Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 18/01/2023 at 08:06, Bert Raccoon said:

I'm four episodes into The Rig and actually quite enjoying it. Not what I was expecting and it's daft as f**k yet tries to take itself too seriously but still enjoyable 

I have just finished episode 2 and won’t be proceeding. Just absolute nonsense.

I'm a bit slow and having missed it first time around I've been watching Spooks from the start on iPlayer.

Just seen an episode (from 2009) where an explosion at a gas plant leaves the UK short of gas and the Government has to order power cuts. There are high jinks as they try to negotiate a gas deal with a dodgy fictional Central Asian -istan that's actively taking out political opponents in the UK. The deal fails but happily the Americans arrange for the UK to get a good deal on Russian gas. Yay! That'll end well...

No mention at any point of Global Warming. I did wonder at one point if the Home Sec (Robert Glenister) was going to announce, 'We're just going to have to swallow our pride and buy in windpower from the bleedin' Jocks.'

Watched 'The Fire Within', on iPlayer last night.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001d7lc/storyville-the-fire-within

Documentary film and requiem by Werner Herzog about Katia & Maurice Krafft, French scientists / vulcanologists / filmmakers.

Beautiful, tragically sad and well worth 90 mins. of your time.

On 31/12/2022 at 23:42, Arch Stanton said:

Mayflies was tremendous. Wonderful acting from Curran and Jensen and a phenomenal 80s soundtrack from Joy Division, New Order, Cocteau Twins, TJAMC, Shop Assistants, The Fall etc.

No yer usual 80s shite like Curiosity Killed the Cat, Jonny Hates Jazz, Swing Out Sister etc.

Only got round to watching this last night and have to agree on both points, some great acting and a fantastic soundtrack. Thoroughly enjoyed it, heartbreaking but also life affirming in equal measure 

Watched Kindergarten Cop with the kids last night.

At the very end, Arnie is in hospital having been shot in the leg. His arms seem fine even though he was shot somewhere in the upper body. Regardless of his perfectly functional limbs, a nurse is spoon feeding him jelly.

On 24/01/2023 at 17:50, Savage Henry said:

The original TV series of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is on the iPlayer, and it hasn’t aged a bit.  Up there with Boys from the Black Stuff.  

Did it say Ian Bannen's Jim Pridoe visited the mole before going to east European capital ?

Small Spoiler - Picard with hair

The original TV series of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is on the iPlayer, and it hasn’t aged a bit.  Up there with Boys from the Black Stuff.  

Watched that last year when BBC2 showed them all.  Absolutely magnificent TV. 

On 01/02/2023 at 00:10, Florentine_Pogen said:

Watched 'The Fire Within', on iPlayer last night.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001d7lc/storyville-the-fire-within

Documentary film and requiem by Werner Herzog about Katia & Maurice Krafft, French scientists / vulcanologists / filmmakers.

Beautiful, tragically sad and well worth 90 mins. of your time.

Didn’t he do Grizzly Man as well?  Horrific true story.

I finally got around to watching it during the lazy solstice stop and I agree, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Tonight I watched the last two hours of Ken Burns' US and the holocaust on iPlayer.

I would recommend it to each and every viewer that can spare six hours of their time to get an insight into how easy it is for us to take the wrong path.

Or if you want a moment of on your feet defiant courage that might just compromise your composure, one hour and four minutes into the second episode goes a little way to balancing the multitude of grim reflections.

Oh and Henry Ford.

I've heard Alec Guinness described as 'the Star Wars actor' which always makes me a bit killy. Great Expectations, Lavender Hill Mob, Man in the White Suit, Ladykillers, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago, Tinker Tailor, and you call him 'the Star Wars actor'?