Battle of Brittain - Ross County vs St Johnstone

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always find it bizarre that fans get so excited about players coming in who haven't trained with their new team mates, yet instantly fire them into their fantasy line up for Saturday!

Is there a guarantee that these players will gel immediately?

No, there's not a guarantee. I mean there's no guarantee that they'll be any success at this level. But football fans tend more towards blind optimism about such thing. And Slew came in & had an immediate impact on his debut, so you let us have our fantasy of debutants always living up to expectations.

No, there's not a guarantee. I mean there's no guarantee that they'll be any success at this level. But football fans tend more towards blind optimism about such thing. And Slew came in & had an immediate impact on his debut, Iso you let us have our fantasy of debutants always living up to expectations.

Fair enough, just reminds me of your optimism when the Dutch invaded in the summer and they've hardly been outstanding. is this the reason for the 3 signings and more to come, because Adams bought badly in the summer?

Fair enough, just reminds me of your optimism when the Dutch invaded in the summer and they've hardly been outstanding. is this the reason for the 3 signings and more to come, because Adams bought badly in the summer?

Queue all the Dutch boys to play and score tomorrow :(

I don't think Adams bought badly in the summer. I think he bought naively. Luckassen (20/21), Maatsen (22/23) and Klok (20/21) were always going to take a while to 'bed in' particularly given their ages and that they were coming from a country with a (CLICHE ALERT) 'different footballing culture'. De Leeuw has been one of County's highlights this season (which almost does him a disservice given that County have been horrendous).

The point stands though, County are active this window because of transfer errors during the summer. Personally I think the issue wasn't bad business, it was a case of not enough business.

Cheers for being honest, just seems a bit bizarre considering the activity in the summer and now this window.

Adams will have a lot riding on this window considering the dosh splashed by Roy between this and summer. Regardless of how rich he is, it's his own money that was squandered in the summer and he'll clearly want a return on the iinvestment.

Cheers for being honest, just seems a bit bizarre considering the activity in the summer and now this window.

Adams will have a lot riding on this window considering the dosh splashed by Roy between this and summer. Regardless of how rich he is, it's his own money that was squandered in the summer and he'll clearly want a return on the iinvestment.

People say this but I don't think Uncle Roy has splashed too much cash in comparison to last season.

Vigurs, Lawson, Hainault, Sproule, Munro, Wohlfarth, Gallacher, Fotheringham have all left since the end of last season. That eight have been replaced by another seven (presumably cheaper because Adams explicitly stated that foreign players had lower wage demands than their Scottish counterpart) prior to January 2014. Oikonomou has departed and then returned, probably on the same wage. Add to this that Mustafi arrived on-loan then left a couple of days back and we've seen:

10 out (including Iko)

11 in (including Iko + 2 loan players)

Ultimately it's all conjecture as I'm not privy to any wage information but I reckon that County's wage budget this season is very similar to last season's wage budget, if not marginally lower. I believe it's certainly in the bottom four wage budgets in the league.

That said, there's bound to be a short-term hit to the wage budget though with loanees arriving from Blackburn, Rotherham and (hopefully) Cardiff.

Starting 11 from the 4-0 debacle in August, which was probably the worst I have seen us play in several years.

Brown

Gordon Boyd Micic Saunders

Sproule Brittain Quinn de Leeuw Carey

Ross

From that, only Boyd, Brittain and Carey are certain starters imo.

Fraser is currently no.1, Gordon although improving maybe replaced by Oikonomou? I doubt it, Oik hasn't been playing much.

McLean will partner Boyd, Saunders is reportedly injured, Kovacevic on compassionate leave, so right-back is our problem especially if Ketts out too. Micic? Yikes.

Sproule gone, Quinn, de Leeuw and Ross likely subs.

Will Tidser go straight in?

Slew most certainly will following his impressive debut v Caley.

We have run under budget so far this season as Adams declined the option to sign more players as we lost more than we gained. Adams thought he had enough within the squad....we clearly didn't

We are very similar clubs in terms of size but we have a smaller budget than Saints so uncle Roy gives no more than the Browns to Saints.

Oh apart from the £4m he gave to you guys for Brittain

I imagine MacGregor gives more to County as the Browns don't give anything to us. In fact MacGregors probably spent more money buying players for us than the Browns over the past few years, I think its quite fitting that Wotherspoons only goal so far has been against County

I'm not sure what our playing budget is but if the stories are true, we cut our playing budget by 50% this year which I think is too drastic but our gate receipts are certainly nowhere near enough to allow a large well paid squad. Which would also add to randomguys comment that the Brown's don't really give us anything.

The last time they did was it not Geoff paying for Billy dodds?

Fair enough...If they give you nothing they are doing an amazing job balancing the books

I'm not going to lie and tell you I know these things for certain. But theres been numerous Saints fans who would know more about it than me mention the fact the Browns don't put any money in to the club, and we rely heavily on the Muirton Suite and Hospitality

Tommy Wright has a duty to the poor sods like Radford who go to every away game to alter his attitude when it comes to our style of play on the road. If I didn't think he was a genuinely good guy I would say it was completely arrogant. In reality I think he just has an ideal about how the game SHOULD be played and while it works at home, the statistics show it is not working on the road and it's his job to change that. Even if we could improve that away form a just a little, it could go a long way to consolidating a top six finish. Which, considering the vast improvements at clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee United from last season, would still be a good season for us, even though we got into Europe last year.

We are better than Ross County. We have the players to beat them and if this game was in Perth we would not even be questioning that. We wiped the floor with them in August and they haven't improved much since then from what I have seen. The problem is in the tactics, not the quality of the players. Sometimes you have to play ugly. We kept it tight at Easter Road, we need to defend like that tomorrow. Stevie May can feed off of very little and he can create something out of nothing.

Archived