Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

Ronnie O'Sullivan's American Hustle on the History channel. Ronnie and his mate travel to US cities (New York, Chicago, Memphis and San Francisco) and try to hustle locals and professionals at pool.
Not a bad four part series, travelling in classic American cars and visiting historic pool halls and local tourist sites.
Some real characters interviewed but Ronnie really is as thick as a pub pool cue, vacuous.

Not a Ronnie fan, but I have quite enjoyed the series.

He is, as you say, massively thick.

"Who's Mark Twain?", FFS.

Tried watching SS-GB earlier and gave up.  Dull, slow and ponderous.  I read the Len Deighton novel on which it's based 20 years ago and enjoyed it so I may give it another chance.

I did watch the first episode of SAS: Rogue Warriors though and will watch parts 2 and 3.  Definitely not the usual fawning, boys-own stuff one would expect.

On 2/21/2017 at 23:15, jmothecat said:

Speaking of Nazis I see BBC 4 have been repeating 1990s documentary 'Nazis: A warning from history'

Very very good, difficult not to compare it to contemporary politics.

Bollocks. Missed the start of this again and they don't seem to be on 'On Demand'

It goes without saying that the c**t from the Plusnet adverts should be fired from a sandpaper lined cannon into the sun, but the one that's on just now where he goes full Partridge when "helping" the white van man reverse into a space makes me want to gouge my own eyes out with a teaspoon.

On 21/02/2017 at 22:58, The_Kincardine said:

Tried watching SS-GB earlier and gave up.  Dull, slow and ponderous.  I read the Len Deighton novel on which it's based 20 years ago and enjoyed it so I may give it another chance.

I did watch the first episode of SAS: Rogue Warriors though and will watch parts 2 and 3.  Definitely not the usual fawning, boys-own stuff one would expect.

I read SS-GB not long after Fatherland by Robert Harris (was clearly keen on the Alternative History stuff at the time) and felt a bit disappointed with the former compared to the latter. Thought I'd give this adaptation a go and feel the same sense of disappointment - lots of telling us what happened rather than showing us what happened and find some of the acting a bit wooden. Not as wooden as Rutger Huer in the awful TV movie of Fatherland mind you.

On 21/02/2017 at 23:15, jmothecat said:

Speaking of Nazis I see BBC 4 have been repeating 1990s documentary 'Nazis: A warning from history'

Very very good, difficult not to compare it to contemporary politics.

Is this still on? I remember it being really good when it was on first time round. I'll have to look in the iPlayer app when I get home.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I read SS-GB not long after Fatherland by Robert Harris (was clearly keen on the Alternative History stuff at the time) and felt a bit disappointed with the former compared to the latter. Thought I'd give this adaptation a go and feel the same sense of disappointment - lots of telling us what happened rather than showing us what happened and find some of the acting a bit wooden. Not as wooden as Rutger Huer in the awful TV movie of Fatherland mind you.

I also read your post on the SS-GB specific thread and you're absolutely right.  A missed opportunity.  I won't watch any more episodes.

I've watched little telly this week but did watch "Defiance" last night...a 'true story' of Jewish resistance in Poland/Belarus during WW2.  I think there're only 10 days left to see it on iPlayer but you'll thank me later:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b013j3cr/defiance