Bolton Wanderers Debt - £163.8m

mozam76

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton won't be alone, the English league setup will be littered with clubs that have tried to achieve and simply spent far too much money. A pity considering Bolton on the face of it look like a solid community club, I know they try to do quite a bit off the field, but their fan base is very low and their attendances have been plummeting since they got relegated.

You wonder how much QPR will have lost by the end of this season, they only average around 1,500 more fans than Bolton, yet their wage bill will likely be far higher

WOW! Just WOW!

How/why do football clubs do this to themselves?

Premiership clubs got £40+ million just for playing in the league plus when they are relegated they get parachute payments over 4 seasons! approx £16 million for 2 years and then £8 million for the next 2 years after that. they have been down 2 years so thats already £32 million extra.

So what exactly do they spend money on?

Is this the same team who was desperate for the EPL to be a closed shop? If so, then pleasing news.

Yes, his name escapes me but their CEO was the man behind the plan for a standalone 2-division EPL: 18 teams in each making 34 in total, with 32 English clubs plus Rangers + Celtic. It was roundly rejected at the same time as Scudamore's famous "never means never" quote.

You wonder how much QPR will have lost by the end of this season, they only average around 1,500 more fans than Bolton, yet their wage bill will likely be far higher

I was reading on the BBC website that QPR could be facing a fine of £60m (yes that is *sixty million pounds*) next season, under the Football League's version of Financial Fair Play introduced 2yrs ago, if they are promoted. Blackburn facing similar figures. It's quite incredible.

If FL clubs run a loss over £8m the fines start, and if you are promoted running a loss then you effectively get fined via their 'Fair Play Tax'.

EDIT:

Financial Fair Play
  • Championship clubs have to reduce losses, season-on-season, to a maximum of £5m (£3m can be funded by shareholders) by 2015-16
  • Championship clubs are permitted losses of £8m (£5m funded by shareholders) in 2013-14
  • Championship sanctions start in January 2015
  • League One and League Two clubs have limit on spending as a percentage of turnover
  • League One and League Two sanctions already in place

Central to this is Financial Fair Play , a subject that sounds dull and is certainly complicated but one that is incredibly important.

The aim of FFP is to stop clubs from spending wildly beyond their means and thus prevent a repeat of the financial disasters that have befallen the likes of Portsmouth in recent years.

By this time next year the Football League will have analysed the financial reports of its 72 clubs from this season.

Those documents have to be submitted by 1 December and Championship clubs losing more than £8m after various exclusions will be put under a transfer embargo starting in January 2015 if they remain in the second tier, or face a fine - the Fair Play Tax - if they have won promotion to the Premier League.

Recent stories have claimed QPR and Blackburn in particular could face huge fines pushing £60m if they are promoted.

Yes, his name escapes me but their CEO was the man behind the plan for a standalone 2-division EPL: 18 teams in each making 34 in total, with 32 English clubs plus Rangers + Celtic. It was roundly rejected at the same time as Scudamore's famous "never means never" quote.

I was reading on the BBC website that QPR could be facing a fine of £60m (yes that is *sixty million pounds*) next season, under the Football League's version of Financial Fair Play introduced 2yrs ago, if they are promoted. Blackburn facing similar figures. It's quite incredible.

If FL clubs run a loss over £8m the fines start, and if you are promoted running a loss then you effectively get fined via their 'Fair Play Tax'.

Phil Gartside?

And they should be getting fined, its an incredible example of financial doping. No side in the Championship should have a central midfield three of Kranjcar, Barton and Benayoun. They've also got a strike force of Zamora, Johnson and Austin and apparently after another forward :lol: its crazy

Phil Gartside?

That's him.

And they should be getting fined, its an incredible example of financial doping. No side in the Championship should have a central midfield three of Kranjcar, Barton and Benayoun. They've also got a strike force of Zamora, Johnson and Austin and apparently after another forward :lol: its crazy

And yet they're currently 18th of 24!!

QPR are also going to be building a 40,000 seat stadium just up the road. Tony Fernandes seems to have a bit of cash to spend and doesn't seem as mental as other foreign owners but still...

Bolton having £161m is mental. Any other company would have been bust years ago.

The most remarkable figure is the £50.7 million Bolton lost last season alone, almost a third of the total debt that's been built up over a number of years. A hefty price to finish seventh in the second division.

I know the bottom line is the same in that they're trying to buy a position they can't really afford but with all but just over £10 million of the debt owed to the owner, Eddie Davies, a local lad made good who is a life long Bolton supporter, I find it a lot easier to take than the like of Chelsea, Man City, QPR, Fulham etc whose owners are just after a status symbol toy. He may have loads more money than sense but I doubt many of us would complain if we had a similar supporter pumping his pocket money into us knowing it would never need paid back. We'd just expect to be a tad higher than the bottom half of the second division.

Archived