Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 23/01/2021 at 18:00, Mark Connolly said:

Not sure how far you are into the series so will put the next bit in spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Ritchie is an absolute fucking c**t, and the stuff with Colin was heartbreaking

Just finished it now. What a series. Russell T Davies is an absolute master of his craft and I'll not hear otherwise.

Spoiler

Fucking hell. Episode 3 left me in bits. What happened to Colin was utterly heartbreaking. Ritchie was an absolute c**t, you're right. Took after his mum.

I'm three episodes into It's A Sin, fantastic so far.  That whole time period must have been absolutely terrifying for gay men, who often faced up to this isolated from the normal support networks of family etc and who were ostracised from society at that point.  The different reactions you see from the people involved are played so well and naturally, you can understand why some people just avoided thinking about it or rfefused to believe it.  It would be hard enough to process something like that when you are 50 let along 20.

Andrew Sullivan wrote a piece in the early 90s about what facing up to a tidal wave of death was like for the gay men in New York at that time, It's A Sin reminded me of that - https://newrepublic.com/article/113639/andrew-sullivans-gay-life-gay-death-1990

Three Men Four Wheels

New 10 part motoring series on Discovery Plus. Marino Franchitti and two other blokes take turns at picking a classic/race car which they discuss then MF drives. About 23 minutes per episode but would've been better at double that. A bit too much chat and not enough driving round the track but still worth a watch for petrol heads.

Pariah- The lives and death of Sonny Liston  on Sky documentaries 

The Architecture the railways built on The Yesterday channel 

Mackintosh : Glasgow's Neglected Genius on The BBC Scotland channel 

Mackintosh's Tea Room  on The BBC Scotland channel 

all of the above are all worth a watch 

On 22/01/2021 at 22:02, The Naitch said:

It's A Sin started on Channel 4 tonight. Wow.

Hope the rest of the series lives up to that first episode.

I binge watched the entire series yesterday. Laughed and cried in equal measure. Excellent tv.

On 01/02/2021 at 14:38, ICTChris said:

I'm three episodes into It's A Sin, fantastic so far.  That whole time period must have been absolutely terrifying for gay men, who often faced up to this isolated from the normal support networks of family etc and who were ostracised from society at that point.  The different reactions you see from the people involved are played so well and naturally, you can understand why some people just avoided thinking about it or rfefused to believe it.  It would be hard enough to process something like that when you are 50 let along 20.

Andrew Sullivan wrote a piece in the early 90s about what facing up to a tidal wave of death was like for the gay men in New York at that time, It's A Sin reminded me of that - https://newrepublic.com/article/113639/andrew-sullivans-gay-life-gay-death-1990

You’ve excellent recall of interesting news articles from various sources.

Document: 72 hours, on the NHK World tv channel, Tues mornings.

As the title, a camera crew spends 3 days in a specific location in Japan asking folk why they're there, what it means to them etc.

Locations vary from a classic motorbike rally, a Tokyo city off-licence, carp fishing pond, National Parks etc 

Fascinating 

6 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Document: 72 hours, on the NHK World tv channel, Tues mornings.

As the title, a camera crew spends 3 days in a specific location in Japan asking folk why they're there, what it means to them etc.

Locations vary from a classic motorbike rally, a Tokyo city off-licence, carp fishing pond, National Parks etc 

Fascinating 

Totally addicted to NHK these days.  Fully expecting @sjc to pop up with an AdLib Dale Carrick moment at some point.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Totally addicted to NHK these days.  Fully expecting @sjc to pop up with an AdLib Dale Carrick moment at some point.

Yeah, it's a gem of a tv channel, France24 can be good too, more news based mind you. 

Hope @sjc is ok, know he's been fighting serious illness.