Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

Firemen Sam s a few posts back I know, but I think it's worth mentioning that Norman Price is pure evil 
This is the issue with it these days. Aside from the shitty CGI, they have list the story completely and missed the mark on the characters. Norman was always a bit naughty but hes now portrayed via terrible writing as a right little c**t. The use of technology is Paw Patrol esque too. Fireman Sam was a simple formula and they have utterly fucked it.

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Little Britain DVDs would easily be in the top 10 if anyone compiled a "most donated to charity shops" list.

Not that long ago one of the charity shop chains asked people not to donate any more Dan Brown books because they had shedloads of the things and couldn't shift them.

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Not that long ago one of the charity shop chains asked people not to donate any more Dan Brown books because they had shedloads of the things and couldn't shift them.

Yeah. At one point we could've built a house out of them.

Probably the closest to that now is Fifty Shades of Grey. You constantly get the entire series being handed in at once, complete with dodgy-looking fingerprint marks from...you know  :shutup

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, paranoid android said:
Firemen Sam s a few posts back I know, but I think it's worth mentioning that Norman Price is pure evil 

This is the issue with it these days. Aside from the shitty CGI, they have list the story completely and missed the mark on the characters. Norman was always a bit naughty but hes now portrayed via terrible writing as a right little c**t. The use of technology is Paw Patrol esque too. Fireman Sam was a simple formula and they have utterly fucked it.

To be fair, though, I always thought Norman Price was a right little c**t. 

I'm sure I saw it mentioned a few months ago but I've been watching The World At War with my son at lunchtime as an attempt to say I've been doing some sort of home-learning with him. I'd never seen it before but it's incredibly well put together and i can't recommend it highly enough. We're now half-way through the 26 episodes (available on catch-up on the Yesterday channel) and can't think of any other documentary which my son has gone out of his way to ask me if we can watch it.

I had no idea the Second World War was filmed so extensively from all sides - the footage they have and the level of interviewee is really quite astonishing. I know this sounds this sounds grim but the absurdity occasionally provides a small element of back humour which, at times, is badly needed.

25 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm sure I saw it mentioned a few months ago but I've been watching The World At War with my son at lunchtime as an attempt to say I've been doing some sort of home-learning with him. I'd never seen it before but it's incredibly well put together and i can't recommend it highly enough. We're now half-way through the 26 episodes (available on catch-up on the Yesterday channel) and can't think of any other documentary which my son has gone out of his way to ask me if we can watch it.

I had no idea the Second World War was filmed so extensively from all sides - the footage they have and the level of interviewee is really quite astonishing. I know this sounds this sounds grim but the absurdity occasionally provides a small element of back humour which, at times, is badly needed.

Try to get hold of The Great War, similar series about World War One, made in 1964 when those who took part were still for the most part bright and alert and come over that way in the interviews.

Fawlty Towers episode 'The Germans' facing the axe now for its 'racial slurs and upsetting scenes' now. Cleese is not a happy chappy. 

Instead of getting all huffy and puffy, why can't the offended and upset just not watch what upsets them, leave the people who do enjoy it to enjoy it, and just get quietly on with their lives? Or just f**k off!!! Whichever is easier. 

The fact that Eastenders and Coronation St gets churned out on a weekly basis makes my teeth itch. I solve this by not watching them. It's remarkably easy. I'm not shouting from the soshul meedja rooftops to ban them though.  No fucker would listen anyways :) 

I think we need to just ban all comedy up to about the week before last just to make sure everybody is happy. 

1 minute ago, Trackdaybob said:

Fawlty Towers episode 'The Germans' facing the axe now for its 'racial slurs and upsetting scenes' now. Cleese is not a happy chappy. 

Instead of getting all huffy and puffy, why can't the offended and upset just not watch what upsets them, leave the people who do enjoy it to enjoy it, and just get quietly on with their lives? Or just f**k off!!! Whichever is easier. 

The fact that Eastenders and Coronation St gets churned out on a weekly basis makes my teeth itch. I solve this by not watching them. It's remarkably easy. I'm not shouting from the soshul meedja rooftops to ban them though.  No fucker would listen anyways :) 

I think we need to just ban all comedy up to about the week before last just to make sure everybody is happy. 

He was contacted years ago by the BBC as they wanted to edit out the Major's rant, he agreed that it was probably be best, he was quite happy to go along with it.

It's the unedited version that's been withdrawn.

9 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

he agreed that it was probably be best, he was quite happy to go along with it.

I did not know that but it doesn't allude to that here

28 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

For me the irony is that the show was a total piss-take of the Basil character, the little Englander/not in my back yard type.

I remember reading that Germans were amongst the shows biggest fans. They got the joke.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

For me the irony is that the show was a total piss-take of the Basil character, the little Englander/not in my back yard type.

I remember reading that Germans were amongst the shows biggest fans. They got the joke.

Exactly. There was no narrative malice toward the German visitors, nor Germans in general; the scene ends with you pitying them, having to endure this walloper and his stupidity.

Even the Major's wee racist rant had some value, as it shows Basil's boredom with his overt racism and stupidity (before obviously revealing his own when incapacitated). The audience laughter comes from hearing some out-of-touch old fossil chucking about racist terminology like it's still the height of the Raj.

Still, John Cleese has a few prejudices of his own, so anything that brings out his chippiness can't be a bad thing.

The fact that Eastenders and Coronation St gets churned out on a weekly basis makes my teeth itch. I solve this by not watching them. It's remarkably easy. I'm not shouting from the soshul meedja rooftops to ban them though.  No fucker would listen anyways [emoji4] 
Said elsewhere that it's a can of worms opened. Where does it end? The LGBT community have a lot of cases where they could claim to be offended. Women have a shitload of claims with regards to sexism. The Irish and Catholics could lose their heads over Father Ted ffs! You could go through every sitcom and find something offensive to someone.

Even in episodes where now offensive words are used (OFAH mention a Paki shop in one episode. N word being used in FT), why pull the episode and try and kid on it never happened? Should we not keep these accessible if for no other reason than to see how far we have come as a society?

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You could go through every sitcom and find something offensive to someone

Life is far too short. For me anyway. They seem hell bent on it now though. Tip of the iceberg methinks. 

The fact that some people feel the need to trawl through the televisual mists of time to highlight 'incorrectness' (by today's standards) in something broadcast 20-30 years and more ago says (to me anyways) that the (preceived) problem may actually be with them.  

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Exactly. There was no narrative malice toward the German visitors, nor Germans in general; the scene ends with you pitying them, having to endure this walloper and his stupidity.

Even the Major's wee racist rant had some value, as it shows Basil's boredom with his overt racism and stupidity (before obviously revealing his own when incapacitated). The audience laughter comes from hearing some out-of-touch old fossil chucking about racist terminology like it's still the height of the Raj.

Still, John Cleese has a few prejudices of his own, so anything that brings out his chippiness can't be a bad thing.

John Cleese is very much a little Englander, although doing so the comfort of his California beach house.

56 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

John Cleese is very much a little Englander, although doing so the comfort of his California beach house.

It comes to us all. It's inevitable that we'll catch ourselves ranting about PC-gone-mad someday and realise, with mounting despair instead of the expected horror, that we have become Yer Da.

Yer Da awaits, and you'll never see him coming.

Ooh, ooh, just saw an old episode of The IT Crowd featuring a transgender woman. A running gag through the episode is that, even though she's now a woman, she still does everything like a stereotypical man! Ha ha, my stars.

Could someone threaten to pull that episode from rotation please? Considering Graham Linehan is utterly obsessed with trans women knowing their place, the tantrum would be incredible.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Said elsewhere that it's a can of worms opened. Where does it end? The LGBT community have a lot of cases where they could claim to be offended. Women have a shitload of claims with regards to sexism. The Irish and Catholics could lose their heads over Father Ted ffs! You could go through every sitcom and find something offensive to someone.

Even in episodes where now offensive words are used (OFAH mention a Paki shop in one episode. N word being used in FT), why pull the episode and try and kid on it never happened? Should we not keep these accessible if for no other reason than to see how far we have come as a society?

The first episode of Minder, "Gunfight at the OK Laundrette"  features Terry boldly using the 'N' word, surprisingly it endured for 11 series after that.