Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

The Staircase - I haven't seen the earlier documentary so this Sky Atlantic series feels fresh to me knowing nothing about the true life story. It stars Colin Firth as author Michael Peterson who is tried for murder when his wife, played by Toni Collette, is found dead at the bottom of their stairs. Three episodes in really enjopying it once I got used to the continuous time swaps between present and lead up to incident and lead up to trial. Also interesting that you see the French film makers making the documentary within the show and it was great to hear Warren Zevon closing the 3rd episode. 

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Great programme. Hugh Laurie sent in an audition tape while he was filming the remake of Flight of the Phoenix. The show creator didn't realise he wasn't a real American.

Aye, there's a copy of the video on one of the DVDs, filmed in the wee hotel room he was staying in. He got the character down immediately.

Way before House started, I remember seeing Stephen Fry say that he thought Hugh Laurie was one of the best actors that he knew, and thought "really? Prince George?"  :lol:

It's something of a cliché now, but comedy actors seem to transfer to serious drama better than vice versa.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, there's a copy of the video on one of the DVDs, filmed in the wee hotel room he was staying in. He got the character down immediately.

Way before House started, I remember seeing Stephen Fry say that he thought Hugh Laurie was one of the best actors that he knew, and thought "really? Prince George?"  :lol:

It's something of a cliché now, but comedy actors seem to transfer to serious drama better than vice versa.

He was fantastic in The Night Manager too. 

I've got into Scotland's Home of the Year recently and I do enjoy watching it. It does sometimes annoy me how high they tend to set the scoring and the amount of nines and tens that get given by the judges; if they give your home a seven, which on the surface of it seems like quite a respectable score, they are basically comparing it to a bombsite. 

It also makes me think about how utterly clueless I would be as a judge on the show. "That's nice," tends to be about the sum of my analysis whenever a new room is shown. 

Just had a BBC documentary on in the background about the Super League failure and they have the donny in charge of the English leagues talking about the lack of competitiveness in the proposals that would lead to teams that might not have reached the lofty heights of fourth in their top league competing in Europe.... 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to have a go at the Gabriel Byrne-starring War of the Worlds series that was made by French TV a few years back.

Tapped out after four episodes, and I was being generous. Somebody clearly saw the popularity of The Walking Dead and figured they could do something similar with a freely-available big-name title. It's got virtually nothing to do with the original story, looked cheap as chips, and there was still no sign of an alien after four hours, just various groups of quite tedious people looking shocked and having mind-numbing conversations.

I didn't think anyone could out-crap the BBC's attempt from roughly the same time, but they might just have managed it.

Stupidly, I decided to give episode 5 of that War of the Worlds thing a go. Seriously, there should be an award for shows where the least happens - this would win, easily. Highlight of this episode was a sex scene where two characters - young and supposedly in the first flush of attraction - had the most indifferent shag this side of a decades-old marriage. Thankfully several other characters pointed out that they were into each other in the run up, or I'd never have known.

I'm tempted to force myself to watch the last three episodes just to see if any aliens ever show up. I've a feeling it'll end with all the different groups of characters finally meeting up, shrugging at each other, and deciding to lie down and wait for the shitey robot dogs to poke them to death out of boredom.

On 10/05/2022 at 00:39, DrewDon said:

I've got into Scotland's Home of the Year recently and I do enjoy watching it. It does sometimes annoy me how high they tend to set the scoring and the amount of nines and tens that get given by the judges; if they give your home a seven, which on the surface of it seems like quite a respectable score, they are basically comparing it to a bombsite. 

It also makes me think about how utterly clueless I would be as a judge on the show. "That's nice," tends to be about the sum of my analysis whenever a new room is shown. 

Sometimes they annoy the tits out me though, instead of set parameters to score a house on its essentially their likes or dislikes, which is fair enough, but then next week what they liked last week they dont really like this week lol

Pernickety b*****ds they are,

Some of the houses on it are absolute belters, 

Sometimes they annoy the tits out me though, instead of set parameters to score a house on its essentially their likes or dislikes, which is fair enough, but then next week what they liked last week they dont really like this week lol
Don't the three presenters annoy the tits out of you? They make my fucking skin crawl with their banal shite comments especially the annoying bint with her put on false posho accent.

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
16 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Don't the three presenters annoy the tits out of you? They make my fucking skin crawl with their banal shite comments especially the annoying bint with her put on false posho accent.

Aye, the fake forced laugh between them when a shitty joke has been cracked lol, boy in my work is at uni and the guy from the show is his lecturer, i keep telling him to tell him to fucking crack the other two one episode, be a belter of a show lol

Scotlands Home of The Year winds me up way more that a TV show like that should! I love the nosey round people's house but the 3 judges just make me want to poke my eyes out! 

You can always tell which one they will pick, any one that has wood panelling and period features! There is no variety as they never like anything modern! 

6 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

Scotlands Home of The Year winds me up way more that a TV show like that should! I love the nosey round people's house but the 3 judges just make me want to poke my eyes out! 

You can always tell which one they will pick, any one that has wood panelling and period features! There is no variety as they never like anything modern! 

I actually quite like it tbf. 

Working my way through a collection of old Knightmare episodes.

I'd forgotten just how thick and/or annoying some of the kids were. Teams of three having to be told what to say multiple times, or walked through the spelling of tricky words like OPEN.

Edit: I'd forgotten that I found the Catacombite a bit freaky when I was wee  :P

Edited by BFTD