Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

On 27/10/2020 at 17:45, Clockwork said:

Frank Skinner & Denise Mina retrace the 1773 journey by Dr Samuel Johnson & James Boswell to Iona and the Hebrides ( Sky Arts), well worth a viewing. emoji106.png

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18732007.odd-couple-defining-hebridean-odyssey/

Excellent stuff , I'd highly recommend it 

The Secret Life of the Berlin Wall, BBC4 (last week)

Interesting documentary using folks who were affected by The Wall in different ways, mother of the last person to be shot trying to escape, a Stasi officer, a tunneller, protest leaders etc.

Worth watching 

Documentary on Channel 5 last night about The Kennedys . Someone somewhere really must have a put a serious hex on this family it's hard to believe so much tragedy could be heaped on one single family.  They weren't ever going to win family of the year award though and  Joe senior certainly wasn't a very nice guy and some of his actions regarding his daughters were shocking , interesting stuff though 

4 minutes ago, stanton said:

Documentary on Channel 5 last night about The Kennedys . Someone somewhere really must have a put a serious hex on this family it's hard to believe so much tragedy could be heaped on one single family.  They weren't ever going to win family of the year award though and  Joe senior certainly wasn't a very nice guy and some of his actions regarding his daughters were shocking , interesting stuff though 

Wait till it reaches the Bush family and the Bin Laden house guests.

6 hours ago, stanton said:

Joe was a saint compared to that evil bigoted witch wife.

Not a great episode. There are no bad Colombo episodes though.
I quite enjoy it. The worst part of the whole episode for me is when Connolly's character discovers the boy lying dead and gives a strange monologue. It always annoys me for some reason.

The closest to a bad Columbo episode for me is No Time To Die. As close to boring as it gets. Not knowing the murderer beforehand takes away the show's USP as well. The later ones aren't as good but I still thoroughly enjoy and rewatch them.

I'm genuinely watching Etude in Black as I type [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
19 hours ago, Detournement said:
There's an episode of Columbo with Billy Connolly on 5USA the now.
Peak hangover TV.

Not a great episode. There are no bad Colombo episodes though.

I would disagree. There were two episodes based on 87th Precinct novels by Ed McBain - great books but light years away from the usual Columbo format. They could have been made with any generic TV detective.

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

I recently found the first series of Taggart being shown on DRAMA. Great stuff but the early 80s look like a completely different world in so many ways.

Any series set in the 1980s or earlier looks odd when you see an office with not a computer in sight.

On 02/11/2020 at 19:34, Bert Raccoon said:

I.loike watching the old Taggarts as well, people smoking in offices, drinking on the job and orange busses everywhere. A simpler time.

Strathclyde red buses