Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

(Sorry for the pedantry, I'm rather sad when it comes to tv shows I love given I binge them regularly). 

Never apologise for pedantry. It's another word for 'being right'.

On 28/02/2023 at 15:50, DrewDon said:

I binged through both series of Early Doors on iPlayer over the last week. Good stuff. 

This isn't the best quality of video, but this scene stood out as particularly funny:

Just completed both series on the iplayer.  Early Doors is an absolute gem of a comedy.  I loved it first time round but for some reason found it even better a good 15 years later.

There are only about ten characters and all are brilliant.  My favourites are the two coppers who whilst being incredibly bent (dodgy £10 notes etc) are hillarious.

I have this up with Peep Show as my favourite of all time.

Incidentally, the above clip is wonderful 

23 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just completed both series on the iplayer.  Early Doors is an absolute gem of a comedy.  I loved it first time round but for some reason found it even better a good 15 years later.

There are only about ten characters and all are brilliant.  My favourites are the two coppers who whilst being incredibly bent (dodgy £10 notes etc) are hillarious.

Binged it numerous times now as I said above. Yet I'm still finding wee bits that I've missed as I tend to focus on background characters/reactions once I know what the main character is saying off by heart. Watched one the other night and heard a quiet belter from Tommy I had never heard before - the pub breaks into song again and Tommy is slightly in the background looking raging and I caught "Bloody hell, singing again!". Absolutely brilliant wee bit. It's such a gem of a show. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Binged it numerous times now as I said above. Yet I'm still finding wee bits that I've missed as I tend to focus on background characters/reactions once I know what the main character is saying off by heart. Watched one the other night and heard a quiet belter from Tommy I had never heard before - the pub breaks into song again and Tommy is slightly in the background looking raging and I caught "Bloody hell, singing again!". Absolutely brilliant wee bit. It's such a gem of a show. 

First episode of the second series they are talking about Melanies boyfriend in the first series - Liam played by James McAvoy.  They are slagging him off for dumping her with out warning......."Shameless !!"...an obvious reference to McAvoy pissing off to appear in Shameless and doing so without much notice.

I mentioned earlier I initially watched it about 15 years ago....wow it was on in 2003 and 2004....first episode a couple months shy of twenty years ago.  It is odd seeing virtually all characters smoke in a pub right enough.  

6 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

My favourites are the two workshy cops in the back shop getting pished and on the loud hailer. Crime doesn't solve itself😂

5 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

First episode of the second series they are talking about Melanies boyfriend in the first series - Liam played by James McAvoy.  They are slagging him off for dumping her with out warning......."Shameless !!"...an obvious reference to McAvoy pissing off to appear in Shameless and doing so without much notice.

I mentioned earlier I initially watched it about 15 years ago....wow it was on in 2003 and 2004....first episode a couple months shy of twenty years ago.  It is odd seeing virtually all characters smoke in a pub right enough.  

The prices are more scary! Think it was £1.54 for a pint of bitter in the first episode. £4.20 for a bitter and a Guinness. Mental. 

18 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

My favourites are the two workshy cops in the back shop getting pished and on the loud hailer. Crime doesn't solve itself😂

Crack itself man, crack itself! :lol:

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Someone at Channel 4 will be getting sacked the mora. Turned on to Film4 and A Room with a View is on (never seen it). 3 guys running around with their tadgers out. 

Couldn't you have asked them to leave the room so you could watch the film in peace?

On 19/02/2023 at 22:13, Mark Connolly said:

The Gold

Only watched the first two episodes, but it's absolutely magnificent. Dramatisation of the Brinks-Mat gold robbery

On 27/02/2023 at 18:25, Derry Alli said:

Watched "The Gold" over the weekend on iplayer. 6 x 1hr episodes around the Brinks Mat robbery and subsequent actions of those involved.

Quite an enjoyable watch, I'd recommend it.

I've watched this over the past few days - I enjoyed it, it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.  I always think British gangster films go a bit into self-parody when it's about cockney geezers but this one didn't and was really well acted and written - by a Scottish guy I think.  Great soundtrack as well.

I did have a couple of reservations about it

The story of the robbery and subsequent cover up is really fascinating, I don't think it needed a major character made up (the lawyer played by Dominic Cooper) and added into it.  I understand why they created the detectives, in a drama you are going to need characters to focus on and real life major police investigations are cumulative efforts not individual ones.  So I think creating them was fair but Cooper was a bit much of an insert.

There was loads of social/political commentary about class and England and the establishment etc. and it was clear that the Cooper character was created to allow these points to be made.  I think every show about the UK in the 1980s does this now, it's almost ret-conned in.  I'm not sure it really fits and making Kenneth Noye and some sort of class warrior is a bit much.  He was and is a pretty brutal criminal.

The show also didn't make that clear how many people have been murdered over the gold - it showed the taxi driver Brian Perry being killed but a few others have been over the years, including John Palmer and Gordon Parry.

Overall a really good show.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, I'm sure Dundee United got a short mention in it.

Yeah, one of the builder for Palmer in Spain was wearing a United top.

Spoiler

I loved the court scene where he pulled them all out to the Manor in the middle of the night. I hope that was a true reenactment of what happened.

On 06/03/2023 at 17:04, ICTChris said:

Yeah, I'm sure Dundee United got a short mention in it.

References I saw included someone called Sturrock, United shirt on a guy on building site and United vs Barcelona on tv/radio in the police station. 😂 

The Line

Four part documentary about Eddie Gallagher, SEAL team leader, who was accused of war crimes including killing an injured 16 year old ISIS suspect in Iraq. Interviews with most of the main players including Gallagher himself with plenty of helmet cam footage.

On 04/03/2023 at 13:32, 19QOS19 said:

You're bang on about discovering things on repeated watch - I've recently introduced the missus to the joy of the show and just noticed that sometimes when Phil & Nige leave the pub there's a call coming through on their radio, and the NATO phonetic call signs spell out swear words. I only picked it up when one of the call-signs went on a bit, and when I played it back I heard Alpha Romeo Sierra Echo Hotel Oscar Lima Echo Sierra. Going back, it started on series one, episode one with Tango Whisky Alpha Tango Sierra. There's one that stops at Foxtrot Uniform Charlie...

I'm easily amused by the little things... 😆