Battle of Brittain - Ross County vs St Johnstone

Sorry, I only created this for the awful pun in the title. Obviously County are going into this one off the back of a morale boosting win over Inverness, while St Johnstone suffer a 4-0 hammering to Motherwell. Not that you'd imagine that has much impact on the result, St Johnstone still have to be favourites.

Derek Adams apparently has a couple of new faces up his sleeve, Oikonomou could well have international clearance by Saturday, but maybe not. Either way, can't imagine there will be too much change to a side that finally won a game, though as Bungle Bonce said, it'd be interesting to see how De Leeuw links up with Slew upfront.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I only created this for the awful pun in the title. Obviously County are going into this one off the back of a morale boosting win over Inverness, while St Johnstone suffer a 4-0 hammering to Motherwell. Not that you'd imagine that has much impact on the result, St Johnstone still have to be favourites.

Derek Adams apparently has a couple of new faces up his sleeve, Oikonomou could well have international clearance by Saturday, but maybe not. Either way, can't imagine there will be too much change to a side that finally won a game, though as Bungle Bonce said, it'd be interesting to see how De Leeuw links up with Slew upfront.

Have a look at our away form in 2013 - you may then change your mind.

at least 2-0 County and Brittain will score.

Have a look at our away form in 2013 - you may then change your mind.

at least 2-0 County and Brittain will score.

I'm too lazy to actually look, but I can't imagine our home form this season is much better.

Without appearing to state the obvious, if we get it right tactically we have a chance, if we don't then the best we'll get is a fortunate 0-0 draw. Although guys like May and Hasselbaink are undoubtedly talented, we aren't the sort of side that can chance our luck away from home and pinch something it appears on the evidence of this season, we have to get it right in the way we're set up to take something and unfortunately, that didn't happen nearly enough in 2013.

I thought Wright got the team alright today against Motherwell but the manner we went about things left us far too open. With respect to County (and not knowing about their new faces) they maybe don't have the individuals that can hurt us like Motherwell did but if we leave ourselves as exposed again, they will create chances and at home most likely get a goal. Somewhere between the defensive solidity we saw at Thistle and Hibs and the attacking threat we did display at times at Fir Park would be ideal but the manager is struggling to find it.

I'm too lazy to actually look, but I can't imagine our home form this season is much better.

We have three home wins to their one away win. Across the whole of 2013 they have three away league wins and we have nine home league wins, so despite our very bad form are home form is superior to St Johnstone's away form.

I can't see Adams tinkering too much with the side that beat Caley. De Leeuw might come in if fully fit but considering how well Carey, Glen, Slew and Cooper played today I do not think Adams will start him.

We have three home wins to their one away win. Across the whole of 2013 they have three away league wins and we have nine home league wins, so despite our very bad form are home form is superior to St Johnstone's away form.

Cripes. That's dreadful. And St Johnstone are still in the top 6 with that away form? They must be practically unbeatable in Perth.

I can't see Adams tinkering too much with the side that beat Caley. De Leeuw might come in if fully fit but considering how well Carey, Glen, Slew and Cooper played today I do not think Adams will start him.

It would be unlike Adams if he were to change the side, unless injuries require him to do so.

Cripes. That's dreadful. And St Johnstone are still in the top 6 with that away form? They must be practically unbeatable in Perth.

Home league record in 2013 and 2014:

Played 19, Won 12, Drawn 4, Lost 3, For 33, Against 12.

Away league record in 2013 and 2014:

Played 18, Won 3, Drawn 5, Lost 10, For 14, Against 32.

Two of the home defeats were in our last three matches, so we were one defeat in sixteen at one point, plus at least a couple of games from the back end of 2012.

The manager can't get it right away from home in the league unfortunately. When we manage to shut teams out we can't score ourselves but it jumps from that to being too open and usually conceding at least a couple of goals.

I'd happily give County their £40,000 back to ensure Micic plays (anywhere) on Saturday.

Without sucking up too much, hopefully bunglebonce is going to the game as looking forward to hearing what he makes of the way we set out.

Fraser

Micic McLean Boyd Oikonomou(?)

Carey Brittain Kiss(?) Gordon (D.A's plan seems to be to move him further up, rather than bench him, afaik)

Glen Slew

With Kovacevic off home, Micic is the only defensive cover available if Saunders is an injury doubt. If Ketts is injured then that would solve the issue of who we bench for Kiss to come in, if he is available. If Kiss isn't available, perhaps put Coops or De Leeuw in on the right and shove Carey back into the centre?

Glen works well when he has someone to play off him, and Slew certainly looked sharp yesterday. They are more than capable of getting a goal between the two of them, surely.

Defensively, I think a clean sheet on Saturday should be the target. 1-0 County. Optimistic, but achievable, and it would do wonders for confidence at home - we need to turn Dingwall into a fortress again! I'm still fuming after the trip to Perth in August, 4-0 flattered us there, in all honesty.

Welcome to the forum, Wyvis.

looking forward to hearing what he makes of the way we set out.

Forgive me: I might be too busy gushing over County having a forward who can dictate terms to centre-backs for the first time in the top flight... even if he's more Gregory Tadé than Ricardo Fuller.

Hang on County fans are predicting line ups with players they haven't even signed. Well in that case, I'm sure Rooney will make an excellent partner for May (before his United move) and they will score a goal each in a 2-0* saints win.

*got to be realistic after all.

Welcome to the forum, Wyvis.

Cheers pal.

Hang on County fans are predicting line ups with players they haven't even signed. Well in that case, I'm sure Rooney will make an excellent partner for May (before his United move) and they will score a goal each in a 2-0* saints win.

It's not unreasonable to include Kiss and Oikonomou in a possible lineup for Sat, considering Kiss was sighted at the Highland derby and Oikonomou is just waiting for international clearance. It is true that they aren't eligible yet, hence the (?)'s.

Yeah that's a similar prediction, right enough.

post-28369-Cheryl-Cole-ok-eye-roll-gif-w

Archived