Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

27 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

New series? I watched that for the first time last series and was surprised how good it was. 

Not too sure if these latest ones have aired before or not. They’re like a couple of standalone miniseries. Had to admire a policeman asking a boy he’d just nicked if he knew the PIN to his encryptochat phone. Unsurprisingly the lad couldn’t remember it. 

Will check out that trafficking one but need to be in the right headspace for it as it looked pretty grim.

39 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

My question is when the undercover police went in to the brothels to confirm the ladies were offering sex work how did they get back out without causing a mini scene? 

"Made their excuses and left" is how the papers used to phrase it when doing exposés on that sort of thing.

Not that I believed it. If you're sleazy enough to work for the Sun and you're doing a feature on prostitution you're going to get your hole and claim it back on expenses.

33 minutes ago, GordonD said:

"Made their excuses and left" is how the papers used to phrase it when doing exposés on that sort of thing.

Not that I believed it. If you're sleazy enough to work for the Sun and you're doing a feature on prostitution you're going to get your hole and claim it back on expenses.

Aye I was speaking to someone a bit older and they told me about that turn of phrase. I just found it quite odd to even have that in the show considering the scandals of recent years about such practices, they didn't address it though they just skimmed right part that bit of the process. They surely cannae still be shagging them. That would be classed as rape. 

BBC has some new episodes of Forensics. 

Just watching a crazy episode. Some group robbing a weed farm getting chased and shot with crossbows, absolute wild west type of stuff. 

I don't believe the 24 Hours in Police Custody are new. I had seen the stabbings one before only discovered after watching it for 2 hours!

The trafficking one was a strange programme altogether

Don't know how to do spoilers so:

*spoliers*

I thought the sentences were ridiculously low, leader gets 5 years, the accomplice gets community service as does the madame. Not only that the Brazilian end up coming back to the UK to go into sex work again herself! 

Just watched S2 episode 5 of the Forensics show, it was pretty disturbing. 

It was about a case of indecent exposure in a vulnerable old ladies house, it was really weird because they noted that the lady was a paranoid schizophrenic and she had made similar allegations that had been unproven or the evidence didn't add up so it has you thinking this is just another case of that but then the forensics pulled through and it turned out this guy had actually done so... 

On 03/08/2021 at 10:04, SANTAN said:

Aye I was speaking to someone a bit older and they told me about that turn of phrase. I just found it quite odd to even have that in the show considering the scandals of recent years about such practices, they didn't address it though they just skimmed right part that bit of the process. They surely cannae still be shagging them. That would be classed as rape. 

Given the recent revelations about police infiltrating activist groups up to the point of having family w/ some of the women it wouldn't surprise me.

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Given the recent revelations about police infiltrating activist groups up to the point of having family w/ some of the women it wouldn't surprise me.

Well that's exactly why I found it really strange. Especially considering this has been public knowledge and a hot topic for the past few years. I'm guessing the reason they didn't address it is there probably was foul play and they didn't want to have that conversation on screen. Absolutley foul though considering they view the people in the brothels as slaves. 

House of Games. Not because of that giant annoying twat but the fucking contestants buzzing in with the wrong answer then correcting themselves and shouting out the correct answer so that someone else buzzes in and repeats what they say. Honestly, silly b*****ds the lot of them.

ETA the way the big twatted gulumph presses his buzzer thing.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

On 04/08/2021 at 21:25, Albertlegend said:

I don't believe the 24 Hours in Police Custody are new. I had seen the stabbings one before only discovered after watching it for 2 hours!

The trafficking one was a strange programme altogether

Don't know how to do spoilers so:

*spoliers*

I thought the sentences were ridiculously low, leader gets 5 years, the accomplice gets community service as does the madame. Not only that the Brazilian end up coming back to the UK to go into sex work again herself! 

Stabbing one the one in the woods?

I've just watched that. The lack of motive is frightening. I mean they probably tried to justify it to themselves in some way but I really got the impression they just thought they were living some movie lifestyle. 

The Deer Hunter with Robert de Niro and Christopher Walken is on tonight, BBC2 11.05. 3 hours long so might not stay up for it. The reason I mention it is that I just worked out it's 43 years since I saw it when it first came out. I am fucking ancient, thank f**k I'm pickled or I'd probably rot.

The Deer Hunter with Robert de Niro and Christopher Walken is on tonight, BBC2 11.05. 3 hours long so might not stay up for it. The reason I mention it is that I just worked out it's 43 years since I saw it when it first came out. I am fucking ancient, thank f**k I'm pickled or I'd probably rot.
I watched this a few years ago and was massively disappointed. I'm obviously not cultured enough to appreciate the hour-long wedding scene at the start of the film.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I watched this a few years ago and was massively disappointed. I'm obviously not cultured enough to appreciate the hour-long wedding scene at the start of the film.

Haven't seen it since it came out, maybe it was more powerful when the Vietnam war was fresher in the memory. Quite enjoying watching all these Hollywood stars back when nobody heard of them, some of the acting and script is fucking awful now. :lol: 

Walken... "I like the trees. You know? I like the way the trees are in the mountains, all different." (smiley vacant look). :1eye

P.S. I see what you mean about the wedding, jeez....

P.P.S  Can't believe I remembered this as a good film. Good wholesome American boys destroyed by the innate evil of the Vietnamese.

Edited by welshbairn

Haven't seen it since it came out, maybe it was more powerful when the Vietnam war was fresher in the memory. Quite enjoying watching all these Hollywood stars back when nobody heard of them, some of the acting and script is fucking awful now. [emoji38] 
Walken... "I like the trees. You know? I like the way the trees are in the mountains, all different." (smiley vacant look). :1eye
P.S. I see what you mean about the wedding, jeez....
P.P.S  Can't believe I remembered this as a good film. Good wholesome American boys destroyed by the innate evil of the Vietnamese.

I wad genuinely raging that I'd lost the best part of 3 hours of my life to it.

Walken is tremendous, and a few scenes have become iconic - but f**k me it's a shite film.

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

"Isn't the British countryside / coast beautiful" type programmes are grinding my gears just now.  Must have reached saturation point a few years ago.

You know what we really need just now? More NC500.

Bbc ones are basically desperate attempts to justify the licence fee by producing promotional material. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Bbc ones are basically desperate attempts to justify the licence fee by producing promotional material. 

The BBC is basically cooking shows, wildlife shows, gardening shows, quiz shows hobby craft shite like the Great British Sewing Bee and the Great Pottery Throwdown. 
Twee, parochial garbage which they believe reflects the Britain they imagine exists. 

On 08/08/2021 at 14:37, Thorongil said:

The BBC is basically cooking shows, wildlife shows, gardening shows, quiz shows hobby craft shite like the Great British Sewing Bee and the Great Pottery Throwdown. 
Twee, parochial garbage which they believe reflects the Britain they imagine exists. 

Fuckin hell, you make me want to pay a license fee now, that sounds class. 

Except for the quiz shows. Things annoying me right now are the sheer amount of utter shite quiz shows. 

Gardening, nature and cooking shows are great. Countryfile is utterly marvellous telly.