Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

Mrs C suggested a American TV series on Amazon Prime, that started back in 2016 ‘This is Us’. Into season five now. The story of a Pittsburgh couple bringing up triplets; twins and an adopted brother, left in a bundle on the doorstep of a fire station by his panic stricken natural father after his addicted mother dies of a drug overdose following childbirth.
It isn’t necessarily fast paced (each episode 45 mins), but it’s a easy watching, pleasant slow burn, as the lives of the couple and their children pan out.
Not usually into the archetypal US TV drama series, where everything seems a little too structured and formatted. This has plenty of subtle twists and turns and is well worth a watch.

Just watched The Last Mountain on BBC2. It's a documentary about a family who keep dying off from ever increasingly mad expeditions with the Dad encouraging them on. Hoping the best for the surviving daughter. The Dad is definitely OFTW, emotionally detached but obsessive. Spent 5 years living in a tent while his son slept in the van so the son could learn how to climb the Alps, after his wife died on K2. 

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just watched The Last Mountain on BBC2. It's a documentary about a family who keep dying off from ever increasingly mad expeditions with the Dad encouraging them on. Hoping the best for the surviving daughter. The Dad is definitely OFTW, emotionally detached but obsessive. Spent 5 years living in a tent while his son slept in the van so the son could learn how to climb the Alps, after his wife died on K2. 

At last we know why The Sound of Music II never got made.

On 26/09/2021 at 11:02, Clockwork said:

Mrs C suggested a American TV series on Amazon Prime, that started back in 2016 ‘This is Us’. Into season five now. The story of a Pittsburgh couple bringing up triplets; twins and an adopted brother, left in a bundle on the doorstep of a fire station by his panic stricken natural father after his addicted mother dies of a drug overdose following childbirth.
It isn’t necessarily fast paced (each episode 45 mins), but it’s a easy watching, pleasant slow burn, as the lives of the couple and their children pan out.
Not usually into the archetypal US TV drama series, where everything seems a little too structured and formatted. This has plenty of subtle twists and turns and is well worth a watch.

Oh God no. My Mrs made me watch some of that. So slow it made Mad Men look like Rambo. 

I watched The World At War last year during lockdown and a few others had a similar idea with it being talked about on here at the time. I watched the film Stalingrad recently so decided to re-watch the episode on it to remind me of some of the detail. Quite a few of the episodes left me absolutely speechless and this was one of them.

For some reason I hadn't watched the last episode and watched it earlier this afternoon. The figures are absolutely staggering with 55m dying in WWII (including civilians) - 20m Russians, 15m Chinese and 5m Germans (of which 1.5m died in Russian prison camps). Remembrance Day will be coming up shortly and there will be the usual stuff appearing in the Poppy Thread but for me the whole purpose of Remembrance Day should be for people to remember the dead and recognise the pure folly of war.

If anyone hasn't seen this series (I got it on the Yesterday channel) then I certainly recommend it. It doesn't glorify war, it's not jingoistic, the footage and interviews are incredible and it makes you look at the world in a different way.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I watched The World At War last year during lockdown and a few others had a similar idea with it being talked about on here at the time. I watched the film Stalingrad recently so decided to re-watch the episode on it to remind me of some of the detail. Quite a few of the episodes left me absolutely speechless and this was one of them.

For some reason I hadn't watched the last episode and watched it earlier this afternoon. The figures are absolutely staggering with 55m dying in WWII (including civilians) - 20m Russians, 15m Chinese and 5m Germans (of which 1.5m died in Russian prison camps). Remembrance Day will be coming up shortly and there will be the usual stuff appearing in the Poppy Thread but for me the whole purpose of Remembrance Day should be for people to remember the dead and recognise the pure folly of war.

If anyone hasn't seen this series (I got it on the Yesterday channel) then I certainly recommend it. It doesn't glorify war, it's not jingoistic, the footage and interviews are incredible and it makes you look at the world in a different way.

Watching TWAW is what prompted me to start the best documentary thread. 

Don’t know if anyones mentioned it before but just binged watched Squid Game on Netflix. Korean dubbed into English. Well worth watching, brilliant acting and an ingenious story of greed and desperation mixed into kids games.

Edit : just noticed someone’s put something up on the Netflix thread. I should’ve checked that before I posted but hey ho. It’s brilliant anyway so check it out.

I saw it mentioned on the Netflix thread and it had been recommended by the guy's 6 year old. I see it's a 15 on Netflix and my daughter says her friends found it a bit scary. Can you suggest what age group it would be appropriate for?

It’s certainly not a program for kids, there is a LOT of gore in it. A lot of executions with shots to the head, very graphic.

Saw Mad Men mentioned earlier. The wife has been watching for what seems to have been half her life. I watched one episode the other day and I think about 6 words were said, 8 fags were smoked and f**k all happened.  Now wonder these programmes are on for 150 series.

17 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Have you ever seen 'The Great War'? Similar treatment of the First World War, made in the sixties when the people they interviewed were still relatively young and in their prime. They fought under the impression that the carnage and suffering would put an end to war forever - but then don't they always?

On 09/09/2021 at 19:44, Wee Bully said:

I didn’t expect to like it, but I really enjoyed “The Scotts” - sitcom from the Burniestoun guys. Far more laugh out loud moments than I anticipated.

Can I reiterate this. It’s likely gone under the radar of many given it’s graveyard position of after half ten on a Monday night but well worth a look out on the iplayer. 

But maybe it’s just because I’m a weegie with a similarly dysfunctional family. 

On 27/09/2021 at 16:10, Archie McSquackle said:

Have you seen 'allo 'allo, it's about the French Resistance?

The BBC have basically been advertising this new Bond movie for the past week. Graeme Norton's guests? All cast of this movie. Breakfast having extra long sections on it. I even caught a but of BBB R5L yesterday and the interviewer was talking to a woman who had book for 3 showings the following day. Hard-hitting questions like "How excited are you?"

I pay a license fee for this pish.