Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

Sensationalists: The Bad Girls and Boys of British Art

If, like me, the last few weeks has been a living hell, realising what a dull, backward, conservative shite pit this country can be then this show can restore your faith in your fellow subjects. It’s a three part BBC doc, narrated by Keith Allen, charting the rise of the modern art movement in London through the 1980s into the 90s.

It’s less about the quality of the art (though seeing Damien Hirst’s shark in the gallery is very striking) and more about bright young things putting a rocket up the establishment. 

• 2 weeks later...
Bluey.

Australian kids cartoon about a family of dogs.

Pitched absolutely perfectly for likeability of the characters, life lessons and humour. Fantastic.
Watched a few more with 5 year old grandson yesterday in addition to all previous ones over the last couple of years. Terrific stuff...for the target audience obviously.

Watching what I think could be the worst film ever made, Made in Italy with Liam Neeson and his son doing up a house in Tuscany, with some seriously cringy attempts at romantic interludes and bereavement. It's so shite I have to watch it till the end just to see how bad it gets. Film Four. Liam Neeson should stick to revenge movies and with this tripe he's probably destroyed any hope his son had of an acting career.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Watching what I think could be the worst film ever made, Made in Italy with Liam Neeson and his son doing up a house in Tuscany, with some seriously cringy attempts at romantic interludes and bereavement. It's so shite I have to watch it till the end just to see how bad it gets. Film Four. Liam Neeson should stick to revenge movies and with this tripe he's probably destroyed any hope his son had of an acting career.

He'll never top his appearance in Derry Girls.

Russia 1985-1999. (iPlayer)

Three episodes in so far. Adam Curtis' latest. It's not usual Curtis style- no voice over for starters, and no ridiculously convoluted linking of relatively obscure narratives.

It's a relatively straight look at life in mainly Russia with bits of other Soviet Republics "through the collapse of communism.... And Democracy". 

People more familiar with the history might notice some discrepancies but to me it seems less fast and loose with the facts than some previous efforts. He's covered much of the early episodes about the plan etc in Pandora's box before. I wouldn't watch it if you want to get a clear linear sequence of how events relate to each other. Things just happen which is quite, presumably deliberately, disorienting. 

Been catching up on The Walk In, about the takedown of neo-Nazi terror group National Action. Stephen Graham stars as Michael F Collins, an ex National Front member turned anti fascist campaigner, who helped bring down NA.

It’s interesting in its portrayal of Robbie, the NA member the drama most focuses on. It shows how he could be lead into joining a group like NA and the attraction that they might have to young men. It also starts Tommen Baratheon as a Nazi paedo.

On 17/10/2022 at 16:26, ICTChris said:

Been catching up on The Walk In, about the takedown of neo-Nazi terror group National Action. Stephen Graham stars as Michael F Collins, an ex National Front member turned anti fascist campaigner, who helped bring down NA.

It’s interesting in its portrayal of Robbie, the NA member the drama most focuses on. It shows how he could be lead into joining a group like NA and the attraction that they might have to young men. It also starts Tommen Baratheon as a Nazi paedo.

Really enjoying it so far but I love everything Stephen Graham does

Edited by Bert Raccoon

Speaking of Sky, my channel 102 is BBC2 Wales - at least it was the last time I checked. Most of the time this doesn't matter as the programmes are the same as BBC2 Scotland, but it's irritating. Anybody know how I can fix this?

Dont Hug Me I'm Scared has finally made it's transition from Web series to Channel 4.
Watched all 6 episodes on All4 and like the original, it lives rent free in my head. Was worried how it would translate from 8-12 minute web episodes to a 23 minute format but it works perfectly.
An amazing mixture of creepy, funny, surrealism and wonderful voice acting. It's not for everyone but I just love it!
If you've never seen it, go do the 6 web episodes first. You don't really need to but you'll fully understand a lot of the easter eggs in it if you do.
I saw this advertised and just assumed it was the web shorts had migrated to All 4. I was delighted when I found out it was all new material. I watched the first 2 last night, looking forward to getting through the rest over the weekend. It'll take a few watches to see what the overarching theme is, but the beauty of it is that you notice something new every time you rewatch.

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:
On 02/10/2022 at 13:07, djchapsticks said:
Dont Hug Me I'm Scared has finally made it's transition from Web series to Channel 4.
Watched all 6 episodes on All4 and like the original, it lives rent free in my head. Was worried how it would translate from 8-12 minute web episodes to a 23 minute format but it works perfectly.
An amazing mixture of creepy, funny, surrealism and wonderful voice acting. It's not for everyone but I just love it!
If you've never seen it, go do the 6 web episodes first. You don't really need to but you'll fully understand a lot of the easter eggs in it if you do.

I saw this advertised and just assumed it was the web shorts had migrated to All 4. I was delighted when I found out it was all new material. I watched the first 2 last night, looking forward to getting through the rest over the weekend. It'll take a few watches to see what the overarching theme is, but the beauty of it is that you notice something new every time you rewatch.

Then you won't be disappointed on that front. There's the usual 'what does it really mean' questions and little hidden comments and visuals. I've gone back twice already.

The second episode, Death, had what I thought was some of the most weirdly unsettling voice acting I've heard, there's something just too on the nose and sweet but sinister about the coffin's voice.

Edited by djchapsticks