that the club most likely to move down into the north superleague would be Fort William and that scenario would be about as welcome as a piranha in a swimming pool for Aberdeen area junior clubs, so don't think it's anything like as simple as bolting on the existing north juniors sructure to the bottom of the HL. 

Now that's exaggerating (by quite a distance) to make a point. :lol:

Go back to the 1980s (which was when I was actively checking out the Green Final of a Saturday evening in the absence of websites like livescore.com) and them, Maud and Cuminestown were the perennial also rans in the North juniors. The point I was making is that it's not unreasonable to suggest given that example from the past that if there was a pyramid in place that over time clubs that few take seriously at the moment could move up to the HL.

Archived