Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

I've heard Alec Guinness described as 'the Star Wars actor' which always makes me a bit killy. Great Expectations, Lavender Hill Mob, Man in the White Suit, Ladykillers, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago, Tinker Tailor, and you call him 'the Star Wars actor'?

Don't forget 'Kind Hearts & Coronets', where Guinness plays 8 different characters. Also 'Tunes of Glory' where he plays a Scots officer with a questionable accent ....!!

Just finished watching "Treason" on Netflix. By that I mean I gave up after 4 or 5 episodes. The cast was mostly good. Charlie Cox and Oona Chaplin are both fantastic, while Ciaran Hinds oozes charisma. The thing starts off well enough with Olga Kurylenko's character poisoning Hinds (head of MI6) in his club. Thrilling start. We see Cox as a loving family man (married to the excellent Chaplin) and the family dynamic is one of the good things about this. The plot has too many moving pieces for the writer to manage and it ended up relying on a whole host of coincidences and stupid character decisions to get going. The woman that plays the CIA quine is terrible too. It's one of the worst performances I've ever seen actually; a baffling piece of casting.

Anyway, it started off well, and Chaplin and Cox make a great and engaging onscreen couple, but it turns to absolute shite pretty quickly.

14 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Don't forget 'Kind Hearts & Coronets', where Guinness plays 8 different characters. Also 'Tunes of Glory' where he plays a Scots officer with a questionable accent ....!!

And return of the Jedi. He’s only a mustafa-style ghost but he’s in it.

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I've heard Alec Guinness described as 'the Star Wars actor' which always makes me a bit killy. Great Expectations, Lavender Hill Mob, Man in the White Suit, Ladykillers, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago, Tinker Tailor, and you call him 'the Star Wars actor'?

He detested his part in Star Wars too from memory. 

6 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Our Man in Havana , Tunes of Glory

On 07/02/2023 at 09:41, Northboy said:

I clicked on Russia 1985-1999 on BBC4 last night. Fascinating stuff about the break up of the Soviet Union through local media an video footage. Only had time for 15 minutes last night but plan to watch more.

I'm a bit of an Adam Curtis fanboy and he looks at the breakdown of Russia in his 2016 film 'Hypernormalisation'.

Refers to Putin's communications guy Surtov and namechecks the Stragatsky brothers amongst others.........................

Nolly on ITVX.

3 parter written by Russell T. Davies and starring Helena Bonham Carter as the iconic Crossroads actor Noelle Gordon. Brilliant piece of telly given that not many will remember Crossroads or Noelle Gordon for that matter.

52 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Nolly on ITVX.

3 parter written by Russell T. Davies and starring Helena Bonham Carter as the iconic Crossroads actor Noelle Gordon. Brilliant piece of telly given that not many will remember Crossroads or Noelle Gordon for that matter.

I remember it - didn't actively watch but my mum did and I was in the room when it was on so picked it up through osmosis. Never realised she was such a diva though.

51 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I remember it - didn't actively watch but my mum did and I was in the room when it was on so picked it up through osmosis. Never realised she was such a diva though.

I like to think that Mrs Mack was the same during the Take the High Road years.

Eating History (Blaze).

The premise is simple. Two guys find/get sent old food and drink, still in the original packaging and unopened. They then open and try it. 

Caught one last night where they had cans of Billy Beer (which I thought only existed in an episode of the Simpsons). Gave the history - it was only made in 1977 and was named after Jimmy Carter's brother. So, two cans of unopened beer from 1977. They opened it, drank it, and the reactions were pretty special. Basically it tasted like yeasty bin juice. 

They tried crackerjacks from 1938 that had dead insects on them, cod liver oil from the 1920s, a 1990s candy bar...for some reason it is an utterly joyous 20-odd minutes of TV.  A wee bit like Pawn Stars in the way they describe the background to the stuff they are about to ingest. Then you see if the stuff is nice or nasty (mostly nasty).