welshbairn

Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

Stewart Copeland unsurprisingly ruining “Adventures in Music” on BBC Four through his smugness and inability to consider an opposing point of view. 
A real shame as the concept of the programme seemed promising. 

Julia Bradbury swilling Ouzo and Raki and flirting with Greek men on STV on Friday evenings is alright.

On 09/01/2020 at 06:51, Salvo Montalbano said:

I watched an episode of Colombo at the weekend. I had forgotten how good it is, particularly Falk but also the unusual nature of the crimes. Is it available via any of the normal streaming services?

Iirc he was quite aggressive in the pilot episode, then changed to become the fantastic Columbo we all know and love now. I don't think it would've been a success had he not done so, wasn't very likeable when he was bullying and shouting at a woman to get an answer to his question, the softer approach where he just wears them down with persistence, while starting off looking like a  bumbling annoying fool, right up to the point where the murderer realizes Columbo has him bang to rights is much better.

Iirc he was quite aggressive in the pilot episode, then changed to become the fantastic Columbo we all know and love now. I don't think it would've been a success had he not done so, wasn't very likeable when he was bullying and shouting at a woman to get an answer to his question, the softer approach where he just wears them down with persistence, while starting off looking like a  bumbling annoying fool, right up to the point where the murderer realizes Columbo has him bang to rights is much better.
Yip I remember that. I posted something on the actual Columbo thread about that and someone said he had never shouted. It was that long since I saw it that I started to doubt myself! Glad someone else remembers

I agree. The soft approach is the whole point of the show IMO. If he was aggressive he wouldn't come across as the perceived bumbling idiot.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yip I remember that. I posted something on the actual Columbo thread about that and someone said he had never shouted. It was that long since I saw it that I started to doubt myself! Glad someone else remembers emoji38.png

I agree. The soft approach is the whole point of the show IMO. If he was aggressive he wouldn't come across as the perceived bumbling idiot.

I was quite shocked when I saw that episode again in a repeat, after being used to seeing his subtle and  cunning way of catching the murderer, letting them believe they were so much smarter than him that they didn't have anything to worry about. Thankfully they realized very quickly it was the wrong approach. 

I was quite shocked when I saw that episode again in a repeat, after being used to seeing his subtle and  cunning way of catching the murderer, letting them believe they were so much smarter than him that they didn't have anything to worry about. Thankfully they realized very quickly it was the wrong approach. 
Even his hair and suit doesn't feel right in that episode. You need the raincoat and scruffy hair

Even his hair and suit doesn't feel right in that episode. You need the raincoat and scruffy hair
I quite like that episode as a departure from his usual modus operandi. He takes no shite there, even fakes a suicide to get the boy to confess.

The Just-Eat adverts:-

Couple: "I fancy a takeaway"

Annoying cow: " Did somebody say Just-Eeeeeat?"

No. They never said "Just-Eeeeeat", they said they wanted a takeaway. Arsehole.

Ant and Dec.

Ant and fucking Dec.

The Thrush Brothers (they're a pair of irritating c***s).

What does it say about the television viewing public that these two are so popular?

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Just-Eat adverts:-

Couple: "I fancy a takeaway"

Annoying cow: " Did somebody say Just-Eeeeeat?"

No. They never said "Just-Eeeeeat", they said they wanted a takeaway. Arsehole.

:thumsup2

Exactly, naebody said 'just eat'.

Dunno if this has been said, too lazy to read back through this thread, those bloody TUI ads, away and get them tae f**k, even with the sound turned down they're annoying, cause you can see that stupid patting thing they do with their hands.

Oh and put U in the middle, what does that even mean, would be better if they put you first, no in the fucking middle. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

44 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

:thumsup2

Exactly, naebody said 'just eat'.

Dunno if this has been said, too lazy to read back through this thread, those bloody TUI ads, away and get them tae f**k, even with the sound turned down they're annoying, cause you can see that stupid patting thing they do with their hands.

Oh and put U in the middle, what does that even mean, would be better if they put you first, no in the fucking middle. 

I think they're alluding to the fact that you're at the centre of everything they do.

Certainly, moving money from your bank account to theirs is.

The Mallorca Files can't quite match the brilliance and sadly cut short Eldorado, but runs it close.

I recently watched all of Him and Her on I player, it was a good watch. It starts off as pretty harmless fun between 20 somethings who live like tramps but as it goes on it becomes pretty excruciating at points with some of the characters being properly sinister and horrible. Was a strange mix of emotions watching it tbh.

I recently watched all of Him and Her on I player, it was a good watch. It starts off as pretty harmless fun between 20 somethings who live like tramps but as it goes on it becomes pretty excruciating at points with some of the characters being properly sinister and horrible. Was a strange mix of emotions watching it tbh.

Laura is possibly one of the most horrible sitcom characters ever. She has absolutely no redeeming qualities*. Though at The Wedding she takes it to a new level. The scene with her and the woman marrying them is extremely uncomfortable. Paul is at least comical. In the end they at least get what they both deserved.

It's really easy viewing with relaxed humour throughout. They are a couple of slobs but are likeable characters. Dan adds another weird comedy element.

It has a lot of The Office's awkward/uncomfortable moments so I don't imagine it's for everyone but it's a show I really love.

I don’t know about easy or relaxed viewing throughout and particularly not towards the end. Laura goes from being a pretty dim but quite funny bimbo to a verified domestic and psychological abuser. Also the way in which Steve is treated by the father and the way in which he is alienated at the wedding despite being best man is very uncomfortable viewing as well. A real mixed bag for me.