Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 13/04/2024 at 00:28, velo army said:

Fraser stars as a Professor of Forensics and the head of SIFA (Scottish Institute of Forensic Science and Anatomy.......so SIFSA, Shirley!!....never mind) and recently hired a new lab tech who has history with Dundee and used to live there (but has moved from Manchester to work there). It turns out that the dummy case she is asked to work on replicates her mother's murder from years ago. It's a really good plot idea, and I would normally be right into pursuing it......but the acting is rubbish as is the script. There's a couple of bits where my suspension of disbelief was massively tested. First of all it seems that Fraser's entire department is staffed by women, which I'm sure is laudable if the aim of a show is to indulge in alternative realities, but after watching several movies and series where the "diversity" of the cast was more important than creating a believable world and engaging story I couldn't help but feeling this was some kind of cathartic fantasy from McDermid. It took me out of the story a bit as it didn't feel like a real work place. The one guy in the office was such a cartoonishly effete gay guy too that it rendered the whole place a bit ridiculous. Oh, and the script sounded like it was written by a 10 year old.

The whole court case scenario had me screaming at the TV. Surely the main prosecution witness working along side the murder victim's daughter wouldn't be allowed to happen in reality? The not proven verdict wasn't supported in any way by the script - the 'evidence' presented shouted 100% guilty.

25 minutes ago, Northboy said:

The whole court case scenario had me screaming at the TV. Surely the main prosecution witness working along side the murder victim's daughter wouldn't be allowed to happen in reality? The not proven verdict wasn't supported in any way by the script - the 'evidence' presented shouted 100% guilty.

I didn't last quite so long. I didn't get past the rubbish script and very poorly drawn characters. Having Laura Fraser as the star carrying your show is a loser of an idea given how poor an actress she is, and she is still the best actor in that. 

On 13/04/2024 at 20:02, scottsdad said:

Guess the episode!

Original series. Kirk is arguing with a computer.

Is it the one where the computer is given control of the Enterprise and subsequently starts attacking other Federation ships and outposts ?

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Is it the one where the computer is given control of the Enterprise and subsequently starts attacking other Federation ships and outposts ?

That is The Ultimate Computer, where Kirk argues with a different computer.

I was watching Return of the Archons.

I've been watching The Dropout on iplayer. It's been pretty decent with a very good cast and a good performance from Amanda Seyfried (off topic, but I didn't realise how tiny she is, which is why I thought she was one of the Fanning lassies until I checked), and I thought it was a Macbeth type story as a young CEO who wants to be a billionaire more than anything and whose ambition causes her to act increasingly dreadfully.

I'm realising with trepidation that the series wants me to sympathise and even root for this entitled psychopath. They keep playing the identitarian card and telling me that the reason the men in this world won't take her seriously is because she is a woman. It's set in the early 2000's so I would accept this is absolutely true, but I know at this stage she is lying about her product (doing so will risk thousands and potentially millions of lives) and she has invented absolutely nothing, and dropped out of college after freshman year, so there are genuine material reasons for the scepticism. The series mentions often her hero worship of Steve Jobs, but Jobs (also one for taking credit for a'body's work) didn't just drop out and become a CEO (like our protagonist) he actually worked, built and gambled to get to where he got. 

I'll keep it up, but at the moment this looks like a villain's journey masquerading as a hero's one.

15 hours ago, velo army said:

I've been watching The Dropout on iplayer. It's been pretty decent with a very good cast and a good performance from Amanda Seyfried (off topic, but I didn't realise how tiny she is, which is why I thought she was one of the Fanning lassies until I checked), and I thought it was a Macbeth type story as a young CEO who wants to be a billionaire more than anything and whose ambition causes her to act increasingly dreadfully.

I'm realising with trepidation that the series wants me to sympathise and even root for this entitled psychopath. They keep playing the identitarian card and telling me that the reason the men in this world won't take her seriously is because she is a woman. It's set in the early 2000's so I would accept this is absolutely true, but I know at this stage she is lying about her product (doing so will risk thousands and potentially millions of lives) and she has invented absolutely nothing, and dropped out of college after freshman year, so there are genuine material reasons for the scepticism. The series mentions often her hero worship of Steve Jobs, but Jobs (also one for taking credit for a'body's work) didn't just drop out and become a CEO (like our protagonist) he actually worked, built and gambled to get to where he got. 

I'll keep it up, but at the moment this looks like a villain's journey masquerading as a hero's one.

I've watched a couple of documentaries about Theranos and I have absolutely no sympathy for the real Elizabeth Holmes, who has the eyes and look of a psychopath.

Accused: Innocent or Guilty and Accused:Insanity or Murder have moved to channel 5.

Brilliant shows. Imagine 24 hours in police custody but focusing on the trial and the run up to it.

Spoiler

Poor woman found guilty of murdering her kid when she wasn't even at home.

Guy that killed his wife was utterly sane but got off scot free.

Enjoyed Race Across The World last night, really fancy visiting Korea.

Stephen is going to get his bell rung at some point if he keeps trying to push his way to the front of queues, they won’t be giving a f**k that he’s in a race.

Thanks to the VPN, Bottom: Exposed on Gold. A couple of hours of Ade Edmonson talking about the show and Rik and it's just bloody delightful and lovely and sad.

Watching Adam Richman Eats Britain, and he was in a place in Manchester that served waffles. 

The chef said he was a vegan, only used vegan ingredients like soy butter in making the waffles. Made them, then put them on the plate. 

"What goes on now?" asked Richman.

"Fried chicken"

The vegan chef then loaded the plate with about 6 chicken drumsticks, all sitting right on top of the waffles.

Finished Blue Lights, didn’t start off particularly well but the ending was good which is kinda the opposite to how the 1st season went. Some of the accents seemed a bit off but that’s to be expected, they’ve renewed it for another 2 seasons as well. 

Spoiler

Annie punching that fud Canning was the most satisfying TV moments in years. He was an absolute c**t. 

Edited by The Golden God

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

Documentary about Gary Glitter last night, another of those that makes you ask how the f**k did nobody spot it at the time?

Despite that, what I took from the programme is, sadly, that Sally James hasn't aged well.

a lot of it is we now know what he was like so the stuff is a lot more obvious 

7 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Reveal hidden contents

Annie punching that fud Canning was the most satisfying TV moments in years. He was an absolute c**t. 

Spoiler

It was a great moment  the dude deserved it